Jhon Durán

PieFacE

I was a right prick when I was 19 ( I still kind of am but you know what I mean lol )

You can tell he's a hot head, I hope he just doesn't go the route of many talents who lost the plot.

Balotelli etc 

Nothing to indicate this is the case.

However, he does kind of have to be treated like a " son " somewhat.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

I agree - I think this kid does have the attributes to be a great player. I do think however, he will probably have to go elsewhere, before he realises his potential.

I think he’s likely to be a slow burn to the top. But feel sure he will get there.

I feel far less sure. Too many young players that think they've made it before they have fail to deliver on their promise. He's more likely to fall into that category than not,  especially if Emery has had to come out and say that in public. He could have swept it under the carpet. But he brought it into the open. Seems like the softly softly private approach wasnt working on him. 

I will say that I can't think of anyone I'd rather have trying to get him on the right path than Emery though. 

A lot of reading between the lines there, but Emery isn't a man to say those things in public lightly.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was a right prick when I was 19 ( I still kind of am but you know what I mean lol )

You can tell he's a hot head, I hope he just doesn't go the route of many talents who lost the plot.

Balotelli etc 

Nothing to indicate this is the case.

However, he does kind of have to be treated like a " son " somewhat.

Yeah and that’s why I think Emery will hold him to different standards from a senior pro. He’ll be more forgiving of lapses of judgment, and he’ll give him more chances to **** up, but ultimately he’ll want him to buy into the process.

The thing that has surprised me about Emery at Villa is how good a man manager he is. I knew he was a great tactician, but behind the awkward demeanour, he seems to have a good sense of how to handle people. Fairly confident he’ll work out how to deal with Jhon Duran and they’ll end up in a good place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think JPA should have a word with him. 

I know when he joined they had that message from Angel and it was nice for us fans but I wonder how much Duran actually knew about him, being from a different generation. He would have only been 3 years old when he left villa for example 😅

Edited by villan95

19 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

What rot are you lot chatting

He's been injured, and emery has probably been asked about him and emery has said yeah he's a world class talent he just needs to make the most of it. 

I don’t think that’s the full truth. Given the stuff with his social media and now Emery says “I don’t know” when asked if there’s a problem, there’s more than enough reason to think there’s been a bit of an argument. Fights happen all the time at football clubs and they’re rarely made fully public.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

What rot are you lot chatting

He's been injured, and emery has probably been asked about him and emery has said yeah he's a world class talent he just needs to make the most of it. 

Read the quote from Emery again, not saying it’s a huge issue that will cause ongoing problems, but pretty clear he wants him to be more focused - not unusual for a player his age.

You could see early on that he's got a touch of arrogance about him, and that's not necessarily a bad thing in sport, but it is if you think nobody can tell you anything you don't already know. He's probably always dominated his opponents, and now he doesn't get much playing time. He's far from home in an unfamiliar culture and is probably a little bored and restless. Who knows the full story though. 

I was hoping the Latin contingent would make things easier for him, but perhaps not, and that's concerning.

Emery's statement was a definite broadside, but couched in praise to soften the blow. 

An interesting development. Hopefully the young man has people he trusts who are trying to show him the right way forward. 

If he blows this opportunity because of an attitude problem or stubbornness, he'll live to regret it, badly.

• Like 1

In the words of Roy Keane he needs to "relax himself"

He's number 2 striker for a team hoping to push CL under one of the best coaches in the world.

We've heard many a story of a retired pro leaving a good environment and a big club as they were young and ego driven and it all going tits up.

On 04/11/2023 at 23:33, maqroll said:

You could see early on that he's got a touch of arrogance about him, and that's not necessarily a bad thing in sport, but it is if you think nobody can tell you anything you don't already know. He's probably always dominated his opponents, and now he doesn't get much playing time. He's far from home in an unfamiliar culture and is probably a little bored and restless. Who knows the full story though. 

I was hoping the Latin contingent would make things easier for him, but perhaps not, and that's concerning.

Emery's statement was a definite broadside, but couched in praise to soften the blow. 

An interesting development. Hopefully the young man has people he trusts who are trying to show him the right way forward. 

If he blows this opportunity because of an attitude problem or stubbornness, he'll live to regret it, badly.

i always think its funny when clubs assume players of the same nationality or region will get on well. loads of english people i dont like and the countries within Britain universally hate each other. 

Agree with the sentiment though about how difficult it is to settle, particularly at the age of 19.

• Like 1

Â