World Cup: Matches

Genie

54 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There weeping cause there going back to that shit country so soon. 

*There

There going back to there shit country.

It's important to be clear which country there going back to 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think USA overrate a lot of the players, they have a decent team but are starting players like Josh Sargent and Tim Ream who are way out of the depth in the Premier League. Dest has been poor in Milan and Pulisic has been anonymous really at Chelsea since his debut season. Weah also seems to be not doing much at Lille

Ream's been terrible in previous outings but he's been decent for Fulham this year in fairness. Risk though he'll do another stupid challenge like v Bale against some quick attackers.

US midfield is top imo. Musah fantastic prospect who'll be in premier league sooner or later. I said at the time I'd have had no issue with us signing Tyler Adams in the summer and he's relishing being captain and McKennie's hit some nice passes although they need to keep him on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Get a decent coach in and they'll be a real force in 2026.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

To the England fans falling apart at half time ... um, I did sort of tell you so.
giphy.gif

England were really shit in the first half. It’s annoying because they can be very good, if they try, but far too often they just don’t get going and it’s infuriating.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Germany 1990 were class. You don’t see enough of those thunderbastard goals these days that Matthaus and Brehme scored during that World Cup. Real “ get the **** out of my way “ kinda goals. 

The Matthaus goal I think you mean was 65 mph. From far out, too. The Brehme pen was a lot faster. Both lower-right of goals, I think.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I really enjoy watching US play. I can certainly see them giving the Dutch a very tough battle given Ecuador comfortably held them to a draw and US have similar style and better forward players.

Problem is once they take off their european players the quality really does drop a level with the MLS lot being put on, that Wright guy upfront was hopeless so that's the trouble know US are in knock outs, other teams can win games with their subs, the US can lose with the ones they tend to bring on.

To be fair, their best sub won't get used because Berhalter seems to not want to play Reyna. They have a few more options, but Gregg goes to his MLS guys too often. A lot of people in the states believe that the US only becomes a power in football if they win with MLS players. It's insane thinking. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You have my condolences on your horrible 3-0 win. Jesus. You're like Man United fans.

You should separate a result from a performance. 

The first half was dreadful to watch, hence people calling it out. 

Second half was better, and they scored some goal and won. 

It’s possible to have more than 1 blanket emotion from a game of football 😉 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I really enjoy watching US play. I can certainly see them giving the Dutch a very tough battle given Ecuador comfortably held them to a draw and US have similar style and better forward players.

I'm not so sure I can say "better forward players." The final ball often isn't there. They scored two goals in three matches. If Pulisic can't continue, they're without the man who assisted one of the two and scored the other.

That said, you can go places in this tournament without scoring much, and the only goal they've conceded was on a penalty. They don't make it easy to play on the wings, which is where so much of the modern game is fought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

They just ruled a beautiful goal by Weah offside, he was not offside,, and there wasn't even a review. 

Finally saw the replay. It was one of those cases where he was leaning forward as the ball was released and was offside by his forward knee and maybe the inner edge of his armpit. It was that close.

I wish they would change the rule such that only foot position matters for offside. It would make it easier for the linesmen to judge in real time (you only need to focus on one part of the body) and quicker for VAR to review (you'd be drawing lines and reviewing in two dimensions instead of three). And if it gives a tiny edge to the attacker, so be it.

Edited by TomC
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't think any USA fans can seriously think that Iran was ever more than one irate ayatollah's whisker away from spoiling our chances.  We were very lucky. Huge win, but have to be real.  

I think Holland would of annihilated Iran. Iran would of been happy to just be there and would be in holiday mode in their heads. USA have always had a healthy arrogance ( some say naivety ) in world sport. They won’t be told they can’t win this. Apart from Zimmerman and  Sargeant, are the Dutch really playing club football at a way higher level than the US ? I’m not so sure. Klaasen was with Southampton a few years ago.  Daley Blind is like 150. Recovery the key for the US. Holland had practically a training session today. Pulisic has to play. 

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think Holland would of annihilated Iran. Iran would of been happy to just be there and would be in holiday mode in their heads. USA have always had a healthy arrogance ( some say naivety ) in world sport. They won’t be told they can’t win this. Apart from Zimmerman and  Sargeant, are the Dutch really playing club football at a way higher level than the US ? I’m not so sure. Klaasen was with Southampton a few years ago.  Daley Blind is like 150. Recovery the key for the US. Holland had practically a training session today. Pulisic has to play. 

Well said. Interesting to think that Dest could play for Holland, too.

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well said. Interesting to think that Dest could play for Holland, too.

Had a brilliant game tonight. Took a lot of flak in qualifying. Maybe he couldn’t get up for playing **** Panama in some shit hole. Could target the Dutch down that side for sure. 

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1

Not been funny but this is where the psychological guys that the USMNT employ for big bucks need to earn there big bucks over the next few days. Pull it whatever way you want - Dest is Dutch. Born and reared his whole life in Holland. It will be weird for him so he needs to be sat down and just evaluate where the head is at. Nobody can question his commitment to the cause. He’s had 3 impressive games. Excellent tonight but again that’s why you got these people in backrooms and the USMNT are very well funded so it’s incumbent upon them that Dest is mentally right. 

• Thanks 1