Match Thread: Villa vs Villarreal

fightoffyour

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That was probably the worst experience at a football match I’ve ever had. 

Awful game and utterly frozen to my bones. Left after they scored and never looked back 😂

Well at your age now the neck is probably sore and you need to wear an extra layer ... and socks 👀

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well at your age now the neck is probably sore and you need to wear an extra layer ... and socks 👀

I had so many layers on. I even had underarmour on under my clothes. Tops and bottoms. 

I was still frozen.

I thought the Bradford semi final was cold but this was something else 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m such an avid Villa fan that I completely forgot this game was happening! Oh well, doesn’t sound like I missed anything. I wouldn’t worry about the performance too much in a friendly, it’s Boxing Day that really matters. 

I totally forgot as well!’ This one was all about fitness before 26th so wouldn’t pay too much attention to the result either. Plus the club raising a bit of money at the same time. Cant imagine too many turned out for the game in this weather.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

at least we know we cant trust having Chambers starting, thanks Stevie

At the start of the season fans were saying he is our second best centre half after Carlos. 🤣 

He’s a decent squad player. That’s about it.  It’s also what he was signed for. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Still feel like I'm thawing out. And I have a headache. It's usually any excuse to be inside Villa Park but last night was stretching it.

Good to see Pep though. Top guy and a bit of fun with the fans.

Be nice to give the proceeds to the Babbs Mill families. That minutes silence really got me. 

• Like 3

It was very, very cold.

Douglas Luis has become as exceptional footballer - there were a lot of very good footballers on that pitch and he was comfortably the best of them. Kamara compliments him beautifully and that pairing in front of the back four is as good as just about anything in the league and if we can keep them both fit and fresh, we have a chance in any game.

I liked our pattern, I thought we deserved better than the result - Watkins and Ings continue to be two halves of a perfect striker -with Ramsey, Coutinho and Carlos to come back, there's some good depth and we look set with a solid base for whatever comes next.

The big story though in this game might have been missed - when Buendia went down, the team Doctor came onto the field and went immediately to Olsen. Olsen was pointing to something on his thigh and looked a little uncomfortable. I may just have missed seeing him, but I don't think Marschall warmed up hard at half time - instead emerging from the dressing room and getting changed on the side of the pitch.

I don't think that substitution was planned.

Now hopefully we've taken Olsen off as a precaution and he'll be fine, but it does raise the slightly scary prospect that if Emi doesn't make it back from the World Cup in time, we could have a (very talented) nineteen year old goalkeeper making his first team debut at home in a night game in front of 42,000 people against Liverpool - which is a little bit daunting.

Nice to see Pepe Reina back and he seemed to enjoy himself, good to see football back at Villa Park and nice to get home to a warm bed afterward.

It'll do - the Daily Mail reaction is just weird.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I had so many layers on. I even had underarmour on under my clothes. Tops and bottoms. 

I was still frozen.

Liverpool v Villa at Anfield one weekday night, minus 19. It was that cold, breathing hurt. I have no idea how anyone managed to play football

• Shocked 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was still frozen.

Coldest I have ever felt was when we played Liverpool at Boxing Day once. Was about -2c and snowing. Torres scored in the last minute. Had lost sensation of both feet. Yesterday looked even colder, glad I gave it a miss!

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Liverpool v Villa at Anfield one weekday night, minus 19. It was that cold, breathing hurt. I have no idea how anyone managed to play football

It got to the stage last night where I found myself incredibly envious of the players because they actually got to run round to warm themselves up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Coldest I have ever felt was when we played Liverpool at Boxing Day once. Was about -2c and snowing. Torres scored in the last minute. Had lost sensation of both feet. Yesterday looked even colder, glad I gave it a miss!

Boxing day at Highfield road, lightly snowing and the wind blowing in from all four open corners of that shit ground, can't remember the temperature but it was very cold.

Worst game God ever had (he was clearly running around the pitch pissed)

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was still frozen.

and there is nowhere to get warmed up either. Time the club considered the fans more. 

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Douglas Luis has become as exceptional footballer - there were a lot of very good footballers on that pitch and he was comfortably the best of them. Kamara compliments him beautifully and that pairing in front of the back four is as good as just about anything in the league and if we can keep them both fit and fresh, we have a chance in any game.

I concur. Dougie has come of age this season, playing with Kamara really suits him and is the basis of a team: sort out those around them and we are going to kick on.

On 16/12/2022 at 22:22, The Fun Factory said:

Was so pissed at that game I could literally see 2 of every player. Went for a piss and forgot where my seat was, walked down a dead end row twice to the same old dear who just laughed at me.

😂😂

• 2 weeks later...