Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'd forget about top 4 this season, as its so unlikely given the number of games left. We are in a 5-8 mini league and want as many teams to beat Spurs , Brighton and Liverpool as possible. 

Liverpool is a strange one. I think Klopp wants top 4 or nothing, if some results go against them they will probably tail off the last few games

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I am just going to guess that we will get 10 points from the next 5 games.  2 pts per game as we have averaged since Emery came in. 20 games is a big enough sample to lay your hat on it . So where does that leave us ? 

Dreamland

42 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally, I think we will get 7th, with Brighton having so many games to play will affect them. The last game could be a win-for-Europe kind of match. Tasty.

If we are within 3 points of Brighton going into the last game I'd be stunned. Can't see it at all. 

The key to getting 7th is finishing above Spurs.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Liverpool is a strange one. I think Klopp wants top 4 or nothing, if some results go against them they will probably tail off the last few games

I've been saying this the past couple week, if they end up in Europa Conference it will be a complete embarrassment.  If top 4 is out the window, there performances will drop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I am just going to guess that we will get 10 points from the next 5 games.  2 pts per game as we have averaged since Emery came in. 20 games is a big enough sample to lay your hat on it . So where does that leave us ? 

8th I'd guess. Simply because of the games in hand the other clubs have. We need 12 points minimum for Europe I reckon.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I've been saying this the past couple week, if they end up in Europa Conference it will be a complete embarrassment.  If top 4 is out the window, there performances will drop.

My thinking is more Klopp hates playing football matches unless vs the elite and would rather not play than travel Thursday nights to Azerbaijan or Georgia

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Unlikely considering they want to show their strength before a key transfer window for them. And I doubt someone like Klopp would be open to losing games at any time. 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

My thinking is more Klopp hates playing football matches unless vs the elite and would rather not play than travel Thursday nights to Azerbaijan or Georgia

Correct, the fans don't want it either.  They'd take Europa League, but they'd rather finish 8th then 7th I think.

13 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

If we are within 3 points of Brighton going into the last game I'd be stunned. Can't see it at all. 

Prepare to be stunned. They can't score and have to play about a quarter of a season in a month.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Prepare to be stunned. They can't score and have to play about a quarter of a season in a month.

They score loads. I think they’re one of the highest scorers in the league.

Quick check, they’re 6th highest in the league with 54 goals to our 46 and have played 4 less games.

Edited by WallisFrizz

20 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We'll finish above Brighton and Spurs.

8 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

8th I'd guess. Simply because of the games in hand the other clubs have. We need 12 points minimum for Europe I reckon.

I think 10 would be plenty. We'd have to have beaten at least one of Liverpool/Brighton/Spurs and drawn with one at worst to get 10 + Spurs and Liverpool have to play each other.

Beating Spurs is the real key game for me. Then it's in our hands - we just have to match their results to get 7th. (Obvs better than that would also be acceptable!)

19 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Are you taking into account the level of opposition that teams have left, including against one another, and against us?

Brighton alone have Man Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City, and us.

Tottenham have Man Utd, Liverpool, and us.

Liverpool have Tottenham obviously, and us.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Are you taking into account the level of opposition that teams have left, including against one another, and against us?

Brighton alone have Man Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City, and us.

Tottenham have Man Utd, Liverpool, and us.

Liverpool have Tottenham obviously, and us.

Yes. And the fact the we have to go to Old Trafford and Anfield.

I do think we could get 7th above Spurs tho. We need Man United to beat them tomorrow and then we have to make sure we do them at Villa Park but it's possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I can't imagine that. I really can't. Not with the games we have left.

If we assume that Brighton beat Forest tonight, they will then be 2 points behind us.  Their remaining games in hand are against Newcastle, Man U and Man City, who they realistically could get nothing from.   

Just now, duke313 said:

If we assume that Brighton beat Forest tonight, they will then be 2 points behind us.  Their remaining games in hand are against Newcastle, Man U and Man City, who they realistically could get nothing from.   

It doesn't work like that though. You could just as easily call any of their games their "game in hand".

We have to go to Liverpool and Man United so them having 4 games in hand is absolutely huge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It doesn't work like that though. You could just as easily call any of their games their "game in hand".

We have to go to Liverpool and Man United so them having 4 games in hand is absolutely huge.

Eh I just can’t see them getting results of all the games in hand even against weaker opponents. Their bench is as thin as ours and they have to play 5 matches in 15 days.