Pre-match thread

GlobalVillan

8 minutes ago, jim said:

This is on Martinez not Emery. Bloke takes the piss out of this club. Same last season with going off to Argentina.

”Loves the club” my arse.

How dare he....take a few days to go back to his country to partake in celebrations after winning the greatest prize in football?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

honestly, do you think Emi 1 wouldnt be playing if he was ready/fit?

I can only assume he isnt actually fit/mentally ready or something, why do we automatically blame Emery for not picking him?, there must be a good reason!?!?

I don’t think people are. Quite the opposite in fact. As another poster suggested, he’s gonna get some stick for not playing today if we lose, especially as they have two starters from the same match playing. It’s inexcusable he isn’t in goal today. Absolutely inexcusable. 

The lads who made that banner for the Holte really want to have a rethink. It’s one thing having a goalkeeper who won the World Cup, but it’s another having one who is too much of a prick to get back in time in a fit state to start and one who has probably cost us 2-6 points in the games he’s missed. 

Fuming about this. Feels like we’re completely handicapped going into this match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Story with Cash ? If he wasn’t fit he wouldn’t be taking up a place on the bench. Not a good luck if a 37 year old is keeping him out. 

It doesn't surprise me, if I'm honest.......but I don't know the real reason.

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

honestly, do you think Emi 1 wouldnt be playing if he was ready/fit?

I can only assume he isnt actually fit/mentally ready or something, why do we automatically blame Emery for not picking him?, there must be a good reason!?!?

Most people seem to be blaming Emi as I read it…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think people are. Quite the opposite in fact. As another poster suggested, he’s gonna get some stick for not playing today if we lose, especially as they have two starters from the same match playing. It’s inexcusable he isn’t in goal today. Absolutely inexcusable. 

The lads who made that banner for the Holte really want to have a rethink. It’s one thing having a goalkeeper who won the World Cup, but it’s another having one who is too much of a prick to get back in time in a fit state to start and one who has probably cost us 2-6 points in the games he’s missed. 

Fuming about this. Feels like we’re completely handicapped going into this match. 

Seems the plan was never for him to start today so that's on Emery rather than Emi. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

How dare he....take a few days to go back to his country to partake in celebrations after winning the greatest prize in football?

He did. It's fine. You can swallow missing one game, but two games missed is poor i think, it is bordering unprofessional during a season to miss two games not through suspension, or injury or fatigue, but for partying. One okay it's a world cup. Not two. Not when the club is paying you salary.

Just now, Herman22 said:

Such a defensive line up from Spurs. Five at the back and two defensive midfielders. We need to get on the front foot.

they will try to hit us on the break with Son's pace just like they did last time.

I reckon Conte thinks that if they can be defensively strong, Son's pace and Kane's pro diving in the box will win them the game.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It was more than just the Goalkeeper against Liverpool and United in the cup.

I accept it weakens us....but there is more to it than just him.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nothing wrong with taking a few days off to celebrate. Coming back not in a fit state to play for his club is a different story.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but even a 50% emi is better than olsen. He cant comannd his box , he panics and makes our defence panic because of this.

Emi at least reassures and has composure.  This is going to be a very long afternoon

I don't disagree either, so why do you think Emery - a man who has proven to know what he's doing when it comes to this management lark - has picked Olson?

Feels like yesterday when I said we desperately need a new backup keeper? I’m more surprised Emi is back in the country already, wasn’t expecting him ro return before Easter. For him to get mentally ready could take a really long time though.

Today I guess we’ll press high and leave plenty of space behind for Spurs to counter attack, like when we got smashed 4-0 last time.

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

I still think we’re going to win. 

3 - 2 to Villa.

Panic stations in defence but a shoot out we win by finally being clinical.

Son has an injury time equaliser ruled out for offside.

10 minutes ago, choffer said:

I just caught three minutes of 5Live where they were discussing how licking Olsen was a clear sign that Unai had made his decision as to who the number 1 at villa was going forward. They were unanimous that it was because of Emi’s “antics” at the World Cup. Just as they were drawing the conversation to a close, they got an update with a quote from Emery saying it was always the plan not to throw Emi straight back in. :bang:

A bit like the day we appointed Emery - 10 minutes of "I don't think they'll attract a top calibre coach" interrupted by the host announcing who we'd appointed 😂😂

This eleven created enough chances to have got something out of Liverpool - if we're a bit more clinical and a little more measured there's no reason we shouldn't be well in this game.

We'll need to defend set pieces well to win.