Match Thread: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

I fully trust Emery to prepare the team for the second half. He’ll use that lucky defection as a big wake up call and ensure they don’t go out and collapse. That’s the hope anyway. Great start for us, let’s see it out and make everybody happy 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Despite that late goal, and United coming strongly back into the game, it's a nice thought that we have a manager who will go in at half-time and have some ideas on how to plug the gaps and how to exploit any weaknesses rather than one how will just ask for more of the same and hope for the best.

Definitely. And it’s nice not to be able to predict exactly what change will be made and when.

Gerrard would be 65 mins Ings on for Watkins and Buendia on for Coutinho

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

It feels like Buendia is trying a bit too hard to force things. He's still picking up very good positions and hassling them when we don't have the ball, but Unai might need to put an arm around him and tell him to calm down and keep things a bit simpler. 

I think he’s just trying really hard to impress Unai, hopefully he calms it down in the second half.

4 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think Buendia has been excellent. 

If you watch that half, he's constantly picked up the pockets of space and allowed us to get overlaps and runners involved. 

Couple of things he's tried haven't come off but he is causing them problems. 

I agree people are critical because he gives the ball away a few times but hes the link between midfield and attack. 

2 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Conceding to those sort of goals really **** me off. I’d rather be undone by class than  luck 

Well the positive of this is that it takes them bizarre luck to score on us. They’ve been coming on strong but we’ve done a good job of keeping them at bay.

• Like 1

Probably the best 45 mins of possession and pressing I’ve seen from us since we got back into the Premier League. We looked tired by the end of the half. Smart subs needed second half to keep the work rate up! 

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I guarantee that Emery right now is not asking the players for individual moments of magic..............

Which is ironic because he already got two in his first half.  Gerrard couldn't even get 1 in 4 matches this season!  

Edited by KMitch

Playing with a clear style and formation anx with more confidence than previous games bar Brentford.

Just on their lucky goal, there were 2 possibly 3 players offside when the first ball came in, it was scrabled clear then they scored. No doubt if we had scored that it would have been ruled out for the previous offside.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Been here before haven’t we, 2-0 up at home to United.

Its not panned out well in the past, let’s see if Unai can buck the trend.

It does have the hallmarks of a classic villa bottlejob, but I'm trying to have faith

Do you think it is on purpose that Cash defends so narrow? There is so much space out wide in that side, but maybe it is on purpose, since we should be able to deal with crosses.

I hope he gets instructed to go wider in the second half. 

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Which is ironic because he already got two already in his first half.  Gerrard couldn't even get 1 in 4 matches this season!  

Tbf baileys wasn't really a moment of magic. Good holdup play by Watkins and his ball into ramsey left him and Bailey 2 on 1 vs the CB.