Christmas 2022

Seat68

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats a bitter response... and when i say bitter I mean malty, with hoppy overtones and a sharp finish. Reminds me of a few foaming flagons of Fuggles Volecatcher that I imbibed at the Kings Tavern in Chipping Camden, in the summer of '08. Halcyon days, my liege. ;) 

Contains a genuine piece of the brewers foreskin for extra body if my memory serves correctly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Contains a genuine piece of the brewers foreskin for extra body if my memory serves correctly

I shall need to consult my tasting notes. 

On 07/12/2022 at 18:00, Xela said:

Best Secret Santa gift I had was from a lad who had just started and sat next to me. He cleverly deduced from my bushy beard and portly frame that I was a fan of the real ale. He got me a Hobgoblin selection box, which came with a Hobgoblin pint glass. Result! 

I once got a pair of rubber gloves, some baby lotion and a copy of 50 plus

Probably the only secret santa gift I've ever had that I put to good use

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For those interested, the ghost story adaptation this year is Count Magnus by M.R. James. 

Scheduled for 23rd December, as has been the case in recent years, Mark Gatiss is running the show.

Excellent, I always look forward to these. 

• Like 1

Put up the tree and decked the halls this afternoon. Whisky and ginger, mince pies and Christmas music. I looked out of the window, and said "Come on, then - SNOW ya bugger!" 

And, literally as I spoke, the first flakes started drifting down. Didn't come to much, but just for that moment it was magical.  🧑‍🎄 

• Like 1

Question:

I appreciate that Christmas has to start earlier and earlier, and that's absolutely fine. Young children mean that any excuse for day-drinking is worth taking. 

However, how does supermarket buying and advertising strategy in this context work? If you've got 6kg turkeys on the shelves in mid-November, with a use-by date of 12th December, who is buying them? For what purpose? Who is having a 14 person Christmas dinner now?

I was in M&S earlier, and they had about sixty tubs of bread sauce, use-by-date of 20th December. Who are they catering for?

Edited by ml1dch

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Question:

I appreciate that Christmas has to start earlier and earlier, and that's absolutely fine. Young children mean that any excuse for day-drinking is worth taking. 

However, how does supermarket buying and advertising strategy in this context work? If you've got 6kg turkeys on the shelves in mid-November, with a use-by date of 12th December, who is buying them? For what purpose? Who is having a 14 person Christmas dinner now?

I was in M&S earlier, and they had about sixty tubs of bread sauce, use-by-date of 20th December. Who are they catering for?

With the turkey, I'd guess you would freeze it when you purchase it. 

As for the other stuff, I agree. You loads of Christmas food (mince pies etc) with a best before date way before the 25th. 

Tree and decorations were supposed to go up this weekend but me and Mrs Sidcow have both been ill all weekend so we're still plain and boring. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Watched Die Hard With A Vengeance the other day and that got me in the festive mood

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've never seen any of the Die Hard films. 

I believe our friend is being charmingly contrary here, as it’s the first of the franchise that doesn’t have a snowy Christmas setting.

The film makers seemingly were keen to hammer home the absence of Christmas as the film literally opens up with sun-lit shots of New York with Lovin’ Spoonful, Summer in the City playing over the top.

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I believe our friend is being charmingly contrary here, as it’s the first of the franchise that doesn’t have a snowy Christmas setting.

The film makers seemingly were keen to hammer home the absence of Christmas as the film literally opens up with sun-lit shots of New York with Lovin’ Spoonful, Summer in the City playing over the top.

I was indeed, however:

• When John McClane is first forced to team up with Harlem storeowner Zeus Carver (Jackson), he mishears his name as "Jesús". While Zeus goes on to deny that his name is in fact Jesús (much like the very humble Jesus would likely do today)
  • When John catches a child stealing, the child explains, "It's Christmas, you could steal city hall." ... he and Zeus then steal the kid's bike, as Zeus tells him "It's Christmas."
  • while Gruber steals gold, McClane and Carver have to solve puzzles that require them to be frank and sensible or they'll be murdered

Also:

when John is walking up to the truck in the tunnel he says "We had a report of a guy coming through here with eight reindeer. Yeah, they say he was a jolly old fat guy with a snowy white beard, cute little red and white suit. I'm surprised you didn't see him."

And:

Charlie played by Kevin Chamberlain sings part of the 12 Days of Christmas [Six booby traps, four dead ends, "and a Partridge in a pear tree." Okay, honey. Let's dance.] while disarming t…

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 17:56, ml1dch said:

Question:

Im guessing you can freeze the turkey for a week?