Pre-Match Thread: Enter Emery

maqroll

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Avoiding defeat would be a victory in itself.

I’ve been going down VP for over 30yrs now and I’ve seen 2 wins against these fecking spunktrumpets. So whilst I agree that a draw would be a decent result, I hope we smash them and the fans coach blows up on the M25

This is a much much easier game than Brighton next week.

I think we can win without even being at our best. Utd are not a good side. No Fernandes, who isn't great, but everything goes through him for them.

Hopefully Maguire plays.

Interested to see what Emery does. I hope he doesn't go for Ings and Watkins up front in a two, don't see either being at their best as the forward dropping a bit deeper. Rather just stick Buendia there tbh.

• Confused 1

I'll enjoy seeing us play.  I'll enjoy seeing what Unai tries and how the lads execute it.  But I'm not gonna read a whole lot into it.  Of course I hope we play amazingly and win convincingly, but i won't think it's a sure sign of greatness to come if we do...  nor will i think the dream is over if we get beaten handily.  Tomorrow is educational for us about what he is going to try first (I think he has the flexibility to have a plan b and c if needed) and how the players respond to him.  That's all.  It will be a lot more fun if it's all roses and victory.  But it won't the future of Villa make, either way.

• Like 2

After all this hype and optimism, and not that I think this will happen, but I wonder how the fans would react if we got turned over. I mean properly spanked. I hope we'd keep level heads, but that would almost be a bigger kick in the balls than if we'd made no changes. 

Anyway, I think we'll put up a fight and narrowly lose out tonight, following it up with a win in the cup next week. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This is a much much easier game than Brighton next week.

I think we can win without even being at our best. Utd are not a good side. No Fernandes, who isn't great, but everything goes through him for them.

Hopefully Maguire plays.

Interested to see what Emery does. I hope he doesn't go for Ings and Watkins up front in a two, don't see either being at their best as the forward dropping a bit deeper. Rather just stick Buendia there tbh.

I think you’re massively underestimating them. They will likely play with Erikson as the 10 and he will cause loads of problems.

They are much better in the last few games than last season and they still managed to finish in the Europa spots last season. 

Not saying they’re unbeatable but it won’t be an easy game.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think you’re massively underestimating them. They will likely play with Erikson as the 10 and he will cause loads of problems.

They are much better in the last few games than last season and they still managed to finish in the Europa spots last season. 

Not saying they’re unbeatable but it won’t be an easy game.

Either that or overestimating Brighton.

Shocker of a fixture to go to the break with that one.

You just know whats going to happen united won't play well we will dominate make a mistake like last time we played them and make it harder for ourselves that it needs to be.

The only thing is its hard for anyone to predict how emery is going to setup today thats whats makes difficulty when playing a new manager. Thats where i believe alot of this "honeymoon period" comes from.

I have a feeling chambers could be in for a suprise start

• Like 1

We've beat them in the cup, we've beat them at their place, but it is really high time that we beat them again at home in the league. We have gone 23 league games at Villa Park since we last did so (a winless run top flight record). Villa fans who are aged under 30, won't ever have seen us beat them in a league game at Villa Park! It was that long ago that Yorke was playing for us and not for them. Beckham was one of the "kids" that Mark Lawrenson said afterwards on MOTD, that you can't win anything with. It has been years 27 long years, lets win this one today!!! 🤞

Aston Villa 3-1 Manchester United: Alan Hansen's finest hour 20 years on -  Manchester Evening News

Edited by John

2 minutes ago, John said:

It has been years 38 long years, lets win this one today!!! 🤞

Where'd you get 38?

Its 27 since 1995, you off your meds again? 

🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

After all this hype and optimism, and not that I think this will happen, but I wonder how the fans would react if we got turned over. I mean properly spanked. I hope we'd keep level heads, but that would almost be a bigger kick in the balls than if we'd made no changes. 

Anyway, I think we'll put up a fight and narrowly lose out tonight, following it up with a win in the cup next week. 

It's his first game so he gets a pass, even Villa fans accept that one. This one is most definitely on the players, hopefully no - one as told them that.

Be an interesting one today. I know he’s barely been in a week but I’m intrigued to see if there’s any change in our attitude or style of play. Also depends which Man Utd turn up. No Fernandes is a plus.