Match Thread: Villa vs Villarreal

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Every time Archer plays, he doesn't do much wrong. Hard for managers to justify a start above Watkins/Bailey but if one of them gets injured, I wouldn't loan him out as I think he's worth a shout.

Don’t think it’s hard to justify given Watkins form - and total lack of confidence. Maybe he already knows it’s time up in Jan? 

Good first half. Should’ve bagged a couple there. Nice outing, but still quite away from being fluid in this new system, it feels a little slow at offering shooting chances, dare I say it, almost like Gerrard’s system didn’t offer up much shooting chances. Hopefully that changes with practice.

• Sad 1

I'm excited for the future...  Our first team looks much more comfortable and composed both in the press and in possession.  Emery & co are clearly drilling into them exactly how they should be playing.  If Ings was playing instead of Watkins for the first half we would have won the game by several goals.  Definitely need to spend big on a new striker this January in order to continue to try to challenge for Europe.  

• Like 2

Bit of a mess up at the back cost us the goal, Olsen played well, pulled off some good saves , looks like hes gained some confidence.

Our overall play was good, definitely improving and you can see Emery's influence taking affect with the possession at the back. Few stray passes and if the opposition can transition play quickly then we look panicky, especially the fringe players.

Good work out for us.

• Like 1

A work in progress in minus 4 weather.  Looked good in parts and not so good in parts  

Luiz and Kamara are already on the same wavelength though. 

I am sorry but McGinn needs a replacement. And Watkins needs a replacement more than any of the others. 

Playing this way we need technical players more than tenacious and run all game players. 

Mikel Mireno for McGinn in this system would be a game changer.

15 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Every time Archer plays, he doesn't do much wrong. Hard for managers to justify a start above Watkins/Bailey but if one of them gets injured, I wouldn't loan him out as I think he's worth a shout.

I think the manager needs to give him more minutes on the pitch. Persisting with Watkins is clearly not working.

Play Archer or buy a CF and send Archer on loan.

Just now, Awol said:

Don’t think it’s hard to justify given Watkins form - and total lack of confidence. Maybe he already knows it’s time up in Jan? 

I think lack of confidence this season may be the biggest part of the problem. In our first season back in the Prem he had plenty of confidence and was actually pretty good (with 13 league goals, I think). What a pity he's not as good anymore as he was that season. : <

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think the manager needs to give him more minutes on the pitch. Persisting with Watkins is clearly not working.

Play Archer or buy a CF and send Archer on loan.

Watkins has 4 competitive games since Gerrad left, 2 goals and an assist, I think it's a bit early to be saying "persisting with" and "clearly not working". 1 goal and 1 assist in two Emery games (against manure)

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

I think lack of confidence this season may be the biggest part of the problem. In our first season back in the Prem he had plenty of confidence and was actually pretty good (with 13 league goals, I think). What a pity he's not as good anymore as he was that season. : <

Without the fans in the stadium. He's most definitely regressed. At first I also thought it was confidence but it's been nearly 2 years now since he looked dangerous. Now he looks like he can't shoot, never mind hit a barn door. He needs replacing I think and probably deserves to be now. 

Meh, from what I saw we seemed to be on top but not creating too much, goal was a total brainfart from bednarek I think.

Bailey looked lively but seemed to be trying a bit too hard, Watkins didn’t make the most of a couple of decent opportunities, think we hit the bar first half too 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Without the fans in the stadium. He's most definitely regressed. At first I also thought it was confidence but it's been nearly 2 years now since he looked dangerous. Now he looks like he can't shoot, never mind hit a barn door. He needs replacing I think and probably deserves to be now. 

Without the fans in the stadium, that's a good point, I hadn't even thought about that. There was less preasure on him in the empty Villa Park and empty away stadiums.