January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/first-team/wilfried-zaha-opens-up-on-foundation-roots-to-ivory-coast-and-relationship-with-stormzy/2022-05-30/

Wilfried Zaha has revealed his desire to make a difference during his playing career, as he spoke openly about the impact his charitable foundation has made around the world.

“Since I started playing when I got a proper, decent contract I’ve been giving 10% of my wages back [to charity],” he explained. “My sister has got an orphanage but I kind of take care of it, so it comes under the umbrella of my foundation.

For all the “Zaha is a melt” brigade. 

Zaha is a shithouse on the pitch but gives back to the community off the pitch.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/first-team/wilfried-zaha-opens-up-on-foundation-roots-to-ivory-coast-and-relationship-with-stormzy/2022-05-30/

He's likeable in interviews.

42 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

true , but on the pitch sure he’s a Representative for Wellingborough (something we lack on the pitch) but he gives his all each game it would have been easy for him to become a Ross Barkley or James Rodriguez just picking up a wage but the bloke has been regularly playing over 30 games per season and reaching double digits in goals and assists. 

• Like 4

Zaha is a shithouse on the pitch but a lovely bloke off of it, not too dissimilar from our own Emi Martinez or even Jack before him. Don't understand the opposition to signing him. He'd easily be our best player for one thing. Is it because he's an opposition player and this is just typical football fan hypocrisy of hating a quality in an opposition player but loving it when they play for them? You realize if he signs he'll be our shithouse right?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the Zaha link to Emery feels almost identical to the Ryan Kent link to Gerrard when he was here.

Just poor reporting.

Unless its true, then it isnt 😁

How so?

Kent was a former player under Gerrard, unless I’m missing something I don’t think Emery has managed Zaha?

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How so?

Kent was a former player under Gerrard, unless I’m missing something I don’t think Emery has managed Zaha?

Was a strong rumour he wanted him at Arsenal but Edu signed Pepe instead

Zaha is a full on shit-house on the pitch. Winds me and the opposition right up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it though and it's actually an asset in a way. He also delivers in terms of goals and assists. At 30, he's still got plenty of good years in the tank. His sort of experience and talent would be a great addition to Villa.

I'd be all for it on a 3 and a half year contract.

7 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Zaha is a full on shit-house on the pitch. Winds me and the opposition right up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it though and it's actually an asset in a way. He also delivers in terms of goals and assists. At 30, he's still got plenty of good years in the tank. His sort of experience and talent would be a great addition to Villa.

I'd be all for it on a 3 and a half year contract.

100% with this. 

Imagine him with Bailey behind him (as long as Bailey keeps the form up). 

The opposition would have a serious headache. 

• Like 2

If we do end up signing Zaha I’ll support it I guess (means he’s not scoring against us for a start).

IMHO I think it would be good to sign someone younger but for where we are he’d definitely give us an edge with his goal contributions and shithousery. 

I hope we also look at getting some high potential back up in too, before someone else snaps them up.

I’m talking about the likes of Cherki, Schjelderup, etc

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

If we do end up signing Zaha I’ll support it I guess (means he’s not scoring against us for a start).

IMHO I think it would be good to sign someone younger but for where we are he’d definitely give us an edge with his goal contributions and shithousery. 

I hope we also look at getting some high potential back up in too, before someone else snaps them up.

I’m talking about the likes of Cherki, Schjelderup, etc

Yes, I agree on also looking at younger players with potential higher ceilings. It's just about having a nice balance of experience and youth. It doesn't have to be fully focussed in one direction. Ashley Young, at 37 has shown what having that know how and experience can contribute to games even when he isn't as physically quick or quite at the same core strength as he used to be. 

Hopefully we keep bringing in players from a range of backgrounds and level of experience. 

Variety is the spice of life!

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Zaha is a shithouse on the pitch but a lovely bloke off of it, not too dissimilar from our own Emi Martinez or even Jack before him. Don't understand the opposition to signing him. He'd easily be our best player for one thing. Is it because he's an opposition player and this is just typical football fan hypocrisy of hating a quality in an opposition player but loving it when they play for them? You realize if he signs he'll be our shithouse right?

The only problem I have is that he is 30. He seems to have maintained fitness and doesn't seem too injury prone but I do worry about having too many older players in the squad. If the fee was relatively low then I can see why, on ability, we would want him. Has a ball park transfer fee been mentioned?

• Like 1

Not too worried about the age profile. If we went after Zaha, we’d have a midfield/forward options that probably looked like this:

Watkins - 27
Bailey - 25
Zaha - 30
Ramsey - 22
Kamara - 22
Luiz - 25
Buendia - 25
Coutinho - 30

Hardly an OAP club. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How so?

i mean that when Emery was at Arsenal and they signed Pepe, Emery didnt want Pepe, he wanted Zaha, but Edu and his recruitment team signed Pepe anyway.

I know Zaha/Emery werent at the same club, but i mean that Emery really wanted Zaha at Arsenal, but was overruled and didnt get him, so there is a link in that way and the Journo's are rehashing it (maybe).

Why would Zaha sign for us?  

Yes we are a bigger club and progressive profile but Zaha, lives in London for a team that isn’t significantly different from us league position wise this season or maybe even next season and he’s adored by their fans.  

We aren’t challenging for trophies and Europe is still only a dream for us.  

Apart from wages, which he’s likely getting at Palace anyway why if he hasn’t left Palace before would he leave them at 30 years old when he’s not likely to win trophies with us which surely is why he’d only leave Palace for.

Even aside from whether I believe we should after him with pros and cons, I just don’t understand why he’d come to us unless he doesn’t get on with the manager or wants a new challenge, he seems happy there and I can’t imagine, at this point in his career, that we are a place that gives him what he needs ie trophies.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why would Zaha sign for us?  

Yes we are a bigger club and progressive profile but Zaha, lives in London for a team that isn’t significantly different from us league position wise this season or maybe even next season and he’s adored by their fans.  

We aren’t challenging for trophies and Europe is still only a dream for us.  

Apart from wages, which he’s likely getting at Palace anyway why if he hasn’t left Palace before would he leave them at 30 years old when he’s not likely to win trophies with us which surely is why he’d only leave Palace for.

Even aside from whether I believe we should after him with pros and cons, I just don’t understand why he’d come to us unless he doesn’t get on with the manager or wants a new challenge, he seems happy there and I can’t imagine, at this point in his career, that we are a place that gives him what he needs ie trophies.

Agreed. I think Zaha is a bit of a special case and while usually he would be exactly the type we should be going for I'm not sure I see him leaving for anyone but a top six side. 

Fwiw I think he would be a very good signing. I hate him as much as the next man but its all an act. Just a way he winds himself up to perform at his best and occassionally get the odd opponent sent off. 

• Like 1