Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think the Wolves game despite being the easiest on paper might be our toughest game.

Makes me sick thinking about it. Wolves on the beach ruining our European run-in. 

But Unai won’t forget their draw against us so I hope we beat them 1-0 and have 80 passes between Emi, Mings and Konsa. 

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think the Wolves game despite being the easiest on paper might be our toughest game.

It'll be tough for sure but I would say the trip to Anfield is the toughest. Think Liverpool are just hitting some form

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If Spurs beat United that'll pretty much end our chances of Europe unless Brighton fail to beat Forest

I'm not sure it will mate, I feel it would probably work in our favour if they did beat Manure and take points off them.

On the basis of probability of that happening, it would require us to beat both of them and if we do, we could actually be ahead of them both by the time we do and into 4th spot.

But there are many scenarios between now and then as to what happens with other teams results. As long as we keep winning, the rest would be up to the football gods.

I'm delighted with how this season has played out regardless of how it goes from here, but I do firmly believe in taking chances like this when they're presented to you as you can never take for granted the likes of Chelsea being so disastrously poor again.  As much as I'd rather the points on the board anyway, the games in hand for others coupled with our fixtures still makes it a tough ask but I'd be buzzing with 7th personally and all that takes is either Spurs continuing to plummet or Brighton struggling to cope with their number of games, neither of which are out of the question. Don't get turning your nose up at the Conference League, I think it'd be great.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst even Conference would be great it would be a slightly disappointing if we miss out on 6th by the odd point. It might even come down to the last game! 

Having said that I’m happy with wherever we end now. Been an amazing season. 

7th would be our best position since 2010. It would be a miraculous achievement given what Emery walked into when he took the job on.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, imavillan said:

Seen this on a Villa FB group and thought i'd post it in here.

As tough a run in we have, it's all in our own hands and the teams we have to play will now see us as tough opposition to face.

While Brighton have games in hand they have a tough schedule 

spacer.png

Don’t know if it’s already been done but if we replicated the points return from the same fixtures played earlier in the season we end up with -

Liverpool 66 

Villa 64

Brighton 63

Spurs 60

Obviously, it’s of limited use because of clubs being in different form, fixture congestion, player availability.

Brighton’s reverse fixtures they picked up 4 points from Man Utd and Newcastle. I can’t see that being the case this time round. But it could be argued they will beat Forest and draw to us, making up for that. It’s difficult to see where they can realistically improve elsewhere. 

The same could be said for us of course. But I think we have to more or less match our results (maybe draw with Man Utd and beat Wolves, for instance), Brighton I feel will have to better what they did.

It’ll be close.

As much as I want to air my frustration at Gerrard if he wasn't so bad we might not be in the position we're in now with Emery. What will be will be and any European football would mean we've had an incredible and totally unexpected season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joshharris12 said:

Why ?

Momentum shifter just after they have sacked Stellini and a rebound from the Newcastle humbling. Our chances of ending ahead of them hinges on them getting 1 point from United / Newcastle games

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Momentum shifter just after they have sacked Stellini and a rebound from the Newcastle humbling. Our chances of ending ahead of them hinges on them getting 1 point from United / Newcastle games

Hinges on us beating them more than anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep. Many 'bad' things have happened along the way to put us on this road.

Getting relegated - Incentivised Lerner to sell
Losing playoff final to Fulham - Meant we weren't under Xia and his lack of millions in the Prem, ultimately resulting in an enforced sale - to NSWE.
Letting Glen Whelan take a vital penalty - The straw that broke Steve Bruce's back tenure.
Gerrard being bad at just the right time that Emery wanted to come to England (he said no to Newcastle mere months previously)

I was having a good day until I read all that. The horror. The horror.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep. Many 'bad' things have happened along the way to put us on this road.

Getting relegated - Incentivised Lerner to sell
Losing playoff final to Fulham - Meant we weren't under Xia and his lack of millions in the Prem, ultimately resulting in an enforced sale - to NSWE.
Letting Glen Whelan take a vital penalty - The straw that broke Steve Bruce's back tenure.
Gerrard being bad at just the right time that Emery wanted to come to England (he said no to Newcastle mere months previously)

It's the old Chinese parable of the farmer who lost his horse.

The Fulham defeat was probably my most painful football experience. Took a long time for me to get over that. 

The fact that time showed it to ultimatley be a "good" thing for us taught me a VERY valuable life lesson and one I genuinely find myself thinking about a lot. 

• Like 4

Whilst the table looks amazing, we are realistically 7th/8th given the games in hand of the clubs below us.

To go above us with their games in hand:

Brighton need just 5 points from 12 which is well below their season average

Liverpool need 4 from 6. 

Spurs need 1 from 3.

It's still going to be very, very difficult to get 7th and feel we can't afford to lose a single game now. Europe was always gonna be a stretch and that's not changed.

Can't see us finishing below 8th tho.

Edited by GlobalVillan

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm not sure it will mate, I feel it would probably work in our favour if they did beat Manure and take points off them.

I'd forget about top 4 this season, as its so unlikely given the number of games left. We are in a 5-8 mini league and want as many teams to beat Spurs , Brighton and Liverpool as possible. 

• Like 4

I am just going to guess that we will get 10 points from the next 5 games.  2 pts per game as we have averaged since Emery came in. 20 games is a big enough sample to lay your hat on it . So where does that leave us ?