Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Maybe 8th might not be that bad

I mean if spurs are occupied with conference league they wont be doing much again next season (their fans dont even want to be in that competition again) it gives emery a full season with just domestic to maybe go one better next year.

I think its win win for us

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They are a very good side, but I don't think they'll get any wins from City, Arsenal and Newcastle. So, if they manage to get a draw against one of them, the difference between people predictions of them only getting 2 points from those 4 is a 99th minute winning penalty against United.     

IF and that's IF they only get 1 point from those 3 then that's 4 points and DOUBLE the 2 suggested.

There's something missing here in any case, and that's our own results. I don't think we will win 2 never mind 3 of the last 4. 

We aren't playing that well, have no way to freshen up the side and have 4 really hard fixtures. On top of that we now have to overhaul sides above us.

I just cannot see it.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

IF and that's IF they only get 1 point from those 3 then that's 4 points and DOUBLE the 2 suggested.

There's something missing here in any case, and that's our own results. I don't think we will win 2 never mind 3 of the last 4. 

We aren't playing that well, have no way to freshen up the side and have 4 really hard fixtures. On top of that we now have to overhaul sides above us.

I just cannot see it.

Still not a million miles away from 2 is it, you make it sound like they are going to get 10 points from those 4 games.

You can't see us beating Wolves or Spurs, but can see Brighton beating City and Arsenal 🤣

Think it's Spurs Villa should be aiming for...six or hopefully seven points should see us finish sixth or seventh. Home wins are key now!

Brighton are difficult to predict.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

As it stands, I’ve got Liverpool finishing on 67 with Spurs, Brighton and Villa all ending the season on 61. It’s all still to play for. Even a defeat tomorrow isn’t terminal, although it’s obviously not ideal. If we win the two home games, then we are in with a shout still.

I’d be delighted with 8th. Why I don’t settle for that now is it’s still in our hands to finish higher. Next season we will build even bigger. 

Edited by The_Steve

It's going to be tought to get Europe now, and I think top 6 is going to be a bit too much of an ask. But to even be in the conversation after the start we had under He Who Shall Not Be Named is amazing. I really want Europe, I'd be delighted with the conference. I think conference instead of Europa could be good for us, there;ll be easier games, gives us a hance to see what some of the squad players and youngsters are made o f, and gives us a really decent chance at winning a trophy. But if we finish outside of the European places, I'll be looking on the bright side of us having fewer games next season, and a proper pre season with a proper manager, and seeing what we can do

Im moving into the prefer to finish 8th camp over qualifying for ECL this year.

The more i think about it we could do without all the extra fixtures and i'd like to see us have a real crack at it next season instead.

With the manager we have, smart recruitment and no distractions we could be well in the mix for CL places.

• Like 1

All is still to play for, Brighton is not yet out of the picture that they can't be caught.  If we assume they lose their two games in hand against Newcastle and City, then we only have to match their results in the other 3 games.

We need 6 points from Wolves, Spurs and Liverpool, and if Brighton pick up no more than 6 points from Everton, Arsenal and Southampton.  Then we will be on 60 points and Brighton 61, with a final play-off match between us to decided who finishes above who. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

All is still to play for, Brighton is not yet out of the picture that they can't be caught.  If we assume they lose their two games in hand against Newcastle and City, then we only have to match their results in the other 3 games.

We need 6 points from Wolves, Spurs and Liverpool, and if Brighton pick up no more than 6 points from Everton, Arsenal and Southampton.  Then we will be on 60 points and Brighton 61, with a final play-off match between us to decided who finishes above who. 

I think this is close to what is going to happen. I think they'll get 6 points, though we'll get 5. Same result with us needing to beat them on the last day, but definitely not in the realms of make believe.

Can't forget spurs either, but if we get 3 points against them it makes things a lot easier. 

Looking at our form under Emery there's no reason to think we can't go unbeaten for 4 games spread over 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

To even think about Europe a few weeks ago just shows how are the team and Emry have come and where they have taken us too.

IMO i think..as much as Europe would be a great achievement...more so after where we were in Nov....i dont think we have the squad big enough to cope with the extra fixtures.

We have seen in recent weeks playing sat...midweek....then again a few days later...the team havent looked as sharp.....playing the same first 11 game in game out...apart from the Newcastle game where we have totally dominated we have had to work hard to get results....and we havent played that well in some...even Unai has said we need to be a bit better and more consistent 

It would take serious investment in the summer to sustain both.

We have some tough fixtures coming up....i admire the positivity of some...but wolves are no push over.....apart from Brighton....they are at home and we havent really gone there before and done well....it will be their cup final as the fans will be up for it.

I thought Brighton were brilliant last night...the football is quality and the type of football i would love to see at VP along with some of the players!!!!. 

They fully deserve the rewards they are getting and yes...they have to win the games in hand...but if it was us with the same fixtures you would favour Brighton over us at this time purely because they are more consistent. 

Having said that...there is still something to play for for all the teams...can we do it...heart says yes...head says no...Brentford are not far behind us too.

Its been a great 2023...i will be disappointed without europe a bit having got close...but....the future...the summer looks great...id take a miss...if it meant we get better players in.....and can have a really go next season...be better...better football....better players....and more consistency!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe 8th might not be that bad

I mean if spurs are occupied with conference league they wont be doing much again next season (their fans dont even want to be in that competition again) it gives emery a full season with just domestic to maybe go one better next year.

I think its win win for us

We'll finish above Spurs regardless of what they're in next season. They'll sell Kane (eventually) and their backline has conceded nearly 60 goals this season so even Guardiola as their next manager wouldn't have them finishing 4th next season.

Psychologically though I'd like us to finish above a few teams we haven't done so in decades just to show the squad what is capable if they keep listening and improving under Emery.

We're 99.9999% certain to finish above Chelsea now and haven't been above Spurs since 2009 so these are achievements for us even if those two standards have dropped significantly. 

46 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Im moving into the prefer to finish 8th camp over qualifying for ECL this year.

The more i think about it we could do without all the extra fixtures and i'd like to see us have a real crack at it next season instead.

With the manager we have, smart recruitment and no distractions we could be well in the mix for CL places.

Not for me - I'd much rather be in a European competition, especially one we'd have a great chance of winning.