Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X% perspiration, Y% inspiration.

Whether it’s the often quoted 90/10 split I don’t know. I do simply think Emery is both more dedicated to succeed and naturally more intelligent than 99% of other managers. The dedication enhances that intelligence.

Added to that, I think not having a successful playing career (comparatively speaking to his management career) will help fuel that dedication. Making up for it, I guess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How is he so good at this? Is he just really really intelligent, like ultra genius level, or simply really really dedicated?

I’d love to see a day in the life of Unai. Ultimately, I think he lives and breathes the game, but then he has a way to distil all of that knowledge down in a way that the players can understand and act upon.

He is like a v effective teacher: having all of that knowledge is one thing, but being able to communicate it in little practical changes here and there is next level. I don’t just think he’s a good football coach, I think he’s a remarkably intelligent man. I guess Arsene Wenger was like this too.

I am sorry to bring him up, but the comparison with Stevie G (and many other former players in management) is instructive. He just cannot begin to appreciate how Unai sees the game; let alone communicate this to the players. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Surprised nobody is talking about the links that Bayern are after him now. 

Probably because Emery has dismissed them.

The Villa boss was asked about the links to Bayern following the win over the Cherries. And the Spaniard batted them away, responding: "I am focused here, 100 per cent."

Edited by duke313

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Probably because Emery has dismissed them.

Has he definitely or just brushed them aside? Until he says I’m not leaving I’d still be nervous.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Roitorb said:

Has he definitely or just brushed them aside? Until he says I’m not leaving I’d still be nervous.

Unai can build an empire here in whatever way he wants.  I don't see many jobs out there where he can do it in such a way.  He's been chewed up and spat out by Arsenal and PSG, Bayern have done the same to quite a few managers since Pep.  I wouldn't be worried at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

PASHUN (but in a good way).

The more mental he goes after a goal the more sure you can be of a win. He knows in advance after 1002 games what the likelihood of a game outcome will be. He has done his homework, he knows how to control a game.  He just knows.  

4 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Surprised nobody is talking about the links that Bayern are after him now. 

I’m trying to ignore them. I don’t subscribe to the fact that he wouldn’t leave us. He’s ambitious and left Villarreal where he was adored to come to us. If he wanted the move and they wanted him, he would go. 

That said, I think there will be more fashionable candidates and I certainly don’t think he’d be desperate for a move, he seems very happy. I’m pretty confident he’ll still be here next season. I would feel a lot more confident if we qualified for CL. 

My main concern is that I would like the club to have a contingency plan if he upped sticks and took all his back room staff with him.  However, when he does go, be that in 3 months or 3 years, I know we’ll be in a much better place than when he took over.

Not bothered by the Bayern links. 

He’s done wonders here and it’s understandable that the press are going to link him to all the big jobs available. 

however, he’s a project manager and he’s just about finished year one  (a full season) here, things are going better than expectations and I’m sure he wants to see this project through to a conclusion 

There is a chance he would go, but i just cannot see a man of such integrity leaving us in the lurch when he is building something so special. He has been given everything by the owners. Seriously heavyweight owners who will always back him as much as they possibly can within the rules. He not only has his own backroom staff, he has his own sporting director and director of football. Thats unique in the football world. Truly unique. 

With this unique set up he has the best support and coaching group he has ever had. Which has led to the best win percentage apart from PSG in his history. Theres plenty of time for him to take on a behemoth of a club in the future. He is 52. Got 15 years left at the top of his game at least.

Leaving now would be like calling off a wedding at the altar.  

• Like 1

Â