Christmas 2022

Seat68

28 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

When do people put presents under the tree? My wife objects to any put there until Christmas Eve whereas I think they should go there once the tree is up as it makes the tree look better. 

They’re under the tree once Father Christmas puts them there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They’re under the tree once Father Christmas puts them there.

What about gifts from family members? These get posted up to us and have to be kept in the cupboard until Christmas Eve. 

51 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

When do people put presents under the tree? My wife objects to any put there until Christmas Eve whereas I think they should go there once the tree is up as it makes the tree look better. 

We have a few under the tree for decoration, then put the rest out Christmas eve

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

What about gifts from family members? These get posted up to us and have to be kept in the cupboard until Christmas Eve. 

As I have my daughter here, any present will have to go under the tree on Christmas Eve.

My folks used to have fake presents under the tree leading up to the day itself. Empty boxes, wrapped up, to complete the look of the tree. Perhaps the compromise you’re looking for?

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As I have my daughter here, any present will have to go under the tree on Christmas Eve.

My folks used to have fake presents under the tree leading up to the day itself. Empty boxes, wrapped up, to complete the look of the tree. Perhaps the compromise you’re looking for?

The look is a big part of it for me but I think back about how excited I used to get seeing presents under the tree for me and trying to guess what they were and seeing the pile grow as we got nearer to Christmas day. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The look is a big part of it for me but I think back about how excited I used to get seeing presents under the tree for me and trying to guess what they were and seeing the pile grow as we got nearer to Christmas day. 

We never really had that. It was always the presents arrive when Santa brings them.

Then, after learning of the true level of Santa’s actual involvement, the presents would still be only be on show on Christmas morning. I assume because my parents didn’t want us shaking the boxes or asking to open them early.

Having said that, I have no recollection of being impatient on Christmas Eve to warrant having the presents out of sight and out of mind. The idea of opening just one the night before like they do on tv sitcoms is completely alien to me. I guess my folks just got into a habit of hiding them until the 25th.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Finally got the main Christmas Tree up. 

It will come as so suprise to anyone that we have 2 😁

The smaller one is much less of a ball ache though. 

Where do you keep them? Must be some designated storage space for that, cupboard perhaps unless somewhere outside…

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Easy  then, don't  put the tree up until  Christmas Eve

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The idea of opening just one the night before like they do on tv sitcoms is completely alien to me. I guess my folks just got into a habit of hiding them until the 25th.

I think it's a Scandawegian thing - I believe the Danes open their presents on Christmas eve and my wife is from Dutch heritage so it's ok to open a present on the 24th.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think it's a Scandawegian thing - I believe the Danes open their presents on Christmas eve and my wife is from Dutch heritage so it's ok to open a present on the 24th.

Not just the snow-bound europeans. I once spent a Christmas in France with my then-gf's family. They all marched off to midnight mass, came back and opened all their presents. I was dumbfounded and kept asking "but what happens on actual Christmas Day?". The answer was a typical gallic shrug. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Jona Lewie can f*** right off now, I hope the cavalry stampede all over him

Fantastic tune.  Don't think I've actually heard it yet this Christmas.

Probably because I'm always in the kitchen at parties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Fantastic tune.  Don't think I've actually heard it yet this Christmas.

Probably because I'm always in the kitchen at parties.

Whatever Xmas radio shite they have on in the main room outside my office has been playing it on the hour since 1st December

• Haha 1

I've not heard 2,000 Miles yet either.  Slade seems to be slowly slipping as well.  Odd because Noddy Holder is still frequently portrayed as the king of Christmas, but the song itself I hear less often compared to others.

Another Rock'n'Rolling Christmas is another you don't hear much these days too:D