• McGinn (Bailey 70)
    • Kamara (Watkins 78)
    • Young (Digne 79)
    • Ings (Buendía 79)
    • Sanson (Dendoncker 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/22 at 23:59

22 hours ago, KillieVillain said:

Absolute dream start for Unai, 1st game in charge & beating a team at home we could never beat , also that’s us scored 7 goals since Gerrard the fraud left , just proves we do have good players & he was a rotten manager. 

Totally agree that this was a fantastic win, most enjoyable match I can remember for at least 5 years, Emery made an excellent start. 

However, some ridiculously outdated sense that statistics should be quoted accurately does require me to point out that while we have scored 7 goals since “Gerrard the fraud” left, we have also conceded 5, so I think that puts all the conclusions you are drawing from these three games on slightly more shaky territory.

Sorry to spoil the fun. 🙂

19 hours ago, ender4 said:

@Paul33

No judgement but I’m intrigued what you think Emery needed to do better to get a ‘very good’ rather than a ‘good’ rating?

Have you ever given a very good rating to a previous manager?

Yes I have and yes I will for Emery (hopefully) but you are clearly attributing that performance 100% to the manager and I'm just not that naïve. Players were always going to play up to impress the new gaffa ..... the key test of Emery's influence will come from games ahead and particularly games after the World Cup when he will have had opportunity to genuinely influence the team.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Yes I have and yes I will for Emery (hopefully) but you are clearly attributing that performance 100% to the manager and I'm just not that naïve. Players were always going to play up to impress the new gaffa ..... the key test of Emery's influence will come from games ahead and particularly games after the World Cup when he will have had opportunity to genuinely influence the team.

Thanks for responding.  Always nice to hear the thought process for differing opinions 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

That is clear and understandable reasoning, which I'm very glad you gave. 

Whilst I agree to some extent, I voted very good because if we're just looking at that game in a vacuum, it's hard to see what else he could have done imo. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just walked into clinic , African security sees my top and says " You destroyed Manchester United yesterday huh " and gives me a first bump. Lol

Most Africans I know here are Man U fans.

🔥🔥🔥

Work on them, JV. Spread the word. I'm not sure what it's like now but I thought we used to have quite a sizeable supporters club in Africa (Ghana Lions). 

Also didn't we supply shirts to a team in Africa during the 90's (country eludes me, sorry)? IIRC they turned out in our Muller kits. 

• Like 1

Just listening to Talksport. Andy Goldstein always annoys me with his constant references to Newton Heath every afternoon on his show. I wonder why they haven't got a mention today, after an hour of the show?;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Ha ha, thanks! I truly believe that preparation is just as important as ability.  One without the other gets you only so far.  I agree with you that we have squad quality/trait issues which is now what Emery has to sort out but he can only see them when the players are playing as best as they can, that requires great coaching.

I think Emery’s level of detail is exactly what we need, what a midtable team needs to fight how tough the PL is.  Yesterday was fabulous, I still feel we have many bumps ahead though and it will test fans, but I hope Emery’s level of detail, planning and preparedness will get us to where we want to go in time.  Great coaching is the first step which he will do over the coming period, then let’s see what he can do with the squad both current and future players.  This team is still very fragile, it’ll take time but at least imo we have somebody who can get the best out of them.

I hope he doesn’t disappoint because I have high hopes in him but for now I’m still wildly celebrating yesterday and the hope for the future under him.

It will be interesting to see how we fair on Thursday.

They will be smarting, and the physicality, could go up a gear.....they will not want to lose again....That application on Sunday, was impressive.

We will see how we can cope, with their dark arts......but what a great start.

I am not expecting too much too soon,that would be unfair, but I was shocked, by what I saw on Sunday, so soon, after his arrival.

It does worry me, with these dirty so and so's and ably aided by the officials.....I just hope they don't ****house us out of it, as they tried their best on Sunday.

fingers crossed, we get something.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

It will be interesting to see how we fair on Thursday.

They will be smarting, and the physicality, could go up a gear.....they will not want to lose again....That application on Sunday, was impressive.

We will see how we can cope, with their dark arts......but what a great start.

I am not expecting too much too soon,that would be unfair, but I was shocked, by what I saw on Sunday, so soon, after his arrival.

It does worry me, with these dirty so and so's and ably aided by the officials.....I just hope they don't ****house us out of it, as they tried their best on Sunday.

fingers crossed, we get something.

Yep I’m expecting a very different game on Thursday, never mind we are playing at their ground, the fact we aren’t good away and they will be looking for blood.  Whether we win or lose I’m fascinated how Emery will tweak it and adjust for a different type of game.  Obviously I want us to win but I’m really interested at this early stage with very little time with the squad whether we win or lose if and how he changes players, tactics, strategies, whatever to suit this game. Maybe too early to do much if at all but thankfully we can at least feel more comfortable league position wise over the WC break because of his first game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

Man united fans crying 

Measure the free kick given to Man U second half dead center.   You will see that referee marked off an absurdly long distance for the wall in that one too.   I noticed both, but it was equitable so I didn’t mention either.  

26 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Measure the free kick given to Man U second half dead center.   You will see that referee marked off an absurdly long distance for the wall in that one too.   I noticed both, but it was equitable so I didn’t mention either.  

We were in Trinity, that was right in front of us. Said  to my lad he counted 11 big paces to where he told our wall to stand

Player of the Match could have easily gone to Mings, Martinez, Bailey and Ramsey. Others played well.

Watching the game, I thought United's press was abysmal ... thank you Ronaldo. This allowed Villa to do what they were trying to do in past games, but successfully.

The three goals were things of beauty.  On another day De Gea might have stopped Bailey's goal, but a lovely pass from Ramsey.

Digne's goal was a thing of Beauty. De Gea was not getting that one.

And for the third, I thought Watkins was going to get trapped on the touchline, but he passed the ball back beautifully, splitting the defenders, to Ramsey drifting into the box. This is one of the best Villa goals I have seen in a while.

McGinn? I don't know. Nice Cameo from Sanson. Young did OK. Kamara ... really pleased to see him back, he did what he had to do. Ings, not bad; but not stellar either. Young OK. 

Everyone else? They played like I expect Villa players earning millions of dollars a year to play.

I could not watch the game yesterday morning, another commitment; and eventually went to the BBC site to see if it was safe to come on to VillaTalk. The wife gave me permission to watch in the afternoon.

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wonderful wasn't it?

On Friday I went to the U21's at Bodymoor and found myself sat next to a young American chap with one of those modern/old fashioned names that my brain is incapable of retaining. 

Tom Hanks?

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 3

Just watched that " Unai Emery Cam "

My mental notes are

Austin McPhee is either outstanding at his job or a real charmer.

The lads on the bench looked genuinely chuffed for the lads on the pitch.

We don't have a togetherness problem, we just needed someone who could be a proper "father figure " to Manage and bring it altogether.

Obs extremely early days but the camp seems capable.

Â