January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

this window for me

from a business point of view....great...some money off the books...gets rid of some big earners.

But from a football view....very risky...smaller squad and relying on everyone staying fit and in the striker position....i.e Watkins....banging more goals than he has done before

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

this window for me

from a business point of view....great...some money off the books...gets rid of some big earners.

But from a football view....very risky...smaller squad and relying on everyone staying fit and in the striker position....i.e Watkins....banging more goals than he has done before

I don't think we will be a team that relies on one player scoring all the goals.  At Villarreal last season, Danjuma and Moreno were the top scorers, but the midfielders all chipped in with goals.

By the end of the season, I'd expect Watkins and Bailey to be leading our scoring charts, with Ramsey, Buendia and Luiz etc. chipping in with goals.

We won't be relaying on just Watkins.

• Like 2

Happy with the outgoings. Apart from Sanson, whom I have seen enough of, the rest aren't good enough.

As far as incomings, the lack of a striker and creative midfielder and a left winger mean it was unsatisfactolry. However the return of Traore, who I think is a useful player (but ultimately not good enough if we want to be a European qualifier) alieviates the shortage of forwards somewhat.

As many have said it's better to not sign anyone then sign the wrong players, so I can only assume the players we wanted weren't gettable this Jan, in which case the prudent choice was not sign anyone.

I still think we can make an assault on the European place, as long as we are lucky with injuries, and VAR! However we are definitely outsiders in that race.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Happy with the outgoings. Apart from Sanson, whom I have seen enough of, the rest aren't good enough.

As far as incomings, the lack of a striker and creative midfielder and a left winger mean it was unsatisfactolry. However the return of Traore, who I think is a useful player (but ultimately not good enough if we want to be a European qualifier) alieviates the shortage of forwards somewhat.

As many have said it's better to not sign anyone then sign the wrong players, so I can only assume the players we wanted weren't gettable this Jan, in which case the prudent choice was not sign anyone.

I still think we can make an assault on the European place, as long as we are lucky with injuries, and VAR! However we are definitely outsiders in that race.

I'm happy with the outgoings too 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

34 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

I'm happy with the outgoings too 

No need to shout about it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

VAR will probably do us more harm than a lunatic with a chainsaw in the first team dressing room.  But I share and admire your optimism. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

He’ll be left proper screwed with his poxy £175,000,000 stinking the place out. 

Think it was more the idea that Portuguese Ronaldo would need a visa to live in europe

But you're also right, for as much as they might talk it up a man with £175m in his bank is not going to struggle in the UK either 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

its been reported in some quarters, we didn't make a concrete bid for, Guendouzi, so I think a lot of Jourrno BS has been thriving, during January.

I don't know what the true intentions of the club, was....so its no good speculating, either ways.

On 02/02/2023 at 09:59, Bazmonkey said:

this window for me

Watkins is a 1 goal in 3 player, even when he was played out wide. If he can get 6-8 goals in the remainder of the season, with others chipping in as has been happening since Emery joined - we'll be doing great. 

People (not necessarily you) forget that although Ings had 6 goals in the PL this season - 2 were penalties. 

As you say - staying fit is key. 

• Like 1