Match Thread: Leeds v Villa

limpid

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This is every bit as bad as the Southampton game. A better team would have scored at least 2 against us by now.

Sorry Stevie, but what exactly is the style of football that you’re trying to implement at Villa? We are going backwards.

Emi hasn't had a shot to save.  I think you are watching this with the exact opposite of claret glasses.  We've been by far the team more likely to score.  With a good striker we could be 2 or 3 up.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

We've pretty much nullified Leeds (I don't remember a chance they've had?  Could be wrong), created 3 very good chances - probably should've done better in finishing - and have battled in the game.

This is exactly the sort of match I was dreading - a pressing side, full of energy is exactly what we struggle against.  But this has been OK.  We've handled them well.

I'd say the game is in the mud, no real quality from either side with them every bit as likely to score as us even though our chances were actual shots on target whereas there's was a missed tap in and a suspicious looking foul

Could go either way this one and if we're the wrong side of it we'd have no place to complain

The ability to pass a football and keep a football in general is really poor all round

Just now, nick76 said:

Fair dues that you are enjoying this, I could walk down the road to the local pitch and watch a better quality game.  It’s hard to watch for me.

100%. It’s non league quality.

1 minute ago, allani said:

Emi hasn't had a shot to save.  I think you are watching this with the exact opposite of claret glasses.  We've been by far the team more likely to score.  With a good striker we could be 2 or 3 up.

Did you miss the 2 excellent opportunities for Rodrigo?

With a good striker they could be 2 up themselves.

I’m happy to accept that I’m probably being too harsh on us, but we’re still **** shit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We've pretty much nullified Leeds (I don't remember a chance they've had?  Could be wrong), created 3 very good chances - probably should've done better in finishing - and have battled in the game.

This is exactly the sort of match I was dreading - a pressing side, full of energy is exactly what we struggle against.  But this has been OK.  We've handled them well.

If this what the game has become - if this is what passes for a good battling performance now - I'd really be questioning the wisdom of fools like us who invest real time and money into this stuff.

Is this really good? Because it's certainly not **** enjoyable.

(And before you say it, yes, I might indeed go and do something else with my day.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

we seem to have given up on possession football of any kind, it's just hoof it and hope

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

According to the stats we've made 72 passes in the half. Surely that can't be right. That's abysmal. 

This is the worry when Gerrard comes out with his 'pretty football can wait' comments.

Strangely, it's not even a choice of pretty or ugly.  

It appears he's abandoned any sort of passing when what he really means be tighter defensively. 

Wow are we absolutely shit. We used to play front foot football until this clearing in the woods turned up. Bailey absolutely abysmal. Positives - Luiz and Young. Mings played decent as well. Coutinho anonymous. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

PS - For clarity I don't think our general play has been very good - but we've had three or four moments of quality that created chances that we could have done better with.  But suggesting that we should be 2-0 down is ridiculous.

We've resorted to 90% long ball.

Ugly game, ugly tactics and just zero quality. Not one corner from the right yet, I fear that's our only hope of scoring direct from a corner.

Bailey has not been good but neither has big phil, watkins, konsa, mccginn.

Keep a flat back 4 and 2 up if we are long balling it and swap big phil for emi b. 

I cant see us suddenly remembering how to play decent football so that's pretty much all we have.