January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Every signing is a gamble and there's no reason we can't continue Emery form with current squad unless [insert doom and gloom hypothetical] happens. 

Exactly.

Danny Ings was the most proven premier league signing we've made in a decade and it didn't work out. 

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That’s the point. If he only cared about money he’d be the Newcastle manager right now.

But he said, he liked our Project.

If the project matches his expectations....we will find out in due course.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Nothing to shout about, when Bretford, Fulham and Brighton are above us.

Nobody is shouting about it. I just posted it to counter your misinformation 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Ok. To be fair, I’m not reallllyyy that fussed about Emery’s reasons for joining or the money he’s earning though, that all went a bit off track. What I want to know is, why are people so sure that we will spend our money in the summer?

A lot of people were adamant we would support Emery this window… but we haven’t, really…  and let’s be honest, it has been a bit shit… right? 

Well then there's no point asking the question. Because as it was said, he didn't leave Villareal to come and scrape by spending peanuts at a bottom half team. But if you're going to ignore that then you clearly only want to accept an answer that confirms your current view. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If only it was that easy. 

It's crazy to me to get that annoyed about not over spending and signing 2nd choice players to gamble on getting top 6 with 18 games to go. 

Because you can't honestly believe we had top targets lined up and just refused to pay reasonable fees or just told Unai no. 

I think it’s easy to forget just how much these transfers cost. Some player for 25m on a 4.5 year deal is the club signing up to spend 50m more or less.

You have to make good bets or you end up in trouble.

• Like 1

Julian Warren is sinfully the most boring, wooden man alive. He’s going to take over from Stelling on soccer saturday and watching this transfer deadline night on sky is the equivalent of been made go to church Sunday morning when you were young. He’s no Jim White .

1 minute ago, TRO said:

But he said, he liked our Project.

If the project matches his expectations....we will find out in due course.

What have the owners done since being here to make you think they'd appoint an elite manager based on a lie, then screw said manager over the first chance they get just 2 months later?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Nothing to shout about, when Bretford, Fulham and Brighton are above us.

Also serious question, long term, which of those teams would you expect to do better than us?

Anyone can have a good half a season. Do you really expect any of those teams to build on this long term and end up a better team than us?

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

If only it was that easy. 

It's crazy to me to get that annoyed about not over spending and signing 2nd choice players to gamble on getting top 6 with 18 games to go. 

Because you can't honestly believe we had top targets lined up and just refused to pay reasonable fees or just told Unai no. 

It's common sense.  A team in European competition with more money whose form and position give  the impression they are genuine challengers will be more attractive and able to pay for better players than a mid-table team.  It's not a gamble if the recruitment team do their jobs and the right players are brought in.  It is way more of a gamble to let your top scorer go and not replace him.   

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly.

Danny Ings was the most proven premier league signing we've made in a decade and it didn't work out. 

For me it's not about statement signings, just numbers.

Our forward options now are: Watkins, Bailey, Duran, Traore, Buendia.

Duran is raw and hasn't even played since November given that's when MLS packed up. Traore is coming back injured just like last season so who knows when he'll be ready to make a squad. Can play Bailey as CF but some games it just won't work.

We need some decent options off the bench as plenty of games the first 11 won't work, Wolves at home was classic example and subs got us back in it. Beyond changing the full backs and perhaps putting a regular midfielder on it's pretty limited if we're 1-0 down with 25 minutes left.

Crazy pressure on Duran if that's the scenario on Saturday.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Get the bed sheets out. Get the £ signs out. It's a disgrace. 

Guess I wish I had lower expectations like you. You've been happy with midtable, I what more, nothing wrong with that.

After many years, we now have a top manager, why not do some proper business now and push on, you never know with Emery, we might finish in those magic places, an if we did, we will then be able to attract bigger names to push on in the 23/24 season.

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So you think he's here for a high wage? 

I mean there's not much point discussing anything if this is your opinion. 

Well he's not here for the weather is he. Of course the wage played a massive part in him being here. Loved and revered in his previous job, I doubt he woke up one morning with a plan to take on Project Villa. 

• Confused 1

Just now, El Segundo said:

It's common sense.  A team in European competition with more money whose form and position give  the impression they are genuine challengers will be more attractive and able to pay for better players than a mid-table team.  It's not a gamble if the recruitment team do their jobs and the right players are brought in.  It is way more of a gamble to let your top scorer go and not replace him.   

So you think it is easy to get into the top 6?

And you didn't respond to my 2nd point. Do you think we've refused to pay reasonable fees and told Unai no. 

Do you think we'd get top 6 by overpaying or signing 2nd/3rd choice players?

The gamble is if we don't make Europe, we've then got a bunch of players that need replacing taking up big wages. Why would we want to be in that mess again?

Or, we can accept what this season was always going to be. Appreciate the work the manager has done. Clear the deadwood, spend a season analysing the current squad and aim to progress next season with a strong summer transfer window. 

If by September 1st, our squad still looks like this, I'll join you in the moaning. 

Just now, Dillon66 said:

Well he's not here for the weather is he. Of course the wage played a massive part in him being here. Loved and revered in his previous job, I doubt he woke up one morning with a plan to take on Project Villa. 

So you think he's here just for money?

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly.

We haven't been in the top half of the Prem for 13 years, so its no wonder, we haven't been able to attract many proven goal scorers.

I'm definitely.looking forward to seeing what Emery can do with the existing players over the 2nd half of the season. 

And then there's provisional space still to see how Archer  Ramsay A and Tim do when they come back from loans

Edited by Rodders

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Guess I wish I had lower expectations like you. You've been happy with midtable, I what more, nothing wrong with that.

After many years, we now have a top manager, why not do some proper business now and push on, you never know with Emery, we might finish in those magic places, an if we did, we will then be able to attract bigger names to push on in the 23/24 season.

You can want more. You just moan that it doesn't happen in your time frame. That's the stupid part. 

I've got high hopes Unai gets us back into that top 7. I think it's crazy to cry that it isn't happening right now. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

You can want more. You just moan that it doesn't happen in your time frame. That's the stupid part. 

I've got high hopes Unai gets us back into that top 7. I think it's crazy to cry that it isn't happening right now. 

What do the kids say nowadays..

Cry more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1