Pre Match Thread

rjw63

Over the last fifteen Premier League games only Southampton have been in worse form than Leeds, they had a good first three games but since then have been very poor.

So in theory it should be a game that we see as us having a very good chance of winning.

But only problem with games like this is it feels like the opposition are due a good result, as runs like the one they're on have to end at some point.

Hopefully yesterday's result and performance will get our players extra determinded to put things right in this game.

Well, I don't expect any of the back ups to play. Indeed, unless there's injuries I don't expect anyone on the subs bench to come on in this match. Rendered themselves completely unreliable. 

However at least Jacob Ramsey is back. **** it, Mcginn if fit goes in in a more advanced role

Martinez

Young Konsa Mings Digne

Luiz Kamara Ramsey

Mcginn

Ings Watkins

A side that means we don't have to play any of bailey, buendia or coutino

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SuperTed said:

No sorry I’m literally going to Ground Zero as it’s now a morbid tourist attraction before the pub! 

Thats where we all was yesterday.

I hope VP don't become a morbid tourist attraction.....more of that tripe, it will be.

On a serious note, have a nice time, leave the villa to us, to be depressed.

• Haha 1

Emi, Mings and Kamara will be all back so straight away the spine has a better mentality and quality to it.

Beyond that no idea what we'll put out bar Ramsey will start as he had a stormer v them in February. Sanson should start this imo btw.

I think we'll come out firing for this. We better otherwise half the squad need to be sold if they can't get motivated for Emery.

Not sure if a basketball game will suit us but at least it will be a better watch than the last two and we will create chances.

3-1 us.

We don't have a great record at VP against them recently, since 2016 (which is the first time we'd played them since 2004), its 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses. We've also managed to concede 3 against them in each of the last 3 home games.

I don't think they are that good a team (as @useless notes their form is very poor), but if we have another game where we slack off, they have the energy to take advantage.

Find your attitudes towards your players here funny

Were doing a bit worse than you but regardless of our thoughts on the manager we're all behind 99% of the players.

Exact reverse here, hate most the squad but like the manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

First time visiting Villa Park since pre Covid, when we lost 0-2 at home to WBA in the championship. That was just before we went on that 10 match win streak. Last Villa match I went to was the league cup final, just before Covid really hit so something is bound to happen after this one. The result yesterday has put a bit of a downer on things but still can’t wait for Friday!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Were doing a bit worse than you but regardless of our thoughts on the manager we're all behind 99% of the players.

A week ago that wasn’t quite the mood. 

Sure some of Buendia’s critics (for instance) weren’t blown away by his performance against Spurs, but generally had to concede he did well with the goal.

Imagine that, but with about 7/8 players - mostly those who are normally on the bench. Broadly speaking that was the mood.

Stevenage changes that. For now.

Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Young, Kamara should give us more resilience and control.

Ramsey back (if fit) will give us focus and speed in possession of the ball, Sanson in too.

I'd also play Ings and Watkins, dropping Bailey and Buendia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats where we all was yesterday.

I hope VP don't become a morbid tourist attraction.....more of that tripe, it will be.

On a serious note, have a nice time, leave the villa to us, to be depressed.

Cheers mate 😂 in a huff I said to the Missus I wasn’t bothered about watching it and we can do whatever she wants but I’ll probably change my mind Friday morning. Hopefully I don’t regret it! 

• Like 1

Would like to see Martinez, Young, Konsa, Mings, Digne, Luiz, Kamara, Ramsey,(if fit) McGinn (if fit), Ings and Watkins. Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey on the bench but I'd honestly prefer it if they weren't involved at the moment. My opinion may change nearer to kick off.....🙃

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Last season we totally **** it up against them domianting at 3-1 and threw it down the toilet.  Sound familiar?

depressingly familiar.

4 hours ago, Rino8 said:

maybe because, they do what some of ours don't, on a consistent basis.

Rest assured, if the real Aston Villa turn up.....You'll be in for a game.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, useless said:

Over the last fifteen Premier League games only Southampton have been in worse form than Leeds, they had a good first three games but since then have been very poor.

So in theory it should be a game that we see as us having a very good chance of winning.

But only problem with games like this is it feels like the opposition are due a good result, as runs like the one they're on have to end at some point.

Hopefully yesterday's result and performance will get our players extra determinded to put things right in this game.

Their more recent form isn't that bad....in last six they've only lost to Spurs and Man. City. Beat Liverpool and Bournemouth back to back and drawn with Newcastle and West Ham. 

Have no idea if this sort of random matchup will suit us but think I'd rather have an end to end game on Friday than have to hold on to a 1-0 which won't be a good idea given what happened yesterday.

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Young, Kamara should give us more resilience and control.

Ramsey back (if fit) will give us focus and speed in possession of the ball, Sanson in too.

I'd also play Ings and Watkins, dropping Bailey and Buendia.

Tony Cascarino made a good point today, Leeds really struggled v two forwards at Cardiff. It was Lllorente and Struijk at CB. Don't think Llorente is a regular starter these days but Struijk will probably play v us so I don't think it's the worst call to go with the two CFs for this and be a bit more direct.