Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

22 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Really untrue, in fact the complete opposite, he’s better against high lines than low block teams because of his pace. Digne has a much better first touch than Moreno and better technique so is more suited against teams sitting deep.

Nah, not at all. We desperately lack players who will run at a defence and make things happen (I.e: when playing teams who sit deep).

Moreno does this, Digne does not. Digne is far more defensive than Moreno - albeit a better crosser of the ball. When teams drop, we’re trying to pass our way through it and are not penetrative (hi Ken) enough. Moreno and Ramsey are the only players who seemingly dribble with the ball. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

I really have not seen Digne beat a man , as soon as an opposition comes near he will just cross the ball. Moreno will take on player , sometimes it comes off sometimes doesn’t , but these sucks in opposition and create space for others Ramsey etc. 

I agree Moreno is a better dribbler and has more pace. But Digne better defensively, better crosser, better passer, better first touch. I think Digne better to start games and Moreno to come on against tired legs. I hope Digne is at the very least back in the squad against Man Utd.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, not at all. We desperately lack players who will run at a defence and make things happen (I.e: when playing teams who sit deep).

Moreno does this, Digne does not. Digne is far more defensive than Moreno - albeit a better crosser of the ball. When teams drop, we’re trying to pass our way through it and are not penetrative (hi Ken) enough. Moreno and Ramsey are the only players who seemingly dribble with the ball. 

But that doesn't really add up because we were doing better with Digne in the team. It's ok to admit that Digne is far better this season than Moreno and that Moreno was much better last season. And the bolded bit isn't really true, Bailey takes players on, Diaby is capable of doing that too but for whatever reason isn't. 

Also Moreno and Ramsey might well take players on but if they lose it, teams break on us, and create a chance and score then they are more harmful to us than of benefit.

Injuries are only really an excuse at this stage, Moreno came back early December and wasn't thrown in as Digne was still playing up until the end of December until he got injured against Man Utd on Boxing Day. He should be up to speed by now, come on.

Don't understand why he is getting slated, he was out for quite a long time due to injury, and really does do some good things, which seem to get swept under the carpet whenever we lose.

He's a threat.

Yes , we do miss Digne, but I feel they are perfect foil, and both probably bring the best out of each other through competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

But that doesn't really add up because we were doing better with Digne in the team. It's ok to admit that Digne is far better this season than Moreno and that Moreno was much better last season. And the bolded bit isn't really true, Bailey takes players on, Diaby is capable of doing that too but for whatever reason isn't. 

Also Moreno and Ramsey might well take players on but if they lose it, teams break on us, and create a chance and score then they are more harmful to us than of benefit.

Injuries are only really an excuse at this stage, Moreno came back early December and wasn't thrown in as Digne was still playing up until the end of December until he got injured against Man Utd on Boxing Day. He should be up to speed by now, come on.

Digne has been fine this season - I have no issue with him.  I also have no issue with Moreno.  They're different left backs.  When Digne played, we pushed Cash further up the pitch on the right hand side and he was generally more effective as an attacking outlet.  With Moreno, the left-hand side does the predominant attacking and the right-hand side sits deeper.

I don't think we've been "figured out" as such, but there seems to be two approaches to playing against us that we struggle against.  Either teams packing the middle of the park and pressing aggressively or teams sitting deep.  There is absolutely nothing about Digne - despite him having a good season - that suggests he'd be any more effective in breaking down a team sitting deep.  It makes no sense.  If anything, his crossing/through balls from deeper on the pitch would suit against those teams who press us and leave space in behind.

Disagree on Bailey taking players on as well. It's not in the same manner.  He doesn't tend to pick up the ball from deep and take people on - if anything, he shimmies to get the ball on to his left foot or tries to confuse players running at them; but he rarely runs at someone and gets past them using pace.  It's more trickery.

Defensive aspects of his game are weaker and that was greatly exposed by the sheer pace of Chelsea. It doesn’t mean he’s a failure, just that his limitations were massively exposed. Not every game will be like that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

It just shows how well Digne was playing. A great all-round fullback who is good In tight spaces and good crosser. Moreno is good at running with the ball but not much else since coming back 

Most on here wanted well shot of Digne in August.

That's maybe a good lesson not to be so hasty demanding experienced players leave just because of their wages. 

He'll go this summer so interested who we target at LB, see how the young lad does at Plymouth but not sure he'll be trusted too much next season so feels like we need to source an LB in their mid 20s.

Said it before I'd go for Tierney but again he picks up 2-3 injuries a season.

• Thanks 3

He's looking a little gassed imo. Probably shouldn't be playing as much as he has. Look how long it's taking Ramsey to get back into the swing of things. 

Moreno is obviously a great player as shown last season, but the lack of pre-season and the amount of time injured appears as if it's catching up with him a little bit. 

In regards to yesterday, I thought McGinn did a poor job of helping him out and he got exposed a bit. 

Edited by PieFacE

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Another player being written off or scapegoated now? He was great up until injury.

He may not be fully fit?

He may not be as effective as the whole team isn't currently for numerous reasons.

Ramsey also isn't back to what he was last season, also due to injury.

Digne was playing well before injury. 

You can't suddenly say he's over rated or not. Insane over reaction. 

He said the word!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Defensive aspects of his game are weaker and that was greatly exposed by the sheer pace of Chelsea. It doesn’t mean he’s a failure, just that his limitations were massively exposed. Not every game will be like that. 

He also was left very exposed, especially the 2nd goal? The Jackson one. He practically had two on one. 

35 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

He also was left very exposed, especially the 2nd goal? The Jackson one. He practically had two on one. 

He was - Dougie embarrassed himself trying to block Madueke. It was embarrassing and massively left Alex exposed 

14 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Another player being written off or scapegoated now? He was great up until injury.

He may not be fully fit?

He may not be as effective as the whole team isn't currently for numerous reasons.

Ramsey also isn't back to what he was last season, also due to injury.

Digne was playing well before injury. 

You can't suddenly say he's over rated or not. Insane over reaction. 

Yep, he suffered a nasty hamstring injury and is still working his way back to full recovery, fitness and form. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Was a cracking aggressive header as well, really shame it didn't count because of such petty little details.

Inaccurate details too, they ran the line off Bailey

Really unlucky not to see that goal count. But great to see him returning to form, he’s looking like he’s getting his sharpness back along with Ramsey. Having those two and Digne back for the run in puts us in a much stronger position. 

Â