Unai Emery

PeterSw

Also have to remember that he was previously immersed in London when learning English. I doubt "apples and pears", "dog and bone" and "me old China" appeared much in his English textbooks*.

Very confusing for the fella.

*Am aware arsenal aren't technically cockneys. Leave me alone

• Haha 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am pleased he has now arrived and hopefully he will do a good job. I just hope we are patient enough to give  him time as he has arrived at a time in which we are close to the bottom 3 with a couple of tricky games to go before the world cup break. It is another step change in management from the last regime so it is going to take a bit of time for the players to adjust yet again. That has been picked up in several articles I have read but really what was the alternative for Villa? We couldn't keep Gerrard on after Fulham and I have never seen anyone else play his slow plodding football with no width and we couldn't keep this on for continuity's sake or we would be relegated.

There is no time to be had, if you mean losing games and giving time, its not going to happen.

Naturally, there will be Short term, medium term and Long term goals.......but to stay in this division, he has to find enough wins to keep us there.

Managers in situations like this, have to make time, for themselves, and that means securing enough points to keep the wolf from the door.

I wish him well, but I am not expecting too much prior to the January window.....just batten down the hatches, is my suspicion.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He still does that V/B thing - "Aston Billa". 

He always, always will. That’s how he has sounded a ‘v’ in his language his whole life and the neural networks in our brains rarely adapt to new sounds even if we are fluent. Same as the average French person will never really pronounce the difference between ship and sheep without significant effort, or even how English people just say ‘Loch’ the same as ‘lock’. All this to say: don’t expect him to ever just say ‘Villa’ because he has practiced more.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I mean, there's nothing funny about it 😐 

I'm not trying to win here. I'm pointing out, again, using extreme language is pretty boring. Some will find it funny. Some won't. Some won't give a shit either way. YOU don't find it funny, which naturally doesn't mean "there's nothing funny about it".

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He always, always will. That’s how he has sounded a ‘v’ in his language his whole life and the neural networks in our brains rarely adapt to new sounds even if we are fluent. Same as the average French person will never really pronounce the difference between ship and sheep without significant effort, or even how English people just say ‘Loch’ the same as ‘lock’. All this to say: don’t expect him to ever just say ‘Villa’ because he has practiced more.

At University we had a economics professor who was from Chad. He was a borderline genius, spoke something laughable like 9 languages. 

Whenever he referenced a balance sheet he could never, despite his best efforts, stop it from sounding like s**t. He ended up just conceding and calling it a 'Bee stroke Ess' 🤣

If he can't change his pronunciation of syllables, no one is. 

52 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Also have to remember that he was previously immersed in London when learning English. I doubt "apples and pears", "dog and bone" and "me old China" appeared much in his English textbooks*.

Very confusing for the fella.

*Am aware arsenal aren't technically cockneys. Leave me alone

When I worked for Titan Books in London in 1996 one of the lads in the design studio (a Spurrrsssss fan) had such a thick Laaandaannn accent even the other london lads had a hard time understanding what he said. And I used to work with a lad from Walsall whose black country accent was so thick and he spoke so fast you needed an intepreter to understand even the odd word.

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

130pm according to OS, I'll be watching. And I still want him to wear massive ears and say its just bants, just for that prick Lineker

Whilst munching on a farcically big bag of Walkers. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I'm not trying to win here. I'm pointing out, again, using extreme language is pretty boring. Some will find it funny. Some won't. Some won't give a shit either way. YOU don't find it funny, which naturally doesn't mean "there's nothing funny about it".

In general you might be right, but in this case there is literally nothing funny about it. See also Mrs Brown’s Boys.

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

In general you might be right, but in this case there is literally nothing funny about it. See also Mrs Brown’s Boys.

That is not for you to deicide for others, as painful as that insight might be for you all. My personal opinion is that it's painfully unfunny, but not much point in me trying to force my tastes onto others. It's just a futile. 

Â