Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We will match his wages he'll be offered anywhere else and he will get the keys to running the club exactly how he likes. I'd like to think he will be here a long time, the sooner we get into Europe the better though. 

I think that bit is the most important thing to him. 

There aren’t many bigger projects in Europe were he will be given complete control, and I think that appeals to him. He knows that success or failure is down to his choices (not those of others) and he loves that. 

10 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We will match his wages he'll be offered anywhere else and he will get the keys to running the club exactly how he likes. I'd like to think he will be here a long time, the sooner we get into Europe the better though. 

That bit in n bold. I guarantee that is exactly how this club is run now. Purslow, Lange and co March to the beat of his drum. Even if it's a club targeted player, Unai says no we won't sign them. It's being moulded around his image now. You don't bring Unai Emery into a club facing relegation and not let him influence every aspect of the club.

Aston Villa is his first truly backed yet not externally badly influenced project. We may as make him chairman, CEO.

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

That bit in n bold. I guarantee that is exactly how this club is run now. Purslow, Lange and co March to the beat of his drum. Even if it's a club targeted player, Unai says no we won't sign them. It's being moulded around his image now. You don't bring Unai Emery into a club facing relegation and not let him influence every aspect of the club.

Aston Villa is his first truly backed yet not externally badly influenced project. We may as make him chairman, CEO.

And unlike the last guy we gave totally free reign to, this one actually properly knows his stuff and isn't stuck in the 80s.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I like boxing a lot and the similarities exist in coaching a fighter through a fight and a footballer through a game. Gerrard is similar to the boxing coach who’ll tell his fighter when the fight is getting away from him stuff like “ you’ve worked so hard for this, you want it more than he does, do it for your kids “ kinda waffle whereas Emery is like the boxing coach who’ll tell his fighter when he’s losing “ you are reaching with your jab, keep your left foot outside his right, feint the jab and throw the left hook “ I don’t care what sportspeople are paid. All are responsive to good coaching and detail. 

Brilliant analogy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I like boxing a lot and the similarities exist in coaching a fighter through a fight and a footballer through a game. Gerrard is similar to the boxing coach who’ll tell his fighter when the fight is getting away from him stuff like “ you’ve worked so hard for this, you want it more than he does, do it for your kids “ kinda waffle whereas Emery is like the boxing coach who’ll tell his fighter when he’s losing “ you are reaching with your jab, keep your left foot outside his right, feint the jab and throw the left hook “ I don’t care what sportspeople are paid. All are responsive to good coaching and detail. 

Yep totally. Soundbites don't work at this elite level any more. MON wouldnt work even in his prime any more as tactically he would be outclassed. 

And using the boxing analogies... yesterday was Joe Calzaghe vs Jeff Lacy. Outclassed first kick till last

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yep totally. Soundbites don't work at this elite level any more. MON wouldnt work even in his prime any more as tactically he would be outclassed. 

And using the boxing analogies... yesterday was Joe Calzaghe vs Jeff Lacy. Outclassed first kick till last

Similar to Munster rugby in the early to mid noughties. Nobody could live with their passion, ferocity and spirit. Now, everyone brings that and they’ve nothing left really. If that’s all your bringing now then your in trouble because everyone is bringing that - it’s bare minimum. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You remember a couple of months back - that stilted, awkward passage of trying to play out from the back - Emi Martinez to Konsa under pressure, over to Mings and banged upfield, Emi Martinez to Kamara or Luiz, under pressure down the centre, facing our own goal, inviting trouble, Emi Martinez lofting balls out to the full back, sometimes over his head, Luiz and Kamara coming back and looking left and right to find someone, anyone that might have space..you remember that right?

You remember we kept trying it, even though it was awkward, even though it occasionally went wrong, even though the players looked peculiar and a bit confused, you remember the crowd getting antsy, you remember the stress, the worry of it.

Wax on; wax off.

And suddenly we're slick, we have purpose and patience and time and space and we're calm and controlled and efficient and clean.

To have the balls to come into this league, with these players, under the pressure of our league position and force them into learning this, to force us, the supporters into learning this and to then be proved so obviously right is an incredible bit of mental strength and self confidence by this manager.

These players will believe in anything he tells them from now on - they'll do it even though they don't know why they're doing it - and they'll trust he'll be right.

Paint the fence.

Best post about us i have seen. Spot on mate.  The balls on the man to introduce it are humongous.   First half i saw something i had never seen before. Ty around the centre circle, gets the ball off Dougie i thing and then rather than a pass to the left or pass back he just prodded it with the outside of his left foot about 5 yards but totally took 2 of their players out of commission.  It was brand new and i loved it. Simple but brilliant at the same time. 

We are like one of those High school sports movies. When it clicks and they win 37 games in a row and win the state championship .. 

Yesterday was all the stuff Emery and the coaches have been working towards. And it was quicker.  All of a sudden we were explosive and not ponderous. We have learned at 3/4 pace and then we have upped the tempo it seems.

• Like 2

Where do you think we’d be if we hadn’t got Emery, but instead had gotten Poch or that Amorim fella we were linked with?

I’ll admit, I had wanted Poch as my first choice. I think we’d be doing okay under him, but not a chance we’d be in 6th.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Where do you think we’d be if we hadn’t got Emery, but instead had gotten Poch or that Amorim fella we were linked with?

I’ll admit, I had wanted Poch as my first choice. I think we’d be doing okay under him, but not a chance we’d be in 6th.

I wanted Amorim as it was a different name, or Emery.

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I've been reading up a lot about what happened at Arsenal, and I think it tells you why (PSG aside), Unai has preferred to go to teams with potential, but which are lower in the league. It seems to me to be entirely about players mentality.

Players under him seem to respond in one of two ways to his leadership. You either buy into the micro management, or you reject it. At Arsenal, by all accounts he had players openly mocking it. Big egos who didn't react well to being told exactly where to go and what to do. Whilst I understand it to some degree, it's important for the players to understand that he doesn't do it because he does not trust them, he does it because he's building a functioning machine, where each part is important. 

Players who he's managed tend either to hate him or love him (Guendouzi in particular says incredibly positive things about him), and form strong bonds. 

For this reason I am now thinking that even with the War Chest (TM) , we'll be very selective in recruitment, and it will be more focused on mentality than individual skill. 

Bring it on......but its not one or the other, its both.....but I accept your point, mentality is crucial.

We had exactly that in the late 70's /early 80's.....so us old 'uns have seen it before.

I see traits of this man in that era.

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You remember a couple of months back - that stilted, awkward passage of trying to play out from the back - Emi Martinez to Konsa under pressure, over to Mings and banged upfield, Emi Martinez to Kamara or Luiz, under pressure down the centre, facing our own goal, inviting trouble, Emi Martinez lofting balls out to the full back, sometimes over his head, Luiz and Kamara coming back and looking left and right to find someone, anyone that might have space..you remember that right?

You remember we kept trying it, even though it was awkward, even though it occasionally went wrong, even though the players looked peculiar and a bit confused, you remember the crowd getting antsy, you remember the stress, the worry of it.

Wax on; wax off.

And suddenly we're slick, we have purpose and patience and time and space and we're calm and controlled and efficient and clean.

To have the balls to come into this league, with these players, under the pressure of our league position and force them into learning this, to force us, the supporters into learning this and to then be proved so obviously right is an incredible bit of mental strength and self confidence by this manager.

These players will believe in anything he tells them from now on - they'll do it even though they don't know why they're doing it - and they'll trust he'll be right.

Paint the fence.

I've just seen Tyrone Mings running across the M42, Dodging the cars.

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I wanted Pochettino too.

I reckon we’d have picked up, we’d be doing well. Not as well as we are though.

And those opposition supporters saying “He’s doing well at Villa - I reckon he’ll be at X next season”. That would be happening ten fold with Pochettino and links to Spurs right now. 

And I’d be more inclined to worry that him leaving was a distinct possibility.

I don’t have any fears of that with Emery.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wax on; wax off.

Paint the fence.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952gi8wsfg2xqbjvfidsm

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

He came in and trimmed our already thin squad

imagine what he would have to do at Chelsea to get a functioning and workable group of players! It would be a massacre

Don Unai took a scalpel to our squad. He'd have to use a machete on theirs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, av1 said:

I know this might seem a bit reactionary to the brilliance this man has produced, but would anyone be upset if we did a Pardew and gave him a stupidly long contract? 

I know I bloody wouldn’t. 

Its already the longest contract we've put in place at 4.5years apparently. 

Â