Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Gary Neville praising Emery

Neville was talking up Emery even when he was Arsenal manager. There is a clip of him back at that time basically calling Carragher an idiot for suggesting Emery was not very good as Arsenal manager. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The culture of playing out from the back that he has instilled continues to amaze me.

We have never ever played like that as consistently as we do now.

We've had spells, but as soon as we're under the cosh it goes out the window.

Yesterday we just point blank refused to stray away from that tactic of playing out from the back. Under huge pressure at times, we stuck to it rigidly and it paid off massively.
Players like Pau, Tielemans and Martinez are key to that.

Yeah balls of steel to stick with it after Half Time. I've wanted us to play like that for years, but after the first half yesterday I thought we needed to change it, we were constantly pegged back, we looked like a catastrophic error could happen at any minute.

Then after half time, we just carried on, but with more focus, more confidence and looked a different team despite continuing to play the same way.

Emery is a genius

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The culture of playing out from the back that he has instilled continues to amaze me.

Yesterday we just point blank refused to stray away from that tactic of playing out from the back. Under huge pressure at times, we stuck to it rigidly and it paid off massively.

Bang on. It was eye-watering at times. And the commentary team simply didn't mention it which, even if just from a causal football fan observation never mind paid professionals, I found bewildering. It was spectacular at times. Clearly so far off script it couldn't be processed by Drury & Neville. 

I love how he has made us all consider what sort of character we would be if we were married to him, some are rather aggressive offering blow jobs and others are just passive like I'll lie down and he can do what he wants. 

• Haha 4

How well he manages the squad is just night and day different from how we capitulated under MON

He's just world class

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

He barely mentioned us

There’s a whole 2 or 3 minute section about how good Emery is and was in this game. It’s a decent analysis. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

How well he manages the squad is just night and day different from how we capitulated under MON

He's just world class

Yeah this is the thing that has impressed me so much this season. Last season it was the tactics and coaching, but this it’s been remarkable the way he’s handled injuries and suspensions. We have a proper injury crisis, competing on two fronts, and the dent in our form has been relatively small.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

What's also amazing is the team spirit he's instilled. Not in the sense of cheerleading the players and making them feel good (a la Bruce) but in the way every player knows their role.

Bailey today, starts on the bench. No huff, knows he's a key player, comes on at 60 minutes and scores. He's loving life.

No prima donnas, no attitudes, just every player in the squad knowing their role, and performing it to a high standard.

Zaniolo the same. He could have sulked; instead he talks up Emery in the press, gets his chance today and puts in a MOTM performance.

I've never seen anything like it.

I remember the Irish Rugby coach (I think) a couple of years back being asked why he'd dropped a player.

His response was that he hadn't been dropped, his role had changed. The game had changed to mean that players coming off the bench are just as important as those that start and it shouldn't be seen as a hierarchy as such.

I wonder if that's the kind of culture Emery is instilling in the team. Starting on the bench doesn't necessarily mean you're worse than the players who start. It just means for this particular game your skills are valued differently. It's a tactical choice, it's not based on ability

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember the Irish Rugby coach (I think) a couple of years back being asked why he'd dropped a player.

His response was that he hadn't been dropped, his role had changed. The game had changed to mean that players coming off the bench are just as important as those that start and it shouldn't be seen as a hierarchy as such.

I wonder if that's the kind of culture Emery is instilling in the team. Starting on the bench doesn't necessarily mean you're worse than the players who start. It just means for this particular game your skills are valued differently. It's a tactical choice, it's not based on ability

Expect to see more of it next season when we've got a full compliment of central defenders, for instance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yet he’s instilled it almost instantly. 

Â