Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes the goal we conceded was so bad as it was his job to clear after the head away and his body position was all wrong with no clue Lewis-Potter was behind him.

Still against 10 men we needed him to play as a left winger and gamble at the back post and he did that.

He's still feeling his way up, Ramsey being incredibly rusty infront of him dosen't help. Think Digne comes back in v Sheffield and then Moreno starts at Old Trafford.

I think the other way round is better, against Sheffield we’ll be expected to attack and there is a big difference offensively.

Against Utd it will be different especially without Kamara.

• Like 2

With most teams, besides the top 6 employing very low block against us, & we don't have proper creative no 10 to unlock tight defence, maybe we can try Moreno as a temporary 10, maybe till Tielemann returns? 

Remember in previous instance he did drift into the middle and he does have good close ball control & skill , he could offer a temporary solution. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, saturdaygig said:

Last season his trademark move was the spurt down to the byline and bang in a cross. Since he's come back he's stopped doing it, runs infield every time. Yesterday his old move was what we really needed. So what's going on there?

He hardly 'come back' tbf. He'll be his normal self in no time.

2 hours ago, saturdaygig said:

Last season his trademark move was the spurt down to the byline and bang in a cross. Since he's come back he's stopped doing it, runs infield every time. Yesterday his old move was what we really needed. So what's going on there?

Convinced everyone has been told to not carry it into the opposing corners. There was so so so much space there last night, and there often is. It's just not something we tend to focus on.

When it's 0-0 after 70 mins and we haven't had a chance since the 20th min, we should be trying some other angles IMO.

Seeing it back...it was actually a pretty bad miss from Moreno annoyingly. I think we probably win if he scores that.

Ah well. A win at Old Trafford will have to do.

5 hours ago, Digavilla said:

With most teams, besides the top 6 employing very low block against us, & we don't have proper creative no 10 to unlock tight defence, maybe we can try Moreno as a temporary 10, maybe till Tielemann returns? 

Remember in previous instance he did drift into the middle and he does have good close ball control & skill , he could offer a temporary solution. Just a thought.

No you have to play him ahead of Digne. No sentimentality non sense.

Moreno will create chances. He is on a different level attacking wise.

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

No you have to play him ahead of Digne. No sentimentality non sense.

Moreno will create chances. He is on a different level attacking wise.

Think you misunderstood, of course we have to play him instead of Digne , just thinking maybe we can try him in a more central no 10 role occasionally instead of LB against very low block team as his attacking skill / close ball control is best in squad now, till Tielemann is fit to take over. 

I watched lots of Citeh game as my son is fan and the master against low block team Pep often use Cancelo who's a LB, drift into the middle as a no 10 to great effect, and was their most effective attacking player in those 2 seasons, overshadowing even Grealish before he fallout with Pep and left. 

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Convinced everyone has been told to not carry it into the opposing corners.

Well that's the conclusion I came too, because surely he's following Unai's game plan. But then Leon and Moussa do it on the other side all the time. I guess it's more I'm struggling to understand that part of the game plan, because we really struggle to score past a low block.

Edited by saturdaygig
additional thoughts

wonder how 2023 has been for the 'low block' word use bingo, feel like i'd never heard the word before this year, now it's on every thread and every 5th post.

but yes not sure why he and Cash aren't attacking more on the overlap 

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2023 at 16:58, VillanousOne said:

wonder how 2023 has been for the 'low block' word use bingo, feel like i'd never heard the word before this year, now it's on every thread and every 5th post.

but yes not sure why he and Cash aren't attacking more on the overlap 

Yeah last few seasons football terminology has become a word salad. Isn't a low block just parking the bus?!

• Like 3

Looked off the pace today defensively - lost his marker for the first goal and was done for pace for the second which was a standard ball over the top. Still gives us an attacking outlet, but those mistakes might have proved costly.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Looked off the pace today defensively - lost his marker for the first goal and was done for pace for the second which was a standard ball over the top. Still gives us an attacking outlet, but those mistakes might have proved costly.

Didn't look 100% at all, but he was probably rushed back into the starting lineup far more quickly than we'd like, so deserves a bit of slack 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Such a sexy boy

• Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Didn't look 100% at all, but he was probably rushed back into the starting lineup far more quickly than we'd like, so deserves a bit of slack 

We collectively failed to defend for the first goal. But I always rate Alex, brings a lot to the team still. But I'm sure he will pick himself up from today's performance. Not an easy game, but we win as a team as much as we lose.

• Like 1

Â