Unai Emery

PeterSw

3 hours ago, av1 said:

I know this might seem a bit reactionary to the brilliance this man has produced, but would anyone be upset if we did a Pardew and gave him a stupidly long contract? 

I know I bloody wouldn’t. 

Its already the longest contract we've put in place at 4.5years apparently. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s done amazingly well. I know many are saying that even if we hit a bad run now they won’t mind because we have already surpassed expectations, but I there is a danger that is shortsighted.

We need a positive end to the season, and some momentum going into the start of next season so we can hit the ground running. I’m confident our manager will make sure we do. 

Football has a lot of recency bias, and our last 5 games are tough (on paper at least). We need to win the next 2 and then make sure we pick up at least 7 points from the last 5 games so that we end the season with our tails relatively up as we there is a danger that some of the “bigger” teams will be sniffing around quite a few of our players in the summer.

I think we will all feel very different if we don’t pick up many points in this run in. A good end to the season strengthens the manager’s hand when trying to convince players about the project…

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

He’s done amazingly well. I know many are saying that even if we hit a bad run now they won’t mind because we have already surpassed expectations, but I there is a danger that is shortsighted.

We need a positive end to the season, and some momentum going into the start of next season so we can hit the ground running. I’m confident our manager will make sure we do. 

Football has a lot of recency bias, and our last 5 games are tough (on paper at least). We need to win the next 2 and then make sure we pick up at least 7 points from the last 5 games so that we end the season with our tails relatively up as we there is a danger that some of the “bigger” teams will be sniffing around quite a few of our players in the summer.

I think we will all feel very different if we don’t pick up many points in this run in. A good end to the season strengthens the manager’s hand when trying to convince players about the project…

I know what you are saying BUT i am going to tbrow something out there.  Until yesterday we hadnt been playing brilliantly despite our wins. I think what we were doing is following the plan from our manager  which meant that even if we weren't on fire we were doing the fundementals that over his distinguished career has led to a 55% win rate. 

Yesterday was when it all came together tactically and form wise.  If we are in a purple patch then yesterday was the start of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think it's strange how little attention he and Villa has got in the media, BBC or SKY Sports haven't written much at all except the usual pre game articles and reports after the games. When we end up in forth place they will.

Two reasons for this I suspect: Villa aren't a very fashionable club compared to say, the traditional top 6 and Newcastle, nor are we newly promoted. But also, I think Emery is still seen as a bit of a joke by many out there after his time at Arsenal (even though he wasn't that bad there).

One of the best things is putting the curses and habits behind us.

No longer do I think after a win then we trip up on the ‘should win’ struggling opponent; or going ahead early and knowing we will still concede and likely lose; or failing against 10 men; or falling apart if we have injuries etc etc.

Amazingly we haven’t missed our then best player, Kamara, nor Bailey, or Ings leaving, you wonder how they and Carlos will get back in. What is shows is the value of coaching, drills and tactics on players not regarded as top tier - we are in title contender form not just champions league form, with a very thin and makeshift team. Emery is a genius.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

You remember a couple of months back - that stilted, awkward passage of trying to play out from the back - Emi Martinez to Konsa under pressure, over to Mings and banged upfield, Emi Martinez to Kamara or Luiz, under pressure down the centre, facing our own goal, inviting trouble, Emi Martinez lofting balls out to the full back, sometimes over his head, Luiz and Kamara coming back and looking left and right to find someone, anyone that might have space..you remember that right?

You remember we kept trying it, even though it was awkward, even though it occasionally went wrong, even though the players looked peculiar and a bit confused, you remember the crowd getting antsy, you remember the stress, the worry of it.

Wax on; wax off.

And suddenly we're slick, we have purpose and patience and time and space and we're calm and controlled and efficient and clean.

To have the balls to come into this league, with these players, under the pressure of our league position and force them into learning this, to force us, the supporters into learning this and to then be proved so obviously right is an incredible bit of mental strength and self confidence by this manager.

These players will believe in anything he tells them from now on - they'll do it even though they don't know why they're doing it - and they'll trust he'll be right.

Paint the fence.

Love it, love it, love it.

They'll trust him with their lives. 

They weren't told to just do it better. They were specifically told, this isn't working because of XYZ. If you do this as well as ABC, it will work.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Love it, love it, love it.

They'll trust him with their lives. 

They weren't told to just do an it better. They were specifically told, this isn't working because of XYZ. If you do this as well as ABC, it will work.

What a refreshing change to have a manager that goes into detail of why things aren't working and what can be done to improve, instead of just "we need more PASHUN"

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Terrific article/interview with Unai. Gives a great insight to the man himself and his values.

This is well worth reading.

Non-negotiables with Unai Emery - "Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are the only players I'd sign who don't share my values!"

We sat down with the Aston Villa manager to discuss the key coaching values and philosophies he won’t compromise on and how they influence his management style.

Great interview. Who wouldn't want to play for this bloke? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ccfcman said:

It's a stereotype but, he is Basque. They're made different.

It's true. I've met a few Basque lads (played football with one, and music with a couple of others), and they were all a bit mad, in a good way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

Two reasons for this I suspect: Villa aren't a very fashionable club compared to say, the traditional top 6 and Newcastle, nor are we newly promoted. But also, I think Emery is still seen as a bit of a joke by many out there after his time at Arsenal (even though he wasn't that bad there).

Long may he continue to be considered a joke by the media we all know what he is about and must importantly so do the players. Interesting though looking through the Newcastle forum a fair few of them had a lot of respect for the gaffer

19 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Emery Cam has dropped

His reaction when Buendia played the ball into the middle of the pitch during the build up to the third 🤣.  Buendia missed whoever it was aimed at, but there was so much space it didn't matter,  either of our players could have got to it, and thankfully McGinn did.

Love him.

Â