World Cup: Matches

Genie

8 hours ago, Nicho said:

The previous quoted comment sounds a bit (and I don’t use this word lightly) woke. 

The Dutch that I work with neither mind or care. I actually though it was the other way round as well, the nederlands meaning something along the lines of low lands on Germania so actually it’s only a part of the county and Netherlands or Holland being correct. 

It's not woke, it's just facts.

Maybe those Dutch people are from Holland so they don't care.

The closest equivalent is probably (not that I actually know anyone from Holland or the other Nether lands) referring to England when you mean the whole of Great Britain or the UK. English people wouldn't care or perhaps even notice, but the Scots, and Welsh, and the Northern Irish would.

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Off topic but need this sorting once and for all ( for me ) Is Holland a derogatory and offensive term ? Is the Netherlands the correct way to refer to the country ? 

I might be wrong here and someone might already have answered but Holland is a province within the Netherlands, its one area of about 8 and even then in terms of juristiction I think Holland is split in to North and South and its the main kind of region really, its where rotterdam and Amsterdam are

The only other 2 I know are limburg and Zeeland which is a pub quiz answer you can probably guess at (and it's not Danish...)

41 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The closest equivalent is probably (not that I actually know anyone from Holland or the other Nether lands) referring to England when you mean the whole of Great Britain or the UK. English people wouldn't care or perhaps even notice, but the Scots, and Welsh, and the Northern Irish would.

This is true, I teach English as a foreign language and it happens all the time.

I try to correct them but they don't get it, often they think those countries are part of England.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I think it was Tom Jones but I could be wrong, on a US talk show he was introduced as being from Wales… in England.

15 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Chance to get in the next round and it's like a morgue in the stadium in the Denmark v Aus game.

Boring 😴 

The Aussie's  don't care enough and the Danes are too reserved.

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The Aussie's  don't care enough and the Danes are too reserved.

That's what you get when their players are only allowed to drink 4 beers during the games.

• Haha 2