January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, Made In Aston said:

On a positive, MON finished 6th using about 13 players in a whole season. We don't have any cups games, so it's still doable. Most of the players shifted were not contributing and doesn't make any difference whether they are here or not. 

I think 8th would be the best possible finish if we can't get Europa league. Conference league will get in the way of league fixtures IMO.

I think we can cause some trouble to the top 4 next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Maybe Emery doesn’t rate him? The last thing we need is another Sanson, Nakamba situation.  

This is what people fail to realise. Players don’t sign 18 game contracts, unless they’re loans. We’re finally planning for the future with an elite manager. Mistakes we may make now and have made in the past, will and are affecting us for years.

We’ve haven’t been in a stronger position for years. Let’s not go back to zero with short term thinking based on a fairly small chance to get into a fairly rubbish European competition. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Getting rid of players now means we can go into the summer without being restricted on who we can sign. 

I think we’ve seen the prices this month and either gotten our ducks in a row with the summer then spend an extra £20m or so on particular targets now than say in the summer. We shall see. Luckily, there’s a lot more to play with in terms of wages and places for the summer which is more important for the long term. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is what people fail to realise. Players don’t sign 18 game contracts, unless they’re loans. We’re finally planning for the future with an elite manager. Mistakes we may make now and have made in the past, will and are affecting us for years.

We’ve haven’t been in a stronger position for years. Let’s not go back to zero with short term thinking based on a fairly small chance to get into a fairly rubbish European competition. 

I think people get that, but it's also true that we're lacking players for certain positions and that it would be great if we managed to find a couple that Emery definitely wanted. One doesn't cancel out the other.

• Like 3

I’m still hoping for something today. I can understand that it’s difficult doing business in January and I’m pretty sure it’s not from a lack of trying.

It’s just a shame we can’t add some quality for the rest of the season. Like others have said Liverpool and Chelsea are having a poor season, the league is close and we could be challenging for Europe.

This is the transfer thread, can people start posting dodgy transfer links please so we can at least spend today with false hope of signings, it is deadline day after all.

All the broken record conversations can carry on tomorrow 😂

I trust Unai’s judgement and the way he has moved some deadwood out is brilliant but I do worry slightly we are down to our bare minimum and at this stage nobody looks to be coming in and what if we have a couple of injuries?

Just hope we have a few suprises by the end of today.

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Fbref too. See

image.png.d09574f9a87700e65d029c887507800b.png

This is their stats in the league this season.

The stat you're looking at is for the last 365 days and it includes the european competitions as well. 

Why would you not look at the past 365?

Just now, Herman22 said:

I think we are lucky we got Unai when we did. He has taken us away from a relegation fight (and the need to sign players in this window) so we can finish off the season as strongly as possible and make the major signings over the summer for a proper push next season. 

This. 

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think we are lucky we got Unai when we did. He has taken us away from a relegation fight (and the need to sign players in this window) so we can finish off the season as strongly as possible and make the major signings over the summer for a proper push next season. 

This x2

23 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

On a positive, MON finished 6th using about 13 players in a whole season. We don't have any cups games, so it's still doable. Most of the players shifted were not contributing and doesn't make any difference whether they are here or not. 

MON did that at a time when top three or four was very achievable - in other words he fell short. This season top 6 is very achievable when you look at recent form and the fact we're only 3 points off it. It looks very much to me like a massive opportunity that we really should be going all out for.  The higher we finish, the more prize money we get, the more we are able to attract better players, the more income we generate next season if in Europe.   

The players shifted were not contributing much, correct, but who's to say they won't be missed if injuries and suspensions mount up?  Letting players go without replacing them now is a risk.  People can "trust in Emery" all they want, but he has no control over injuries and suspensions.     

• Like 1

Just now, El Segundo said:

MON did that at a time when top three or four was very achievable - in other words he fell short. This season top 6 is very achievable when you look at recent form and the fact we're only 3 points off it. It looks very much to me like a massive opportunity that we really should be going all out for.  The higher we finish, the more prize money we get, the more we are able to attract better players, the more income we generate next season if in Europe.   

The players shifted were not contributing much, correct, but who's to say they won't be missed if injuries and suspensions mount up?  Letting players go without replacing them now is a risk.  People can "trust in Emery" all they want, but he has no control over injuries and suspensions.     

This. I'm not saying Emery isn't elite, but he can only work with the tools he has. If there were 5 or even 10 games left, then the complexion of this issue changes immensely, and I would not have any doubt that this is the right move. As it is I think we're flying way too close to the sun here. Unless the next 14 hours is astonishing. 

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why would you not look at the past 365?

Personal preference and force of habit. The 365 days thing combines stats from different competitions, parts of different seasons and in cases like Gallaher even playing time at different clubs together and it all just feels a bit messy to me. It was even worse back in the day because it would also include international games.

And for the percentiles, it compares players across all 5 top leagues and the european competition which is different to if its just comparing to players in the same league and season. I'm not comfortable interpreting them as much as if its just in a single season of a single competition. Being the 90th percentile in the league in a stat isn't the same as being the 90th percentile compared to players from all top 5 leagues and european competitions.

Plus, some leagues generally just have higher stats in certain areas compared to other leagues so a ranking of players who are playing who are playing in different leagues can lead to misleading results. A player playing in ligue 1 is playing against different types and levels of opponents compared to a player playing in the premier league. They are straight up not even facing the same opponents whatsoever so ranking these players stats against each other doesn't seem right.

I'd rather look at a players stats season by season or competition by competition. So in this case instead of looking at 365 days, I would look at his stats for the 22/23 season and the 21/22 season separately.

Edited by Laughable Chimp