Match Thread: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

So many positives to take from that half. Shame we kind of fell under pressure towards the end and conceded such a flukey goal, cause they’ll come out on the front foot. I trust Emery will try to be proactive and not just ride the lead, though. 

It feels like Buendia is trying a bit too hard to force things. He's still picking up very good positions and hassling them when we don't have the ball, but Unai might need to put an arm around him and tell him to calm down and keep things a bit simpler. 

• Like 2

I never expected anything other than a loss. But what I didn’t expect was to look this different in the first match, which is great. We need more pace in the side, Buendia also needs to settle and slow himself down, the rest of the side are playing within themselves, EB is too eager.

• Like 1

Lots of good film for the team to work on this week.  Many times this half the boys didn't know where they should be, when they should press, which one of them needs to pick up which runner, or where to move into space but that's OK!  That's the stuff they'll learn and pick up over time.  The most impressive thing is that on his first game, he's already set up the team to both play to their strengths and try to stifle Man United's counterattack.  

36 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just been for a walk to the village shop with the wife.

My boots have rubbed crater-sized holes in my heels, it pissed down on the way back so I'm soaked, and I had to walk the last mile in bare feet.

Then I see the score from Villa Park and am expecting to wake from a feverish dream at any moment.

Be a lamb Rob and go for a long walk in your bare feet for the second half please mate

• Haha 2