Pre-Match Thread: Enter Emery

maqroll

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The sun will be out on a nice crisp autumn day. There will be no traffic problems and I will able to get a pint at the Bartons without waiting for half an hour. The team announcement will come out in which everyone will agree that it is correct formation with the current players. 

Emery will enter Villa Park on a bed of rose petals whilst acknowledging the crowd, confident that he has finally found his football home.   

We control the game and win 3-0 and there will be 2 minutes of injury time.

This will all happen. 

Deluded

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive just accepted we are never going to beat them at villa park in my life time.

Last season it was best chance we had as they were absolutely hopeless and we go and start the game 2 down.  Bloody gerrard 

Emi chucking one in after five minutes wasn't the best start. Then we were playing well and Sanson did a blind reverse pass that got intercepted.

What gives me hope is generally we've competed with them in all the games since coming up.  Should never have lost the cup game and four points off them in a league season is always very good so I don't think this squad has the mental hang ups v them as opposed to previous Villa teams.

I think a 1-1 aswell. Man. United are improving but they are pretty low scoring and Rashford's the only one in final third with pace so we can press a bit higher compared to other top 6 teams.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Suprised the club are not doing anything big for sunday as this is a massive turning point for the club

What should we do? Emery in a open top bus paraded around the pitch?

He'll get a terrific reception pre match. We will have remembrance Sunday tribute so can't do too much fanfare either.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The sun will be out on a nice crisp autumn day. There will be no traffic problems and I will able to get a pint at the Bartons without waiting for half an hour. The team announcement will come out in which everyone will agree that it is correct formation with the current players. 

Emery will enter Villa Park on a bed of rose petals whilst acknowledging the crowd, confident that he has finally found his football home.   

This will all happen. 

In a post match interview Emery headbutts Jamie Carragher, who drops to the floor like a sack of spuds. 

As Unai walks away, the microphones faintly pick up the words he mutters under his breath; "and good ebening to you sir".

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What should we do? Emery in a open top bus paraded around the pitch?

He'll get a terrific reception pre match. We will have remembrance Sunday tribute so can't do too much fanfare either.

Yes action rather than words. Gerrard talked a good game but turned out he was useless.

Really looking forward to this and hopefully seeing some early shoots of what Emery would like us to do going forward. Hard to predict his starting line up though but I wouldn’t of thought we’ll see wholesale changes.  4231, 442 or 433??..

Martinez

Cash        Chambers             Mings          Digne

Dendoncker         Luiz 

Bailey                    Buendia                  Ramsey

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Young, Konsa, Bednarek, Kamara/Sanson, McGinn, Coutinho, Ings, Archer 

Very partisan crowd making it a special atmosphere again.  Going to say 2-1  UTV

Edited by ferguson1

I don't think it matters too much about the formation with emery, it may well start out at 442 but will have changed multiple times in the game.

The team sheet will be really interesting but I wouldn't even try to guess anything else before the game kicks off.

Its going to be fascinating watching them play whatever the result.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I don't think it matters too much about the formation with emery, it may well start out at 442 but will have changed multiple times in the game.

So we have no identity?

Unai out!

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive just accepted we are never going to beat them at villa park in my life time.

Last season it was best chance we had as they were absolutely hopeless and we go and start the game 2 down.  Bloody gerrard 

Yeah last season i felt was the closest despite going 2-0 down we had the momentum and the players to finally end the curse but no no it just wasn’t meant to be. Even i resign to the fact it will never happen but i got a sneaky feeling 🫢

23 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

This will all happen. 

And then you woke up ! 😂

• Like 1

I went back through our head to head with United at Villa Park for some machoistic reason . I've seen us play them 16 times. Zero wins. If we don't new manager bounce them, we'll never beat this bastards I swear. 

I think a few will be disappointed with the way we set up against Man U. UE is still assessing the squad, and I would expect him to make major changes gradually. 

If it was me, first game I'd set up similar to last one and see what needs fixing. 

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'm really not looking forward to this game. Sure it's exciting with Emery but he's had no where near enough time to make an impact, imo, But we shall see

If he loses, he'll be harshly judged by a segment of the fan base -- there's simply no way around that, unfortunately, because people are idiots, and yeah, since it's likely, it does give the match a bit of extra baggage—Gerrard's and the players' baggage, to be sure, but that won't matter to the negative nellies.

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes action rather than words. Gerrard talked a good game but turned out he was useless.

Not sure what you mean by a good game, but I found Gerrard's coaching bromides and football-manager cliches pretty weak sauce. It seemed pathetic and out-of-his-depth. 

On 03/11/2022 at 07:36, Demitri_C said:

Suprised the club are not doing anything big for sunday as this is a massive turning point for the club

What would you have in mind. Genuinely interested, or are you joking?