Unai Emery

PeterSw

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I love the bloke, and he's doing a phenomenal job here, but a chart that considers CL wins the same as a Conference League win is pretty much without value.

If you look at win percentages and ignore which competitions they're in, Steve Bruce looks like the second best Villa manager in the last 30 years.

I agree with some of what you say but if we stripped out the Conference League wins above (which is quite a new competition) he'd still be top 3 in the list.

Super Unai!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I love the bloke, and he's doing a phenomenal job here, but a chart that considers CL wins the same as a Conference League win is pretty much without value.

If you look at win percentages and ignore which competitions they're in, Steve Bruce looks like the second best Villa manager in the last 30 years.

But he hasnt had the best teams in the league to manage. I think thats the pay off  . He has traditionally had top 6 teams rather than top 3 or 4 apart from PSG.. so the relative strength of his squad is worse . He has punched his weight exactly in Europe i would say

• Like 3

Ten Hag coming out with all these excuses about the injuries he's had to deal with, thank God we've got Emery who just gets on with things! (and still delivers).

Edited by Tom13

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's all relative to the squad you have though? If you're a CL level side, you don't qualify for EL and CL. I still don't think our squad is quite top 4, but Unai has us there!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We could.

I don’t believe we will. I think what will likely happen is we’ll bounce around 3rd to 7th over the next few years, trophy here and there. I’m saying that almost flippantly but that would be fantastic.

But yes, we could win it. If we can play the best team off the park, beat the second best team home and away…it wouldn’t be the most ridiculous thing to say that a team that can do that could ultimately win it.

Klopp leaving, Arsenal plateauing and hopefully City feeling the brunt of the 115 charges could open the door for us. We're literally the next best team :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

When you think he's done it with villa, sevilla, villareal and a declining arsenal side rather than barca, bayern and man city it is mad, not sure what it'll be as a percentage either, I'm guessing higher than pep's 

• Like 2

Sam Wallace of the Telegraph touting Emery for the Man Utd job. I won't link that rag of a paper or the poor excuse of a journalist.

As usual any side who remotely starts to perform must have their players/manager move to a "big six" side. 

I just don’t see him leaving until he has accomplished all he thinks he can with us. He doesn’t strike me as a manager to abandon ship when a ‘supposed big 6’ club comes calling. When he does leave I think it will either be Real Madrid or Barcelona. Man United are in disarray and they would not change their whole football structure to accommodate Unai like we have done. 

10 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Any chance Bayern come in for him?

Bild reports that Emery and De Zerbi are Bayern's favourites after Nagelsmann rejection last week. It's only natural to have him linked to big clubs after what's he's done with us and while I don't think he'd ever consider any other English clubs Bayern could be tempting I suppose. But seeing he celebrates our wins even more than most of our fans I think we'll be good 😃

It was no different when we had Saunders, he was often tapped up, but, like Unai, he understood what this club is all about. I really don't get the insecurity. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It was no different when we had Saunders, he was often tapped up, but, like Unai, he understood what this club is all about. I really don't get the insecurity. 

He does understand that but he'll still move on, won't be for another 2-3 years though IMO (hopefully more!).

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He does understand that but he'll still move on, won't be for another 2-3 years though IMO (hopefully more!).

That's my point. He didn't come to Birmingham for the weather, he came because he sensed the opportunity to achieve something special. He isn't, imo, even halfway there yet.

• Like 1

Â