Pre Match Thread

rjw63

56 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The Villa we all know will mess these next 2 up. But the Villa we know wouldnt have beat Utd at home and Spurs away, so maybe Emery can get us winning the games we should win too.

But saying that; aftet the Spurs win, we were looking at 3 winnable home games and then a trip to bottom of the table. We’ve already gone out the cup and salvaged a draw to Wolves so who knows?

After bemoaning McGinn for the best part of 2 years or more, I actually feel we’ve really missed him since Spurs. He looks much more involved and better for it since Emery came in. Looking forward to JJ starting though and possibly Moreno if he gets clearance.

Agreed. Hopefully we are motivated in the next two as if we win them it sets us up to challenge the top eight for sure.

McGinn has improved, he surely knows he's in the last-chance saloon. Emery will want more technically advanced players than McGinn, such as a Guendouzi type player. If the latter arrives I can't see McGinn starting much at all.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

Really hope there’s no hangover from our last game?  Need to get into the faces of Leeds and earn the right to play our own game.  Standing off them like we did against Wolves first half will be suicide.  I’m confident though that we’ll put in a full blooded performance and get the win we need.

Squad options are a little limited here.  I’ve put Ings in because he’s still our best finisher and Bailey can’t hit a barn door right now.  I’d rather see Bailey come off the bench for the next couple of games and see if he can regain some confidence playing against a tired defence?   If Moreno is ready and Emery believes it, I’d be more than happy for him to make his debut in place of Digne or Buendia.

Martinez

Young        Konsa             Mings         Digne

Kamara         Luiz

Ramsey                           Buendia

Ings         Watkins

Can see goals in this one.  A 3-2 win in what could be another mad evening under the lights against dirty Leeds.   UTV

• Like 3

On 10/01/2023 at 12:01, GlobalVillan said:

I'll be honest,  I'm finding it very hard to give a shit about this game. When our only hope of winning anything gets thrown away like it did on Sunday, the motivation to watch us try and finish 10th just isn't there.

Maybe it will change on match day (probably) but right now I find it hard to see the point.

I know, that Stevenage defeat caused me to relapse big time. I didn't put the pipe down till Wednesday night. 

• Confused 1

On 10/01/2023 at 07:01, GlobalVillan said:

I'll be honest,  I'm finding it very hard to give a shit about this game. When our only hope of winning anything gets thrown away like it did on Sunday, the motivation to watch us try and finish 10th just isn't there.

I'm feeling the exact opposite. I want a good performance to wash my mouth of the bitter taste from Stevenage.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

why?

Allow me to interject...

I remember reading some of the most disgusting online abuse towards Grealish from their Dirty fans when we were still in the Championship.

They seem to have fabricated some kind of rivalry. Why I have no idea?

Interesting fact is Villa have played more than double the amount of games as Leeds in the top flight league, double the points too.

What is even funnier is lowly Sheffield Utd, Blackburn, Derby, Sunderland and even WBA have all played more games in top flight football.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Allow me to interject...

I remember reading some of the most disgusting online abuse towards Grealish from their Dirty fans when we were still in the Championship.

They seem to have fabricated some kind of rivalry. Why I have no idea?

Interesting fact is Villa have played more than double the amount of Leeds in the top flight league, double the points too.

What is even funnier is lowly Sheffield Utd, Blackburn, Derby, Sunderland and even WBA have all played more games in top flight football.

ok.

The reason for my question is.....any fanbase is comprised of multiple types of personalities and people.....some nice, some not nice.....its hard to brand them all the same.

There are some undesirables, in our fan base....some only looking for confrontation.

I think its hard to say, I like that club and don't like that club, when individuals do not represent the whole fanbase.

I also think, if you are a decent bloke, who seeks out other decent blokes, life becomes, much more bearable.

I say, let the w***ers get on with it.....and avoid bringing them in to the conversation.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t really hate them. My best mates a Leeds fan. I just wanted to contribute to the thread.

Thats funny.

I try not to hate, full stop.....its a burden, I don't want to carry.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

----------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Young----------Konsa---------Mings--------Digne

--------------------Luiz---------Kamara-------------------

------------Ramsey------------------Buendia----------

-----------------Bailey----------Watkins-----------------

(If Moreno is ready, chuck him straight in).

Personally I'd have Ings infront of Bailey. Remember all the chances we missed at Elland Road once they went down to 10 men? Ings would've buried one of Ollie's one-on-ones.

That aside can't see it being anything else than that unless Moreno has his clearance so perhaps could well start but think he's more likely as on the hour sub.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Personally I'd have Ings infront of Bailey. Remember all the chances we missed at Elland Road once they went down to 10 men? Ings would've buried one of Ollie's one-on-ones.

That aside can't see it being anything else than that unless Moreno has his clearance so perhaps could well start but think he's more likely as on the hour sub.

Seems pretty clear by now Emery won't start Watkins and Ings together

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Agreed. Hopefully we are motivated in the next two as if we win them it sets us up to challenge the top eight for sure.

McGinn has improved, he surely knows he's in the last-chance saloon. Emery will want more technically advanced players than McGinn, such as a Guendouzi type player. If the latter arrives I can't see McGinn starting much at all.

Mcginn is going nowhere quick. Better than anyone that took the field vs Stevenage. One of few players in the squad with some bottle. Emery not going to let that go

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

ok.

The reason for my question is.....any fanbase is comprised of multiple types of personalities and people.....some nice, some not nice.....its hard to brand them all the same.

There are some undesirables, in our fan base....some only looking for confrontation.

I think its hard to say, I like that club and don't like that club, when individuals do not represent the whole fanbase.

I also think, if you are a decent bloke, who seeks out other decent blokes, life becomes, much more bearable.

I say, let the w***ers get on with it.....and avoid bringing them in to the conversation.

I don't hate anyone either...

Yet it seems like many of them hate Villa, still not sure why. I try to understand the rationale.

And yes I don't believe it is prudent to waste my energy on them, I post here because I'm a Villa fan. Certainly would not waste my time to sign up for another team's forum just to stir it up. It's weird, but many have no focus in life and like to cause trouble.

• Like 1