January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Whilst I think it would have been great to see us splash the cash and get a world class wide forward/winger and a striker I don't think it's so bad we didn't. It's clear that Emery has looked at the squad and worked very hard to get players out the door who aren't going to help him achieve what he wants to do. We've got some very talented young players coming through so I'm not worried about the second half of the season. 

So Delefeou was very close to going to spurs and Marseille have said they recieved no bids for Ghendouzi. 

I get the feeling that the plan was always to not do much this window. I think it was all about clearing the wage bill in preparation for the summer. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

So Delefeou was very close to going to spurs and Marseille have said they recieved no bids for Ghendouzi. 

I get the feeling that the plan was always to not do much this window. I think it was all about clearing the wage bill in preparation for the summer. 

We were definitely interested in both IMO.

The whole "receiving bids" thing is disingenuous. Transfers move through agents. Agents that go club to club as well as agents for the players.

We'll have floated interest, then mentioned a few figures. Say, £40m? Marseille say, nah £70m please. We might have gone back again, but when they don't budge move on.

Deulofeu may have ended up at Spurs ahead of us if he hadn't got injured.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We were definitely interested in both IMO.

The whole "receiving bids" thing is disingenuous. Transfers move through agents. Agents that go club to club as well as agents for the players.

We'll have floated interest, then mentioned a few figures. Say, £40m? Marseille say, nah £70m please. We might have gone back again, but when they don't budge move on.

Deulofeu may have ended up at Spurs ahead of us if he hadn't got injured.

Maybe they weren’t our main targets.  

I’m starting to believe that maybe we had interest but seeing as we didn’t advance interest Guendouzi, was he really our main target.  

Don’t know who else but maybe somebody like Merino was our main target or somebody else and if werent able to advance that deal, we decided not to go for second choice in Guendouzi.  (Second choice doesn’t mean worse, just Emery prefers them maybe).

Just a guess for debate but we are assuming that Guendouzi was number one target when he might not have been.  

It did seem if we wanted Guendouzi we could’ve got him if we paid a desired fee…why didn’t we if he was our top target? It even sounds like we didn’t really make any proper contact.  I can’t imagine the fee will be lower in the summer for him.

Maybe the same with Deulofeu, where we really wanted Williams.  

Anyway, I’m not saying we weren’t interested but maybe they weren’t our top targets so we decided to wait…maybe we’ll know more after the summer window when we see our targets and transfers then.

Edited by nick76

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m starting to believe that maybe we had interest but seeing as we didn’t advance interest Guendouzi, was he really our main target.  

Don’t know who else but maybe somebody like Merino was our main target or somebody else and if werent able to advance that deal, we decided not to go for second choice in Guendouzi.  (Second choice doesn’t mean worse, just Emery prefers them maybe).

Just a guess for debate but we are assuming that Guendouzi was number one target when he might not have been.  

It did seem if we wanted Guendouzi we could’ve got him if we paid a desired fee…why didn’t we if he was our top target? It even sounds like we didn’t really make any proper contact.  I can’t imagine the fee will be lower in the summer for him.

Anyway, I’m not saying we weren’t interested but maybe they weren’t our top targets so we decided to wait…maybe we’ll know more after the summer window when we see our targets and transfers then.

We weren’t willing to pay the fee for Guendouzi. Seems pretty simple for me.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Was there even a genuine link to Merino?

Wouldn't be one that made sense, unless we wanted to move Dougie forward. Possible that's the plan, but he's flying right now. Getting someone in for a spot we aren't they strong in makes more sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Sounds like we didn’t even know what the fee was.  It’s all speculation so who knows, it doesn’t matter now because it didn’t happen.  I’m just speculating because we have no idea really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't be one that made sense, unless we wanted to move Dougie forward. Possible that's the plan, but he's flying right now. Getting someone in for a spot we aren't they strong in makes more sense to me.

I just said Merino because it was a name I remember us being linked with.  It was just an example of another name.  

I’m just surprised if we did want Guendouzi why there wasn’t more negotiation so trying to think why.  

If it’s purely because we did get a fee from Marseille and it was way too high then surely the fee in the summer will likely be the same so Guendouzi won’t be coming then either.  

If it wasn’t that much higher than we were willing to pay then we would’ve heard more of negotiations and we didn’t.  

Either way it doesn’t look like Guendouzi will be a Villa player by the end of the summer window.  

I was just speculating, if it was the latter in that, then maybe Guendouzi wasn’t our top target and we decided to wait until the summer to get our top target.  

We know we are very secret about our transfer business so it may have been a name we were linked with or not.

It doesn’t matter either way…

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I also think Guendouzi fee will be lower in the summer as Marseille dont want to sell mid season

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m just surprised if we did want Guendouzi why there wasn’t more negotiation so trying to think why.  

If it’s purely because we did get a fee from Marseille and it was way too high then surely the fee in the summer will likely be the same so Guendouzi won’t be coming then either. 

I do agree with this.

Maybe we'd be willing to spend more in the summer, but it would be strange. Guendouzi is really really good, but I don't think he's the only player we could get who would fill that role.

I hope we have more targets than "players Emery likes". Fingers crossed Duran can really impress and convince Emery more clubs targets are worth looking at. If, of course, there are any...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I also think Guendouzi fee will be lower in the summer as Marseille dont want to sell mid season

Why would it be lower if they qualify for the Champions League? Or even if they don't.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We triggered the 65m euro release clause according to this link

Unai Emery conoce a la perfección a la Real y el potencial de sus jugadores, staff técnico y director deportivo. Quizá por eso el Aston Villa también está muy interesado en contratar a Mikel Merino, tal y como adelantó MD Gipuzkoa el pasado 25 de noviembre. Es más, según una información de Kike Marín en ‘El Confidencial’, el navarro también rechazó fichar por el club de la Premier, que estaba dispuesto a abonar ahora los 65 millones de euros de su cláusula invernal. La prensa inglesa informa ahora de que el club inglés que irá a por Merino es el Liverpool, pero en el mercado de verano.

Sociedad being in a CL position may help explain the rejection.