January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

14 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The squad we have will get us through this season, we're not ready for European football. Finish 8th-12th and job done. 

I never got this argument. Not ready for European football. 

We will only be ready if we get the bodies in at required quality after we qualified for Europe. 

Sure, it's an extra tight schedule, but that's what the transfer windows are for.

This team can easily make a trip to Hungary, France and Poland on an off Thursday. We then have replays at Villa Park which brings a lot of revenue in to get funds for a better team and better sponsorship deals. 

Get 3-4 high quality players in to our current squad in the summer, get some of our kids in the mix, and we play 6 fixtures (or more if we do well, which means we were in fact ready).

I don't mind if we play the kids and lose to Stoke in the league cup 3rd round. As long as the team goes forward, and that is European football. 

Also if we get Europa League it's a guaranteed win with Emery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

Will be a massive missed opportunity if we don't strengthen this window when we are in touching distance of the top 6.

I don't buy into this line of "it's only 18 games left, we'll make do" It's half a season FFS. 

Get token rubbish January signings? No thanks

1 minute ago, jim said:

Will be a massive missed opportunity if we don't strengthen this window when we are in touching distance of the top 6.

I don't buy into this line of "it's only 18 games left, we'll make do" It's half a season FFS. 

Problem being what if no one we want is available?

• Like 1

Seems like we are not the only fans that would be disappointed if we don’t sign anyone. Other than Chelsea fans and some of the teams below us, quite a few teams fans seem to be annoyed with their teams business. Even Arsenal fans right now are wanting Edu out despite being top of the league, because they are close to signing Jorginho. 

4 minutes ago, jim said:

I can’t help but feel the same way, I think it’s probably made worse by selling ings. A lot of hope being placed on Duran hitting the ground running. I wouldn’t be surprised if our targets just weren’t possible this month though 

55 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah, he will. It's a team game and goals are shared around - he is a tremendous foil for the players around him and he plays a major part in our system. He's going nowhere.

I disagree completely  -apart from the leaving part

No one is automatically starting under emery if they dont perform 

Edited by Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The squad we have will get us through this season, we're not ready for European football. Finish 8th-12th and job done. 

I think 8th and good performances would be the best all round result.

It would show potential players that we are on the trajectory to Europe, but give us time over the next window/season to build up a squad capable of actually challenging on multiple fronts and not implode.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Seems like we are not the only fans that would be disappointed if we don’t sign anyone. Other than Chelsea fans and some of the teams below us, quite a few teams fans seem to be annoyed with their teams business. Even Arsenal fans right now are wanting Edu out despite being top of the league, because they are close to signing Jorginho. 

I think a lot of people (not just our fans) just like the thrill and excitement of a new signing, all hyped up by Sky of course.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Newcastle loan bid for Luiz turned down £5m now plus £20m in the summer. I don't know if that's true.

Poppycock, less than we turned down when he had an expiring contract. 

Can’t be Dougie, must be another Luiz that is being referred to. Imagine offering £25m when he has recently signed a multi year contract extension and when you have just paid £45m for Gordon. 🤣

Edited by Tayls

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Get token rubbish January signings? No thanks

And who is suggesting that is what we should do?  Precisely no-one that I can see.  If the players we want aren't gettable now, then the risk could have been reduced by keeping hold of the likes of Ings, Archer, and Sanson until we were sure we had replacements.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1