World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You have my condolences on your horrible 3-0 win. Jesus. You're like Man United fans.

I have wondered before if supporting England can be equated with what it’s like supporting the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool.  But then I thought nah, because fans of those clubs see their teams win stuff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Man wales were so bad at this world cup. The group wasnt really that difficult but thry badly let their fans down

Bales finished clearly and shouldn't be plsying for them anymore

Bring on Senegal 🇸🇳 

I think getting to a tournament for the first time for over 60 years allows them a little bit of slack. Especially when all of their key players are over the hill.

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Off topic but need this sorting once and for all ( for me ) Is Holland a derogatory and offensive term ? Is the Netherlands the correct way to refer to the country ? 

It isn’t derogatory but it is incorrect, Netherlands is the correct name for the entire country. 

Holland only is a region but for whatever reason over time was also used to refer to the country as a whole, the name change (to the official country name) was a step away from this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have wondered before if supporting England can be equated with what it’s like supporting the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool.  But then I thought nah, because fans of those clubs see their teams win stuff.

Spurs surely is best example in last decade.

Win loads of games but always a feeling it should be in better style and ultimately found wanting when it comes to the crunch.

I hope the U.S get a win against the Netherlands. 

As for England it was another professional game, Wales tried to make it as difficult as they could. But let's face it England probably should have been a goal up atleastby half-time.

Before the match when the teams were announced many were upset about Henderson yet he was Captain material tonight and played very well. Maguire too for all his criticism he often is good for England. Rashford was the best I've seen him play for England and now joint top goalscorer.

Not really sure what to make of Senegal.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, penguin said:

It isn’t derogatory but it is incorrect, Netherlands is the correct name for the entire country. 

Holland only is a region but for whatever reason over time was also used to refer to the country as a whole, the name change (to the official country name) was a step away from this.

The previous quoted comment sounds a bit (and I don’t use this word lightly) woke. 

The Dutch that I work with neither mind or care. I actually though it was the other way round as well, the nederlands meaning something along the lines of low lands on Germania so actually it’s only a part of the county and Netherlands or Holland being correct. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Could Southgate manage a top Premiership team, or would he be offered to do so. No! There's your answer how good he really is.

We've had good club managers before who have done no where nearjy as well as southgate has in major tournaments though.  The journey isn't over yet so let's judge him when it is. So far so good this tournament. 

• Like 1

As others mentioned, fatigue can play a part. US have had to do a lot of hard running against England and now Iran and play on one day less rest.

Their biggest problem is they can’t particularly score nor are they good on set pieces. That being said, the Munsah, Mckennie, Adams midfield has been very impressive and good cover for Ream/Zimmerman.

I don’t think they’ll be blown away as Netherlands play narrow and centrally attacking with their 5212 (roughly) formation. The gaps are behind the attacking fullbacks for the US so I don’t think they’ll be blown out of the water. 

Just a matter of individual moments. Gakpo, Depay, and De Jong. Pulisic, Mckennie, Dest have been the main thrust for the US. Keep it tight, don’t give away the game and give yourself a chance. Biggest weakness for the US manager are the weak bench and inexperience with his substitutions. Think it’ll come down to a late second half winner for the Netherlands but you never know. 

• Like 1

Crazy too how European born and reared players with African or American lineage represent those countries these days. That certainly wasn’t as frequent in the past. Im thinking if your Dest with the Netherlands or Inaki Williams and Lamptey with Ghana and the modern player has agents / management that sorts flight itinerary and everything involved really - it’s not anywhere near an inconvenience as it would be. Even Nigeria. Their 94 and 98 teams had pure born and bred Nigerians. Now they have that too obviously but with guys like Aribo and Iwobi. English with Nigerian family. Again, mixture of these associations been able to afford it and the modern player having management that makes this workable. 

32 minutes ago, Nicho said:

The Dutch that I work with neither mind or care.

As I understand it, the Dutch are world-class experts at absorbing insults with effortless aplomb. Dunno if it's true.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think getting to a tournament for the first time for over 60 years allows them a little bit of slack. Especially when all of their key players are over the hill.

Maybe but i wouldnt have enjoyed as a wales fan. Battered by england and iran and really had only 40 mins good game and that was 2nd half against usa

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Off topic but need this sorting once and for all ( for me ) Is Holland a derogatory and offensive term ? Is the Netherlands the correct way to refer to the country ? 

I’m pretty sure The Netherlands is the proper name for the country, whereas Holland is the largest part and most populated… so I suppose is it a bit like when Americans say they’re going to “London” when they fly to the UK?