Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His English is good it’s more the accent that makes it difficult to understand him at times. It’s been said this is was one of the reasons he struggled at Arsenal as players didn’t understand his instructions but I find this hard to believe.

well, they understood him well enough to go on a 22 game unbeaten streak.

I'll take some of that! 😆

• Like 2

As someone who was in a 5 and half relationship with someone who is half Spanish, half Venezuelan, grew up in Venezuela and met Spanish and English speaking non-spanish born people I can say that the People born in Spain find English harder than those living outside Spain speak when I speak to them.

We come together. Te amo mi Unai!

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i really hope we do well with Emery, he seems like a good guy who loves the game, is intelligent and is a real tactician.

I think i have been too burnt over the years to be excessively positive, but if someone like Emery cant bring us on, i dont think its a manager problem that the club has.

Said similar the other day. But if we are still struggling over the next few months, it’s 100% the playing staff that need to be criticised rather than Emery. (Unless he does something really silly, such as play Coutinho in goal or something) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

As someone who was in a 5 and half relationship with someone who is half Spanish, half Venezuelan and grew up in Venezuela and has met Spanish and English speaking non-spanish born people I can say that the People born in Spain find English harder than those living outside Spain speak when I speak to them.

We come together. The amo mi Unai!

That and the fact basque is his first language it would have been the language he grew up speaking daily with family and friends ect. Fluent in Spanish obviously.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His English is good it’s more the accent that makes it difficult to understand him at times. It’s been said this is was one of the reasons he struggled at Arsenal as players didn’t understand his instructions but I find this hard to believe.

helps that we have a shit load of spanish speakers at the club too

imagine he speaks decent french from his time at PSG as well

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

helps that we have a shit load of spanish speakers at the club too

imagine he speaks decent french from his time at PSG as well

His home town is on the French border, he probably spoke as much French as Spanish when younger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

One of my favourite bits of this is him talking about the passion Nas showed when talking to him. I don’t know if it’s due to past failures with the club but there’s always the doubt in the back of your head that the owners might lose interest in the project. The speed of the appointment and Nas taking control is very exciting. 

• Like 1

Really like Unai ,he’s quality and will expect the squad to step up and I don’t think hel be shy to let the slackers know about it !. Nas had the ace up his sleeve with this one ! Right fit right time 🤩 , UTV

• Like 1

I think his English is very decent indeed. It’s very lazy of some fans, media and even players to beat him about a language barrier (Arsenal days) but in truth we’ve seen many coaches come to this country who hardly speak a word of English (Bielsa springs to mind) and do well.

Its really exciting that we’ve got him and to now see what he can do over the course of this season and beyond. Already seems very likeable also.

Edited by ferguson1

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I think his English is very decent indeed. It’s very lazy of some fans, media and even players to beat him about a language barrier (Arsenal days) but in truth we’ve many coaches come to this country and hardly speak a word of English (Bielsa springs to mind).

Its really exciting that we’ve got him and to now see what he can do over the course of this season and beyond. 

We've had coaches in the past who were difficult to understand. I could rarely decipher anything that came out of Lambert's mouth - and English is his first language.

• Haha 1

This really encouraged me… I’m looking forward to him getting a lot more out of these players. I believe the talent is there, they just need proper coaching, educating, motivation and inspiration… winning games will bring confidence and belief too. There’s no doubt that this squad has been underperforming and underachieving… additions will be made and we will get better but a lot can be improved in the meantime…starting with the way we play and having more intelligence in games…

He appears to be a genuine and likeable personality that will connect with and try to understand the players (while educating and improving them) and try to get the best out of them… rather than just a strict disciplinarian or big ego who would harshly treat or sideline individuals without good reasoning…

Hopefully, the atmosphere and spirit within the squad will improve quite quickly… could be refreshing for the players…

It’s an exciting and encouraging time… probably hasn’t quite sunk in that we’ve got him and actually have a top class manager here now…

• Like 2

Â