Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get the control he gets here, Unai would need to replace both Tuchel and Rummenigge at Bayern.

I think people underestimate the degree to which we've given him the keys to the castle.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

To get the control he gets here, Unai would need to replace both Tuchel and Rummenigge at Bayern.

I think people underestimate the degree to which we've given him the keys to the castle.

I don’t underestimate it, I just slightly worry about it. It’s obviously working at the moment and long may it continue but it does come with risk. Anyway, I genuinely believe he is 100% committed here at the moment. No way has he worked this hard to get distracted at this stage of the season. I’ll be happy if the managerial merry go round passes him by in the summer tho.

• Like 1

Found this interesting, this guy (worth a follow, for what it's worth) isn't someone that indulges in any kind of speculation etc, so when he says something will happen/has happened it's a pretty safe bet that it's true.

I remember there was talk at the time that the club were speaking to him before but ultimately Emery was their first choice. Speaks to the appeal of the job.

• Like 3

If we weren't still progressing then I'd be more worried about Emery leaving. Say we finish 4th this season but then slip back to 7th next season then yeah, I could see him maybe being tempted. But right now? Doubt it.

I think the only worry is Unai doesn’t stay too long in jobs. His longest job was at Valencia for 4 years, he stayed at Sevilla for 3 years and Villarreal for 2 years. He’s not an Arsenal Wenger type who even before he went to Arsenal had spent 7 years at Monaco and had only had 2-3 jobs. We might be different given the control he has been given here plus the fact he is very good friends with Nas by all accounts, but I don’t trust anything in football any more after Grealish left us. Also, Bayern is no small time job or a mess of a club like Manchester Utd. They are one of a few teams who can genuinely win the Champions League and apart from this season have won the Bundesliga pretty much every season for the last decade, and their squad is littered with top, top players. 

I think if we finish 4th this season and make Champions League I’d be very confident Unai would stay. If we finish 5th I’m a lot less confident. His answer to the links after Sunday’s game was “I am focused here, 100%”. Great, but that’s not exactly distancing himself from those rumours. 

I think he’ll stay at least one more season but we can’t be naive and think he’ll stay forever, you have to prepare for the worst with good contingency planning. Replacing him with a Gerrard like appointment would be a disaster, but bringing in someone of the quality of Amorim or Fonseca would be the sort of thing I’d expect from a well run club.

46 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think the only worry is Unai doesn’t stay too long in jobs. His longest job was at Valencia for 4 years, he stayed at Sevilla for 3 years and Villarreal for 2 years. He’s not an Arsenal Wenger type who even before he went to Arsenal had spent 7 years at Monaco and had only had 2-3 jobs. We might be different given the control he has been given here plus the fact he is very good friends with Nas by all accounts, but I don’t trust anything in football any more after Grealish left us. Also, Bayern is no small time job or a mess of a club like Manchester Utd. They are one of a few teams who can genuinely win the Champions League and apart from this season have won the Bundesliga pretty much every season for the last decade, and their squad is littered with top, top players. 

I think if we finish 4th this season and make Champions League I’d be very confident Unai would stay. If we finish 5th I’m a lot less confident. His answer to the links after Sunday’s game was “I am focused here, 100%”. Great, but that’s not exactly distancing himself from those rumours. 

I think he’ll stay at least one more season but we can’t be naive and think he’ll stay forever, you have to prepare for the worst with good contingency planning. Replacing him with a Gerrard like appointment would be a disaster, but bringing in someone of the quality of Amorim or Fonseca would be the sort of thing I’d expect from a well run club.

Yup.

History will tell you that Emery will leave. When he leaves is difficult to tell.

My worry is I think he still want to prove himself at a giant club after Arsenal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

My worry is I think he still want to prove himself at a giant club after Arsenal.

What if we are the giant club in 3 years time 😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What if we are the giant club in 3 years time 😃

This is it… we are on our way. Making moves off the pitch as well as on it. Our potential is huge and Unai has everything he wants and needs… and more on the way… this is home. Look at the swift & stunning progress we have already made in such a short space of time… imagine how much more we can do…

The best thing us fans can do is show him as much love and appreciation as possible.

He won’t get all this anywhere else… we are fully invested in him and vice versa.

The topic is a non starter and just more stupid and unnecessary negativity and fear mongering… it’s just in the genes of certain ppl.

• Like 1

The reality is nothing lasts forever. If the opportunity arrived for Unai and his team to move to somewhere like Bayern for mega money he would go. I would suggest the better he does here the more chance he leaves: his value increases, he has made good on his Arsenal experience, ticked the Premier League box. I suspect he might want to manage in Germany, Italy and one of the top two in Spain. He is only 52 and the weather is terrible here.

I don't think the timing is right however, I think he will feel there is still Champions League and a convincing title challenge here as unfinished business. I don't think he will be here in after 25/26 season (two more full campaigns).

I remember the height of Sir GT Mk I, Big Ron, Little, Gregory, MoN - it's so hard to think of how it would end, or why, when you're in the midst of the good times. Of course, it does end, nothing's forever, and we eventually know why and how. Many a varied reason. 

Of course I don't know what Unai has in his contract - maybe there's a few clubs he insisted he could speak to, who knows; I'm thinking Barca and Real Madrid here, not Bayern.

But Unai didn't come here on a whim. Whatever went on in that interview, I just don't think Nas was looking to hire "just" a manager. I genuinely think he was presented with the vision, the possibly decade long project to get Villa amongst the world's top clubs and stay there. And Unai was the man they wanted to do it.

Incidentally I also think this is why Poch bottled it early - too big a job and responsibility. But that's just my hunch.

Grealish turnaround lesson and contract conditions aside, I simply don't see Unai going anywhere in the short or mid term. There is a path before him, a well thought out, incredibly well funded and fully backed path.

He's ours. 

Edited by Stevo71
  • Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 05:52, Pinebro said:

It all started with stripping Pursow off footballing decisions and eventually kicking him out 

Key decision in our rise 

On 22/04/2024 at 05:54, HeroesAndVillans said:

Decisions like that are often looked back on as what is called a butterfly effect I believe. 

When this wonderful period in our history is all said and done I think people will be pointing to that whole series of events.

Yeah, but ... V

On 22/04/2024 at 07:45, Don_Simon said:

Praise the lord Purslow was empowered with the footballing decision of appointing Deano.

I think you could argue more that the butterfly effect started with hiring Purslow, rather than firing him.

He helped get us to the PL stage. Reached his limits.  Then we pushed on with Monchi and Emery.

But really key to all of it though is our owners.  And one of those owners is extremely good friends with Emery. And Emery is a man that values respect. He isn't going to leave without the blessing of Nas or until he feels he cant acheieve anymore. Neither of those things will be dictated by the club that is trying to sign him. A huge part of the reason he joined was Nas, he'll be a huge part of the reason he won't leave. 

This job will be one of Emery's longer reigns, whether thats the full 4 years or maybe 3 and a half who knows, it could well be even longer.   The club respect him and give him what he wants, we fans adore him and appreciate what he's done and he knows this, and he lives by his motto of continuous improvement. He didn't leave his last job until he felt he could achieve no more. The same will be true this time.

Stop worrying people, the last 30 years were a blip, we're back.

• Like 2

Emery is going nowhere, not anytime soon anyway.  Rangnick is now favorite for the Bayern job, I suspect he'll be a stop gap for a year our two and then try for Alonso again or maybe Klopp after he's had a break.

• Like 1

Everyone wetting the bed! 😀

Let's not worry about things we can't control and enjoy what we have. Don Unai is here. He's not said he wants to challenge himself at another club. Lets also look at the facts;

1. He left Sevilla for PSG. I don't think he'd have left Sevilla for many other clubs. PSG were on the rise then with an unlimited budget. Arguably he'd taken Sevilla as far as anybody could in the modern game.

2. PSG threw him under the bus. He won the domestic trophies yet they still sacked him. I don't imagine he looks back at working for them very fondly.

3. He joined Arsenal after Wenger who also threw him under a bus. He was cruelly mocked by all yet was exceptional given the budget and players he had.

4. At Villarreal he turned down Newcastle. He joined us because we've given him the chance to build the club in his image, his way.

5. We're supporting him in all aspects. He's got the management, coaching, and scouting team he wants. The club is growing, and getting more successful.

Edited by Jonesy7211
typo
  • Like 4

Â