Unai Emery

PeterSw

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

When do we start worrying about someone coming in and taking him from us, as is Villa Talk tradition?

The fact he turned down Newcastle to stay at Villareal shows he wants to take a team as far as he can before moving jobs. I think he'll get constant investment from the owners and try get us a trophy and into the Champions League. Remember soon there will usually be 5 places in the CL

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Good morning villatalk

What a beautiful morning 

The milky white glow of the sky. Light glittering in illuminated puddles and flickering through the light drizzle which nourishes life and keeps this land green and verdant. 

A truly truly wonderful morning. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is Unai Emery Villa's most technically proficient head coach since Jimmy Hogan?

Discuss

If you don't know who Jimmy Hogan is, google him. 

This guys brother? 😉

IMG_1568.webp

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I've been reading up a lot about what happened at Arsenal, and I think it tells you why (PSG aside), Unai has preferred to go to teams with potential, but which are lower in the league. It seems to me to be entirely about players mentality.

Players under him seem to respond in one of two ways to his leadership. You either buy into the micro management, or you reject it. At Arsenal, by all accounts he had players openly mocking it. Big egos who didn't react well to being told exactly where to go and what to do. Whilst I understand it to some degree, it's important for the players to understand that he doesn't do it because he does not trust them, he does it because he's building a functioning machine, where each part is important. 

Players who he's managed tend either to hate him or love him (Guendouzi in particular says incredibly positive things about him), and form strong bonds. 

For this reason I am now thinking that even with the War Chest (TM) , we'll be very selective in recruitment, and it will be more focused on mentality than individual skill. 

“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts”

It’s why we are currently much better than Chelsea or Spurs. They have great individual players, but we’re a team.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Oh right...well that's as bad as the Super league proposal then if a team finishing 11th can just leapfrog better league performers based on winning a cup 3-4 years ago.

I think it is only based on the current season, they were initially going to base it on 5 year coefficient, but think it got too much push back.

I mean, the power and the money of the Premier League ought to see us have 5 spots every year.  We ought to be dominating, but we really don't do we.  Obviously still enough to get the slot by the looks of it but it really should be total domination in Europe. 

Amazed at The Netherlands though? Assume they've done well in the lesser European cups? 

People say Chelsea won't have such a bad season again next year, I'm really not sure, they look awful and they surely can't go out and spend another £200m again can they? FFP has to catch up.

And I'm not sure about Liverpool either.  They've got SO many players to be replaced and don't seem to have the cash or the will. 

5th place next season is a real possibility next season with Emery at the helm for a full season and with some backing.   

We've got the best manager out of any of those teams and owners prepared to back him. The world is our lobster. 

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

For a minute yesterday I worried that maybe Chelsea would come in for him but would he even go there? Doubt he'd want to work under that mess.

I doubt it tbh. I very much suspect that Nas has given Emery a lot of freedom in terms of recruitment and a general say in what goes on at the club. He wouldn't get that at many clubs and it appears to be an environment that Emery thrives in. I genuinely don't see him leaving for a good few years yet, or at least until a time where it feels like this project has "failed".

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

For a minute yesterday I worried that maybe Chelsea would come in for him but would he even go there? Doubt he'd want to work under that mess.

He came in and trimmed our already thin squad

imagine what he would have to do at Chelsea to get a functioning and workable group of players! It would be a massacre

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â