Pre Match Thread

rjw63

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Any ideas when we'll find out if Moreno is eligible? What's the cutoff beyond which he can't be included in the matchday sqaud?

I'd have thought the deadline for registration already passed, so are we waiting for the FA to confirm that we registered him on time? All a bit weird to not know by now. 

Odd that we always seem to have a delay in playing our new players over permits, Visas or whatever, other clubs esp the topscum 6 dont seem to affect them

I think the starting line up tonight will tell us how we are going to approach this one. I think we’ll miss McGinn and it appears Unai doesn’t trust Cash at RB. I think it will likely be:

Emi

Young Konsa Mings Digne

Ramsey Bouba Luiz Buendia

Watkins Bailey

We need to get back to winning ways tonight. Hoping to see Watkins on the scoresheet! 

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The qualities McGinn possesses are not ones to be taken for granted, hence, every manager he has played under at Villa has constantly picked him. 

A midfielder that's never in a rush to show himself as a passing option will always limit us though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, av1 said:

I would go with this (but I know Digne will start) 

Martinez 

Young      Konsa     Mings   Moreno

Luiz         Kamara

Sanson                   Ramsey

Buendia

Watkins 

See you had similar thoughts to me.

I'd go with Ings instead of Watkins though, and by doing so maybe have Watkins instead of Buendia. I think Emery more likely to go with your setup though. 

In any case, I'm sure he can't be starting Bailey again.

Edit: to clarify,  I don't think Bailey is finished, but he is horrifically low on confidence and completely out of form.  Giving him the Stevenage game to play himself back in to form was, I felt, a good idea at the time. It didn't work, and he has to try the alternative now. Can't keep picking him in place of others when his performance is so bad, it sends the wrong message.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Isn't Cash out injured?

Yes

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

A midfielder that's never in a rush to show himself as a passing option will always limit us though.

McGinn then proceeds to give the ball away, his pass percentages are awful. It's why he needs replaced....

Granted he has been a little better of late since Emery has been here but he's a limited footballer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I'd go with Ings instead of Watkins though, and by doing so maybe have Watkins instead of Buendia. I think Emery more likely to go with your setup though. 

I can't see him changing from two up top, especially as Leeds have struggled against it - I think it has to be two of Watkins, Ings and Bailey.

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to this, purely to see how Emery sets us up and manages the game tactically. It’s intriguing and exciting to think how we’ll play when it all clicks, we’ve seen snippets so far and I hope we have a good response to last weekend, tonight. As always though, we know not to get carried away with optimism, something will always pop up to bring us back down. 

Im expecting a cagey first half that opens up into an entertaining game second half. Hopefully we’re on the right side of victory, I’m saying 2-1 Villa. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think this one will be blood and thunder. 2-2 at half time and not finishing with 22 men.

Villa to power through in the second half and take three points.

I think we’re going to lose, and maybe badly. Too much complacency. I definitely think Bailey must start — batshit crazy if he doesn’t. We simply can’t afford the luxury of citing “poor form” as a reason to bench him. Benches don’t improve form.

Really up for this game tonight. There’s got to be a big reaction, if not then I worry about us.  Think it will be fast and furious and hopefully the fans respond and make it hard for Leeds.  Start Bailey, I think it’s the type of game he needs tonight .