Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Sometimes I wonder how we've ended up with a manager like this. And then I remember, he's the calibre of manager we should have always had.

And my brother was telling me "you've got ideas above your station" when we sacked Gerrard. And that we are a "mid table club". All thanks to talksport I'd imagine. 

Emery is one of the best things to ever happen to this club. I'm lucky to be witnessing this club transform and I firmly believe that he will bring home a haul of trophies for us. He, and the players he works with, gives me enough confidence to say that.

What a privilege.

It all started with stripping Pursow off footballing decisions and eventually kicking him out 

Key decision in our rise 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pinebro said:

It all started with stripping Pursow off footballing decisions and eventually kicking him out 

Key decision in our rise 

Decisions like that are often looked back on as what is called a butterfly effect I believe. 

When this wonderful period in our history is all said and done I think people will be pointing to that whole series of events.

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

For years we have picked up and coming managers who we have elevated to being our manager.  Emery is the first time, since MON/big Ron that we have picked a manager who is above our standing.

From now on let that be a lesson learnt, the manager is easily the most important person at the club. Break the bank amd get the right one, otherwise your building on sand. 

I almost feel like, when it came to appointing managers before, we had a bit of an inferiority complex? Lol. But seeing us throw our weight around and acting the way a club of our stature should has been fantastic. Aston Villa Football Club should never be appointing inexperienced managers who want to come here to "learn their trade".

As you put it the lesson has been learned. When Unai does go someday, appoint someone with a stellar CV instead of an inexperienced 40 year old that all the twitter armchair analysts love.

I do believe that Unai will leave us in the position to appoint another world class manager, or he will at least be a reminder that we can and should be doing that.

5 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

I almost feel like, when it came to appointing managers before, we had a bit of an inferiority complex? Lol. But seeing us throw our weight around and acting the way a club of our stature should has been fantastic. Aston Villa Football Club should never be appointing inexperienced managers who want to come here to "learn their trade".

As you put it the lesson has been learned. When Unai does go someday, appoint someone with a stellar CV instead of an inexperienced 40 year old that all the twitter armchair analysts love.

I do believe that Unai will leave us in the position to appoint another world class manager, or he will at least be a reminder that we can and should be doing that.

I would want Emery to help pick his replacement, can't see it happening for a least 2 more seasons though but we have to be "prepared"

I truly believe we will challenge at the very top next season, we wasn't far away this season and had injuries all over the pitch and Emery hasn't really brought in many players. 2 or 3 signings and we're there or there about, truly remarkable. 

• Like 2

Make the most of Emery.... when a big club like Man United come in for him, he'll be gone..... says every pundit wanking themselves silly over so called big clubs....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

I would want Emery to help pick his replacement, can't see it happening for a least 2 more seasons though but we have to be "prepared"

I truly believe we will challenge at the very top next season, we wasn't far away this season and had injuries all over the pitch and Emery hasn't really brought in many players. 2 or 3 signings and we're there or there about, truly remarkable. 

I agree with you! Never thought I'd be saying it, but with a great summer our club could be title challengers... Feels so weird saying it, can't believe we used to employ the likes of Micah Richards and now we are here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Surely if we manage to win the ECL and get CL then this manager has to be a shoe - in for Moty. Whatever our outcome, he has been phenomenal!

Not even a shoe in, he should be MOTY period. Genius. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think he may well stay as long as Klopp has for Liiverpool. He's not going to get the same autonomy at many other clubs. That's the big factor, imo, which will keep him here.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

I'm confident that when he stops being our manager that he'll pick his successor and we'll happily let him move upstairs onto the board of directors where he rightly deserves to be after being manager.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I'm confident that when he stops being our manager that he'll pick his successor and we'll happily let him move upstairs onto the board of directors where he rightly deserves to be after being manager.

That is the dream. I think we're all fantasising about a 10/15/20 year reign glittered with trophies, aren't we?

I really don't see him going anywhere, I really do see him as our very own Diego Simeone, who will be here for years  don't think he gets what he has at Villa at any other club, Man is a footballing genius, oh & Wes & Sawiris new contract for Emery please end of season 👍 god its great being a Villa fan at the moment 🙌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Key decision in our rise 

Praise the lord Purslow was empowered with the footballing decision of appointing Deano.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Sometimes I wonder how we've ended up with a manager like this. And then I remember, he's the calibre of manager we should have always had.

And my brother was telling me "you've got ideas above your station" when we sacked Gerrard. And that we are a "mid table club". All thanks to talksport I'd imagine. 

Emery is one of the best things to ever happen to this club. I'm lucky to be witnessing this club transform and I firmly believe that he will bring home a haul of trophies for us. He, and the players he works with, gives me enough confidence to say that.

What a privilege.

I’m also a believer in managers being the right fit for the club. Right time right place kind of thing. 

Doesn’t do justice to the obvious hard work that is involved though. It’s why Emery won’t be going to United or likely going anywhere at all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’m also a believer in managers being the right fit for the club. Right time right place kind of thing. 

Doesn’t do justice to the obvious hard work that is involved though. It’s why Emery won’t be going to United or likely going anywhere at all. 

I don't think he'll be off anywhere. He has the power here that he obviously lacked at Arsenal, he is allowed to run the club as he sees fit and it is working. He had his fingers burned before, I'd like to think he'll stick around. He's got a genuine chance to build a legacy with us and go down as a Villa legend. 

He's surely rich enough to go "right, I'm doing well here. They love me, it's going great and I could go down as a hero. Extra £££ from United won't mean much to me, a man in my position in the long run". Managers can work into their 70s, so unlike players money doesn't HAVE to drive everything once you're at the top I'd assume. 

We are going places whereas United et al are living off past glories that mean less and less as time goes on, as well as being propped up as "still a major player in the league" by the likes of Sky.

58 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think he may well stay as long as Klopp has for Liiverpool. He's not going to get the same autonomy at many other clubs. That's the big factor, imo, which will keep him here.

I hope you are right. I see a manager who is working at 110% for the club to be successful,  he's away from Spain and his family, living to work. I think he's clever enough to know he can't keep that intensity up indefinitely. If we continue our current trajectory then next season we challenge for the top and have a decent run in the CL. Season after, same again. I think at that point he's achieved what he set out to do, establish us at the top.....

This guy is a once in a lifetime occurrence, he's a truly outstanding manager, if I was a fan of any other team I would be fascinated by his success, as a fan of villa I'm awestruck by it. He is giving us an opportunity to break into the top 4, (we're lucky with timing as well, other clubs are fading) and maybe an outside chance at the very top. 

Once he's gone we need to continue what he started, we need to be building a team in the background that understands football and how it should be coached and managed and what managers offer us that skill set.

What we don't want to happen is what has happened in the past with both Doug Ellis, Randy Lerner and Purslow picking managers without having a clue (because they like them) 

29 minutes ago, tinker said:

I hope you are right. I see a manager who is working at 110% for the club to be successful,  he's away from Spain and his family, living to work. I think he's clever enough to know he can't keep that intensity up indefinitely. If we continue our current trajectory then next season we challenge for the top and have a decent run in the CL. Season after, same again. I think at that point he's achieved what he set out to do, establish us at the top.....

This guy is a once in a lifetime occurrence, he's a truly outstanding manager, if I was a fan of any other team I would be fascinated by his success, as a fan of villa I'm awestruck by it. He is giving us an opportunity to break into the top 4, (we're lucky with timing as well, other clubs are fading) and maybe an outside chance at the very top. 

Once he's gone we need to continue what he started, we need to be building a team in the background that understands football and how it should be coached and managed and what managers offer us that skill set.

What we don't want to happen is what has happened in the past with both Doug Ellis, Randy Lerner and Purslow picking managers without having a clue (because they like them) 

I think he can keep up the intensity forever tbh. I doubt he was any less meticulous elsewhere in his career, and it’s clear he absolutely loves his work.

He’s also got his family here too, no? I don’t think Lander is playing for our youth team on talent alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

I don't think he'll be off anywhere. He has the power here that he obviously lacked at Arsenal, he is allowed to run the club as he sees fit and it is working. He had his fingers burned before, I'd like to think he'll stick around. He's got a genuine chance to build a legacy with us and go down as a Villa legend. 

He will stay unless offered the Barca or Real Madrid job. Think that's what Guillherm Ballague said that in a podcast a few months ago. 

• Like 1

Â