Unai Emery

PeterSw

I really hope the players buy in to his ideas and philosophy. For so long players are the ones with all the power but I hope there’s a slight shift here? Emery needs time of course but most of all the support of everyone.

Sunday can’t come quick enough.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Not sure what your point is but I've just got back from the pub and I understood every word he said. No better or worse than Arteta. 

A few beers before training and the boys will be fine. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

if someone like Emery cant bring us on, i dont think its a manager problem that the club has.

You are right. If Unai can't improve things then the club needs shutting down! 

Loved his interview.  I think he was convincing on why Villa and the "project" excited him.  It sounded like he "got" what the club is about and also where it could be.  But the three most exciting words for me where "attacking the spaces".  IF he can get our attacking players doing this (and yes I am particularly talking about Ollie) then this could make a huge difference.  I think we find it hard to create / convert chances because our attackers are a bit prone to wait for the ball to arrive rather than to gamble and attack a space where the ball might go.  Haaland is absolutely brilliant at the latter - he has an incredible knack of drifting away from his marker and finding space so that if / when the ball gets there he has time and space to stick it in the back of the net.  If we can get our forward players to do more of that then hopefully our midfield will have more options and we can stop the "pump the ball down the channel" or the stupid "cross field floaty ball" that immediately puts the receiver under pressure if the ball even reaches them.  For me it felt that this is something that Unai has already spotted as being an issue from the matches / videos he has watched.  If so then I am also hoping that he's picked up on the other issues like not tracking back, everyone heading into the same part of the pitch, etc that have haunted our play for the best part of 2 seasons.  I think he gets it - so now we will find out whether the players do too.  A few of them will have no excuses left soon - you can't play poorly under three different coaches and expect to be absolved of blame.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Unless you’re fluent in a second language, you do not have a leg to stand on to be commenting on his English skills. For some reason being born in the UK seems to give an automatic sense of entitlement.

Doesn't work like that though. Its like saying if you have never played professional football, you have no leg to stand on when talking about our players.

I think his English is fine, I had to concentrate a little bit but he's probably a bit rusty with his English. 

• Like 1

Jesus Christ. His English is good, not perfect. But perfectly conversational in speaking with players and 1-1 coaching.

What I care about is how he reads the game and how he sets up the team. The language of football is universal (cringe) and that's what we are paying him for. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Unless you’re fluent in a second language, you do not have a leg to stand on to be commenting on his English skills. For some reason being born in the UK seems to give an automatic sense of entitlement.

Absolutely spot on.  I thought his interview was excellent - he expressed himself very clearly and those times when he found he couldn't recall the right word immediately, he quickly found a way of explaining it another way.  I really hope that we don't permit any more stupid chants or comments on this forum "mocking" his accent.  It makes us look like idiots and it is likely to alienate the (on paper) best coach we have had for a very, very long time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Doesn't work like that though. Its like saying if you have never played professional football, you have no leg to stand on when talking about our players.

I think his English is fine, I had to concentrate a little bit but he's probably a bit rusty with his English. 

Not really.  Comments like "good ebening" or "aston billa" are stupid and ignorant.  Especially as most of the people who say them would probably (generalisation) struggle to say anything in another language.  People can comment about their concerns about whether he will have issues effectively presenting his thoughts in another language - that's fine.  But the "mocking" is nothing short of ignorant and should be stamped out.  That type of "humour" should have died in the 1970s (or a long time before that).

• Like 3

I think the fact he has the fans support and patience is a big thing.  We all know it could take time for things to massively improve but we also know he has the pedigree to back up that he is capable of improving us. Getting VP rocking on a regular basis could really help the team.

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Seeing the training pics/videos, it’s like watching a conductor of an orchestra. So refreshing to see a tracksuit coach, actually coaching/mentoring etc. 

spacer.png

For the record I was too young to play this ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

It really does work like that. Your example makes little sense imo. 

English people are the absolute worst for judging peoples ability to speak English (as a foreign language) whilst at the same time they're going abroad and barely being able to pronounce 'Hola'.

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 2

Â