Christmas 2022

Seat68

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is it me or are there a LOT less houses with Christmas lights this year? I think people are saving the pennies. 

I was thinking this the other day when I was in traffic. Very few have gone for it this year. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I've got to brave the supermarket tomorrow at some point.

Won't be Sainsburys at Mere Green as that was like the Walking Dead even last week! 

Go either very early or very late.

Avoid between 12 -7 id say. Shcokingly bad of its like my tesco near me and my ones one of the biggest in the country.

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is it me or are there a LOT less houses with Christmas lights this year? I think people are saving the pennies. 

Not round me people have all their lights up and on from as soon as it gets dark.

Did an online shop as usual to avoid the masses. Issue is, lots of things subbed or unavailable so will need to pop to the supermarket anyway! Going to my in laws for Christmas Day, but still want to get a ham and other bits from the local butchers. Having preordered so hopefully they have enough in. 

4 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Did an online shop as usual to avoid the masses. Issue is, lots of things subbed or unavailable so will need to pop to the supermarket anyway! Going to my in laws for Christmas Day, but still want to get a ham and other bits from the local butchers. Having preordered so hopefully they have enough in. 

Ordering online has gone to shit recently. Much higher percentage are not in stock and get replaced or refunded. As you say, you’ll end up going anyway.

On 18/12/2022 at 13:41, mjmooney said:

I'm sure the irony is not lost on VT. 

It is not. In my head I did the Jim Carrey spitting water "Oh come on!!!".

• Haha 1

Nearly there. 

Hectic week, luckily I left my job and don't start my new one until Jan & the wife works at a school which finished last Friday. If that wasn't the case, I dunno how we'd have got everything done!! 

Monday was spent traipsing around Clarks Village in a blind state of 'what the hell shall we get people', then 2 different Sainsbury's before a visit to M&S foodhall to hammer the debit card by buying all the lush stuff they do at Xmas. 

Tuesday was spent wrapping the majority of the presents. 

Wedsneday, back out shopping. Get a few bits for the wife, lidl & Sainers again for the 'fresh' stuff but did manage to chill last night with a bottle of Malbec. 

Today has been more wrapping, cleaning the house top to bottom. 

Next 2 days consist of visiting family, dropping off presents before the main event.

I am knackered already 😂

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Get yourself a nice decanter to go with it. Looks classy next to some nice whisky glasses 

I have a really good skull one i love it 

off topic but does that help the taste of the whiskey? i know it helps for wine but always just understood that it didn't really do much to whiskey

19 hours ago, il_serpente said:

So my son was supposed to return yesterday from his first semester at university.  Major snowstorm in the Pacific Northwest and his flight is cancelled right as he's about to leave for the airport.  No way to get through to anyone on the phone to rebook since they all direct you to go online.  Next available flight listed for that airline is on 12/24, and our whole family is scheduled to fly to Mexico that day.  Buses to Seattle, where we could probably find flights, are all cancelled.  We manage to get him on a train as far as Bellingham, WA tonight (no seats available to Seattle) and a flight out of there tomorrow to Las Vegas and on to San Jose after a bit of a layover.  Then my wife gets an e-mail from the airline saying to expect delays or cancellations for any flights out of a list of airports that includes Bellingham.  Wifey is freaking out right now.  If he can't fly out in the morning, the only way to get him home in time is to somehow get him to Seattle, probably by Uber ($300) and hope we can get him on a flight.

Sorry Morten - Any better news today?

-24 here but the sun is out! 

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Shocked 1

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I know it's a cliché that time seems to go by more quickly as you get older, but it genuinely feels to me like it's only a few weeks since last Christmas. 

I feel exactly the same. It doesn't seem like a month since last Christmas never mind a year. 

I can't really say I have got into the Christmas spirit yet. I am not breaking up until tomorrow which doesn't help. Although tomorrow will be a cushy day doing as little as possible working from home. I think the biggest reason I am not in the festive mood though is that my kids are now past the getting really excited about pressies stage/way past believing in santa (they are 24 and 16) so I feel I am in that no mans land between having grown up kids and not yet having grandkids.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

off topic but does that help the taste of the whiskey? i know it helps for wine but always just understood that it didn't really do much to whiskey

It doesn't, and my worry would be it could ruin it. I love my whiskeys which is why I just leave them in the bottles they came in. Now how they're served, and the whole ice and water debate is another thing entirely, but at least the whiskey in that glass has come straight from the bottle  :D 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

It doesn't, and my worry would be it could ruin it. I love my whiskeys which is why I just leave them in the bottles they came in. Now how they're served, and the whole ice and water debate is another thing entirely, but at least the whiskey in that glass has come straight from the bottle  :D 

never ice, occasionally a teardrop of water for me!

back OT i'm hoping for a nice bottle or 2 for christmas this year. got well into it a little while back but don't drink it as much these days so they should last me a while

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Sorry Morten - Any better news today?

-24 here but the sun is out! 

-24!   Yikes!

He’s is getting closer to home, but not without nearly giving his mother a heart attack.  He went off script without letting us know and didn’t stop in Bellingham as planned but continued to near Seattle to spend the night with a friend who was going to drive him to the airport in the morning.  We had agreed on a time to talk but his Canadian phone plan doesn’t cover the US, so we couldn’t reach him, and he hadn’t checked into the hotel we booked him when we called there over 3 hours after he should have been there.  She was actually contemplating calling Police to report him missing.  He finally got WiFi at his friend’s house and saw our e-mails 2 hours after our scheduled call and reached us via Messenger.

We’ve now booked him on a flight out of Seattle this afternoon instead, but that airport’s been a mess also, so fingers crossed this one actually makes it out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

-24!   Yikes!

He’s is getting closer to home, but not without nearly giving his mother a heart attack.  He went off script without letting us know and didn’t stop in Bellingham as planned but continued to near Seattle to spend the night with a friend who was going to drive him to the airport in the morning.  We had agreed on a time to talk but his Canadian phone plan doesn’t cover the US, so we couldn’t reach him, and he hadn’t checked into the hotel we booked him when we called there over 3 hours after he should have been there.  She was actually contemplating calling Police to report him missing.  He finally got WiFi at his friend’s house and saw our e-mails 2 hours after our scheduled call and reached us via Messenger.

We’ve now booked him on a flight out of Seattle this afternoon instead, but that airport’s been a mess also, so fingers crossed this one actually makes it out.

Good luck mate - hope it all works out for you and the family 👍

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

-24!   Yikes!

Fingers crossed!

Whatsapp? That's how I keep in touch with the English back home. 

Perhaps he should have come to DU 😉

I just cleared the drive off - not too bad but when the snow blew back in my face 'oly hell - that was cold.

• Like 1