Pre-match thread

GlobalVillan

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

3 - 2 to Villa.

Panic stations in defence but a shoot out we win by finally being clinical.

Son has an injury time equaliser ruled out for offside.

Yep think I went 3-2 earlier in the thread mate. We created a lot against Liverpool and I think we’ll do so again today. 

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I don't disagree either, so why do you think Emery - a man who has proven to know what he's doing when it comes to this management lark - has picked Olson?

I havw no idea it seems like a absolute mystery to me. Its even more bizarre that romaro is playing and he has been back as long as emi has.

I hate watching this Spurs team, one of the more boring sides in the league. Our high line will possibly be playing into their hands somewhat as the game plan is very counter-attack orientated.

Was feeling quite confident, thought a 1-1 draw most likely as Kane is almost guaranteed to score against us. Olsen starting has reduced any confidence to rubble unfortunately, the effect he has on the entire defence is undeniable.

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How dare he....take a few days to go back to his country to partake in celebrations after winning the greatest prize in football?

I’m assuming Romero took part in the same celebrations yet he is starting for Spurs today.

• Like 2

Read this from the BBC feed... 

Unai Emery says everyone at Aston Villa is “proud” of their World Cup-winning goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez and wants him to quickly adapt back to life in the Midlands.

"For us we are proud of him and every Aston Villa supporter must be proud of him," said Emery. “We have in our team and our squad a winner of a World Cup. Congratulations to him.

"He pushes his team-mates on the training ground every day. When he comes back we have to try to introduce him again into our everyday and to be positive to use his energy to help us.”

Martinez drew criticism for his celebrations when awarded the World Cup Golden Glove and Emery wants him to be ready for the challenges at his club side.

"Hopefully he is coming 100% focused on Aston Villa. He has to adapt again in a new way with us," he said.

So it's Emery and the coaching teams decision not to start him. 

Edited by The Other Mat

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I havw no idea it seems like a absolute mystery to me. Its even more bizarre that romaro is playing and he has been back as long as emi has.

Wonder were the Brighton and United forums having a complete meltdown because MacAllister and Lisandro Martinez didn’t play?

How can Martinez be  50 %?

He is a goalkeeper ffs. He is hardly going to get fatigued.

Mentally fatigued? Maybe, but considering his character I doubt it. Physically? No. 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Wonder were the Brighton and United forums having a complete meltdown because MacAllister and Lisandro Martinez didn’t play?

Were their direct replacements Olsen-like?

For the record I would be starting Emi every time. But it’s also totally reasonable for Emery to start the goalkeeper he’s worked with for the last six weeks rather than the guy who just got back - presumably the same thing as is happening with Cash/Young. I think it’s the wrong approach (and I am sure we will see various ways people are reintegrated at different clubs) but the only ones to blame for that are FIFA for a mid-season WC. Smith on the other hand used to start Emi even if he landed back from Argentina that morning - that would be my preference, but I accept Emery has a lot more experience than Smith. So we will see what happens. But no-one needs to be ‘blamed’ and a lot of people on here shouldn’t wet the bed.

Just now, Pinebro said:

How can Martinez be  50 %?

He is a goalkeeper ffs. He is hardly going to get fatigued.

Mentally fatigued? Maybe, but considering his character I doubt it. Physically? No. 

"It was always the decision to miss both games" paraphrasing.

Not what I would have done with a GK personally especially with Olsen as No.2 but I'm not an elite coach.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Can’t imagine the United forum was great when Shaw was started as CB again, luckily it worked out.