Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

38 minutes ago, KMitch said:

So much doom and gloom in here...

• Brighton have 5 games in 15 days to close the season out...  Arsenal & Newcastle away, Southampton & Man City at home, and finishing up at Villa Park.  It's very possible they only pick up 6 more points before the final match (Everton & Southampton).  If we pick up 6 points in our next 3 games, Brighton come to Villa Park only a point ahead of us and the winner of the game decides who finishes 6th and who finishes 7th.
  • Spurs have to play a surging Palace, the mighty Villa, Brentford, and end the season at Elland Road where Leeds might need to get something out of that game to survive.  I don't see them getting more points than us if we beat them.  

Basically, if Brighton pick up more than a point against Man City, Arsenal, and Newcastle, we probably won't catch them for 6th unless we win out.  If not, the last game of the season will decide which one of us gets the Europa League and which gets the Conference League.  

So Spurs are out of it are they?

I can't see more than 4 points from our next 3 and I think we also draw with Brighton. So 5 more points for us.

As for Brighton, I think they will get maybe another 10 points or so.

That would put them 6 clear of us at the end of the season. Which is about what I think.

They will get 6th and Spurs will get 7th but I'm hopeful we can get 8th due to us having a decent lead over Brentford. We will not be finishing in top 6.

Edited by GlobalVillan

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I can't see more than 4 points from our next 3 and I think we also draw with Brighton. So 5 more points for us.

That would put them 6 clear of us at the end of the season. Which is about what I think.

They will get 6th and Spurs will get 7th but I'm hopeful we can get 8th due to us having a decent lead over Brentford. We will not be finishing in top 6.

Anything above 7th is a big ask. 7th isn't going to be easy. We HAVE to beat Tottenham.

Brighton got 9 minutes of injury time, we got 4. What the f....! 

It’s all down to us. If we win our next two matches then we will still be in the mix for sixth when we go to Anfield. Who knows what will happen then? Things can change very quickly. We just need to focus on lifting our own performance and getting those three point’s tomorrow. We then focus on Spurs. It’s all to play for.

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Anything above 7th is a big ask. 7th isn't going to be easy. We HAVE to beat Tottenham.

Brighton got 9 minutes of injury time, we got 4. What the f....! 

I didn’t watch the game but maybe there were injuries ?

Over the season Brighton deserve top 6 at the very least. They have been one of the best teams in the league. 

12 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Just don’t understand the pessimism of us but the optimism of Brighton yet our form is better over the last few months and since Emery started and you think they are going to beating at least one of the top three in you second paragraph while we struggle at “at the beach” Wolves and Spurs who are all over the place and have a massive hole in their defence.  Just baffles me! The defeat to Man U by a solitary deflected goal is the first defeat we’ve had in months, we scored in something like 20 games on the trot, both us and Brighton have small squads.  Brighton could’ve easily lost last night with the chances Utd had but they picked up a good three points but they got exposed.  I just don’t get the pessimism for us but optimism for them. Just baffles me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I didn’t watch the game but maybe there were injuries ?

Over the season Brighton deserve top 6 at the very least. They have been one of the best teams in the league. 

and we don’t?  We got hamstrung by a rubbish coach at the start of the season yet still performed so well that we still have a shot of Top 6.  We deserve Top6 just as much as Brighton.  We started behind the pack and been tremendous since Emery came in and only behind points of Arsenal and Man City during Emery’s tenure…that deserves top 6.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just don’t understand the pessimism of us but the optimism of Brighton yet our form is better over the last few months and since Emery started and you think they are going to beating at least one of the top three in you second paragraph while we struggle at “at the beach” Wolves and Spurs who are all over the place and have a massive hole in their defence.  Just baffles me! The defeat to Man U by a solitary deflected goal is the first defeat we’ve had in months, we scored in something like 20 games on the trot, both us and Brighton have small squads.  Brighton could’ve easily lost last night with the chances Utd had but they picked up a good three points but they got exposed.  I just don’t get the pessimism for us but optimism for them. Just baffles me.

I think we will be 4 points behind Brighton by Monday night and having played a game more. I don't think we will beat Wolves. Even if we do, I think the lack of fresh players to come in, coupled with our remaining fixtures and current points total, makes it hugely unlikely.

That's not pessimism it's realism and I'm surprised that you are so baffled at the notion we could finish below the teams we are currently below.

Also, Brighton have 2 extra games to play and so I think they will get more points in their last 6 games as we will in our last 4. Is that baffling as well?

Bizarre.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, nick76 said:

and we don’t?  We got hamstrung by a rubbish coach yet still performed so well that we still have a shot of Top 6.  We deserve Top6 just as much as Brighton.  We started behind the pack and been tremendous since Emery came in and only behind points of Arsenal and Man City during Emery’s tenure…that deserves top 6.

Yes we do but not every team that deserves it can get there.  My post was just about Brighton rather than us.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and we don’t?  We got hamstrung by a rubbish coach at the start of the season yet still performed so well that we still have a shot of Top 6.  We deserve Top6 just as much as Brighton.  We started behind the pack and been tremendous since Emery came in and only behind points of Arsenal and Man City during Emery’s tenure…that deserves top 6.

No it doesnt. You know the only thing that deserves top 6?

Finishing top 6. Nothing else. Not how you perform for 20 games.

And that's extremely unlikely this season. We needed more than 4 points from the last 9.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

I think we will be 4 points behind Brighton by Monday night and having played a game more. I don't think we will beat Wolves. Even if we do, I think the lack of fresh players to come in, coupled with our remaining fixtures and current points total, makes it hugely unlikely.

That's not pessimism it's realism 

Nope that’s pessimism not realism.

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I'm surprised that you are so baffled at the notion we could finish below the teams we are currently below.

Baffled that somebody that’s goes home and away as I believe you do think we are going to struggle so badly over the next four games, given how we’ve played under Emery, even recently.  Baffled that you think, despite the home stats of Arsenal and Newcastle, and City’s domination that Brighton whose form over the last couple of months has been patchy are going to at the very least get a win but probably more. 

As disappointing it would be to miss out on Europe (should it happen, I’m still hopeful we’ll make it), finishing 8th is still amazing considering all that’s happened. Next season we will have a clean run at the league, with two domestic cups to go for too. A solid transfer window and an Emery preseason (a much different beast to a Gerrard preseason), and we could be flying out of the traps. 

Of course there are no guarantees for the future, a lot can change in the Premier League landscape, so it absolutely makes sense to strike now, while the iron’s hot. But if we just fall short, so be it. We will take the learning and keep improving. It won’t be the end of the world.

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 4

Just now, nick76 said:

Nope that’s pessimism not realism.

Baffled that somebody that’s goes home and away as I believe you do think we are going to struggle so badly over the next four games, given how we’ve played under Emery, even recently.  Baffled that you think, despite the home stats of Arsenal and Newcastle, and City’s domination that Brighton whose form over the last couple of months has been patchy are going to at the very least get a win but probably more. 

Baffled that I think Brighton, who are above us, will stay above us, given they have 2 extra games to play and are already above us?

This literally makes no logical sense. It's statistically the most likely outcome and you find if "baffling" that I think it will happen?

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

No it doesnt. The only thing that deserves top 6?

Finishing top 6. Nothing else. Not how you perform for 20 games.

And that's extremely unlikely this season. We needed more than 4 points from the last 9.

It’s not extremely unlikely in the slightest, that’s blatantly false. I’ve explained how I think it might happen which is just as realistic as your predictions.  Wit may not happen but I still think there is a great chance if we do our bit.  I still think it’ll be a shoot out on the final day of the season imo.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Brighton whose form over the last couple of months has been patchy are going to at the very least get a win but probably more. 

No thats not what I said.

I think they will beat one of Arsenal, Newcastle or Man City and both of Everton and Southampton, then get a draw with us. 

10 more points.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

Baffled that I think Brighton, who are above us, will stay above us, given they have 2 extra games to play and are already above us?

This literally makes no logical sense. It's statistically the most likely outcome and you find if "baffling" that I think it will happen?

Of course it makes sense given it’s statistically likely given Arsenals and Newcastles home record they’ll lose them and with City they’ll be statistically likely to lose

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No thats not what I said.

I think they will beat one of Arsenal, Newcastle or Man City and both of Everton and Southampton, then get a draw with us. 

10 more points.

Says 10 points or so

40 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

So i said

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Baffled that you think, despite the home stats of Arsenal and Newcastle, and City’s domination that Brighton whose form over the last couple of months has been patchy are going to at the very least get a win but probably more

So we are agreeing, what you said? That you believe they’ll beat one of them.

Anyway I think they’ll beat Everton and Saints, get six points, I’ll allow for a sneaky draw although against one of the Top 3.  Then we’ll beat Wolves and Spurs, so shoot out for final day…draw or win for Brighton means they finish higher, a win for us means we’ll finish higher.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Of course it makes sense given it’s statistically likely given Arsenals and Newcastles home record they’ll lose them and with City they’ll be statistically likely to lose

Well then we will also be losing to Spurs, Brighton and Liverpool in that case.

I don't think we will lose all 3 of those but I can't see us winning them either. 

Let's see what happens but Brighton are the overwhelming favourites to finish top 6, followed by Spurs and then finally us.

Just now, nick76 said:

Says 10 points or so

So i said

So we are agreeing, what you said? That you believe they’ll beat one of them

No. Read it again. You said I predicted they would get 3 points from those games "but probably more"

That's the bit I disagreed with as I didn't say it.