Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm calls to close the thread, I don’t take to mean they’re only going on about the Europa league. 

Well maybe they are of my persuasion where they would rather finish 8th than play in the conference 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Lose to wolves and I'll join the naysayers - but until then, we are still in the hunt

Agreed lose to wolves it's all over and will do well to finish 8th. Shaw absolute shite mug. Regardless I think Brighton could well be more than 3 ahead of us when we play them. We look completely spent and everyone else looks in better shape

Just now, paul514 said:

Well maybe they are of my persuasion where they would rather finish 8th than play in the conference 

They could well be.

But that doesn’t mean the thread should be closed when 7th and the conference are a possibility.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm calls to close the thread, I don’t take to mean they’re only going on about the Europa league. 

People just spitting dummies out because the ideal scenario is not manifesting. Still all to play for. To fight for.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It's the hope that gets to you. The faintest whiff of success on the horizon makes every game seem a must-win, and taking an interest in other matches.

It is frankly a minor miracle we have even got ourselves to this position to make the run in actually interesting.  7th is still an outside bet.

7th is a very decent bet. 6th is still an outside bet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The Europa league not 7th.

I don't know if it is just me but the thought of being the only english team in the conference league, and the fact we have never played in it makes it exciting to go for it.

Frankly we should be allowed in because Villa Park hosted the last cup winners cup final which this sort of replaces.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

People just spitting dummies out because the ideal scenario is not manifesting. Still all to play for. To fight for.

And ignoring that it's still in our hands

Said earlier in the thread on Saturday I thought  Brighton would win the three home games which would probably kill off top 6 hopes but the last min pen feels like a sucker punch. Gotta hope Everton might be able to scrape a 0-0 or something there on Monday but I can’t see it. 

Just got to focus on matching spurs results now, a loss to wolves the weekend would probably feel like Europe is over but then if Spurs lost to Palace it wouldn’t change so going to have to wait and see. 

Relying on Palace, Brentford and Leeds to nick something, only concern is Palace could be on the beach now they’ve hit the 40 point mark and surely Spurs will want to make up for the last 2 away performances? Brentford might be on the beach by the time that fixture comes round. Didn’t think we’d be relying on Big Sam a week or so ago!

14 minutes ago, birdistheword said:

Brighton beat Everton and Saints. Lose to City, Arsenal and Newcastle.

Vill beat Wolves and Spurs. Lose to Liverpool.

1 point between the two going into the final day. 

It’s how I saw it/see it.

I had Brighton picking up two points from the Manchesters, Arsenal and Saudis. And winning both Everton and Southampton. That would have put them on 60. 

Reconfiguring it, would put them on 62. Which in my view is the highest they can get to and us still catching them. 

So the win, while annoying, hasn’t massively changed what I think we would need to do.  Basically win three of our four - with Brighton being a must win (probably spurs too).

What Brighton do have now is a bit more room for error. It’s not the end of the world for them if they lose to Newcastle because they still have two more of the big games to pick up a point or two. That dynamic only changes IF they drop points to Everton (or Saints).

Ultimately though, we have to win our games for this to remain a consideration for us. 

Regardless, this sure as hell beats spending my time playing out and guessing the various results and permutations at the other end of the table.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s how I saw it/see it.

I had Brighton picking up two points from the Manchesters, Arsenal and Saudis. And winning both Everton and Southampton. That would have put them on 60. 

Reconfiguring it, would put them on 62. Which in my view is the highest they can get to and us still catching them. 

So the win, while annoying, hasn’t massively changed what I think we would need to do.  Basically win three of our four - with Brighton being a must win (probably spurs too).

What Brighton do have now is a bit more room for error. It’s not the end of the world for them if they lose to Newcastle because they still have two more of the big games to pick up a point or two. That dynamic only changes IF they drop points to Everton (or Saints).

Ultimately though, we have to win our games for this to remain a consideration for us. 

Regardless, this sure as hell beats spending my time playing out and guessing the various results and permutations at the other end of the table.

They’re also not as good away from home and that’s where they play Arsenal and Newcastle. 

You’re right though, doesn’t matter if we lose to Spurs and Wolves…

• Like 1

I would be disappointing if the season ended with us losing the remaining four games, that seems to be the view of some here.

I would like us to get as many points as possible, and get as high up the table as possible.

If we end the season on a high it would give the club a lift through the summer, transfer target would be more likely to sign, financial rewards would be higher, it would make fans/players buzzing with expectation for next season.

18 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

I would be disappointing if the season ended with us losing the remaining four games, that seems to be the view of some here.

I would like us to get as many points as possible, and get as high up the table as possible.

If we end the season on a high it would give the club a lift through the summer, transfer target would be more likely to sign, financial rewards would be higher, it would make fans/players buzzing with expectation for next season.

There’s nothing at all to suggest that we will lose the last four games. We’ve lost one game at 11 and everyone is going on like we are the Titanic

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Brighton are just a very good side. The idea they'd collapse now was pretty hopeful. 

I agree, they have been excellent all season and didn't get the respect they deserve on here recently.

I do think Europe will be a step to far next season and it's likely they don't have as decent league form they just don't have the depth and budget to sustain both.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

It's a head to head between us and spurs for 7th. Top 6 is starting to look very difficult to get. 

Whilst not having a great season spurs have a strong side and an easier run in than us, it's going to be interesting, but I've promised myself I won't be overly dissapointed with 8th.

I will be interested in the form table since Unai took over if we are top 6 with this squad I'll be ecstatic! 

Edited by zab6359