Teams you care about for various reasons

Spoony

Don't really care about any team other than the Villa, but as Cambridge Utd are my local team and Colchester Utd where I watched them a number of times at the old Layer Road as I lived in Colchester for 4 years doing my apprenticeship, I look out for their results. Same for Brissol City as I used to live there years ago.

Only other team I look out for is Cowdenbeath aka "The Blue Brazil".....ironic nickname as they are, or were, the complete opposite of Brazil. One day I will go and watch them.....

I’ve got quite a few, try to have one in most major leagues, although its more sporadic looking out for results rather than really caring overly.

Newport are probably the only one I care about, my home town team.

After that I have soft spots for all the other welsh clubs (Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham), Motherwell (loved the badge as a kid in the sticker book), Bordeaux (cos we played them in the 90’s), Ajax (because Amsterdam is the coolest city on the planet), Eintracht Frankfurt (cos my old man brought me back a replica shirt in the early 90’s, which I still have), Barcelona (cos who couldn’t fall in love with watching them when they had Ronaldinho, and latterly Messi), Sampdoria (cos of Platty).

Think that’s it although I’ve accumulated a lot of other clubs’ shirts too over the years as I used to have a bit of a penchant for collecting them.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Newport are probably the only one I care about, my home town team.

After that I have soft spots for all the other welsh clubs (Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham), Motherwell (loved the badge as a kid in the sticker book)

So that's at least two Newport likers on here then (you and bobzy). I also like Welsh teams to do well and would usually be happy for Newport to win but... not today as they're playing my little wombles ! 

I think I remember that Motherwell badge more or less from my Panini sticker albums. When I was little I liked Morton's badge so decided they were my Scottish team. 😄 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, robby b said:

So that's at least two Newport likers on here then (you and bobzy). I also like Welsh teams to do well and would usually be happy for Newport to win but... not today as they're playing my little wombles ! 

I think I remember that Motherwell badge more or less from my Panini sticker albums. When I was little I liked Saint Mirren's colourful badge so decided they were my Scottish team. 😄 

Newport - Wimbledon been postponed just FYI 

Shrewsbury - Dad's mate came from there before moving to Australia. So whenever I wanted a lower league team on a FIFA or FM 20 years ago I used to start as them. Then I got two of my closest mates doing the same thing somehow. Now we all check the results and watch their highlights. In the end when the three of us travelled over to the UK & Europe in 2015 as well as me personally taking in as many Villa games I could in the two weeks I was in England, we went to a Tuesday night game in Shrewsbury together.

Hertha - On the aforementioned Europe trip we visited Berlin. I loved it and thought it was a cool city so I adopted Hertha as my German team after visiting the Olympiastadion. 

Other teams I keep an eye on checking their results but don't really "support":

• Fiorentina
  • Real Oviedo
  • Celtic (Ange factor)
Edited by Hornso

I follow Minnesota United pretty closely as my MLS team. It’s great to see how the local community has adopted them and the sport.

Obviously the football quality is nowhere near Villa, and Villa mean way more to me than Minnesota United, but i find it fun. I can actually attend in person and they play through the summer while English football is on holiday.

I kind of enjoyed the little bit of exposure Alvechurch got a few months ago although it did bring back memories of 8 year old me being called a clearing in the woods by one of their ball boys. Had no idea why at the time and I've often wondered.

20+ years in London with Brentford on my doorstep meant I saw a lot more of them than Villa for a good few years. I was done with all the nonsense of the Premier League and enjoyed going back to somewhere that felt like "real" football. Also, Villa was such hard work to enjoy.  Now they're in the top league, with a new stadium, I retain only a passing interest and haven't been to see them live since before covid. I still have a soft spot for them but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them on TV like I would with Villa. 

I also used to have a soft spot for Beitar but that was only because I picked up a shirt of theirs on a trip to Israel and it was a beauty. Genuinely lovely kit. Then I found out what a problematic club they were so I binned it. 

• 4 weeks later...
Â