Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Whilst it great to have them all back in training, I will be surprised to see any of them start tomorrow. Match fitness compared to training are 2 different things. Always amazed me when Grealish came back from his 3 month injuries completely match fit! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

Whilst it great to have them all back in training, I will be surprised to see any of them start tomorrow. Match fitness compared to training are 2 different things. Always amazed me when Grealish came back from his 3 month injuries completely match fit! 

Don’t need to start though, but refreshers at 60, 70 minute marks depending on how the game is going, even in the 80, 85 to see out the game.  Options, fresh legs and strength…all helps.

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think it’s a long shot, it’s a reasonable chance.

We beat at the beach Wolves, out of sorts Spurs. Brighton lose to the Top 3.  Then it’s depending on Spurs.  All very reasonable predictions.

Then a one-off game against Brighton at Villa Park.  Do you want to back against Emery in that one off game?

Brighton just beat a top 4 side and they are a point ahead of us with a vastly superior goal difference and 3 games in hand so yes it's a long shot to finish ahead of them. We are fighting spurs now for 7th imo but yes if we win all our remaining games who knows 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, WHY said:

He must have continued to train hard while in rehab 👀 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Brighton just beat a top 3 side and they are a point ahead of us with a vastly superior goal difference and 3 games in hand so yes it's a long shot to finish ahead of them. We are fighting spurs now for 7th imo but yes if we win all our remaining games who knows 

I get they beat Man U but it was at home in the 98th and it was a penalty.  Great result and makes it harder for us but certainly not long shot based on games to be played.

They play Arsenal and Newcastle away where both teams are incredibly strong at home and have only lost 1 each at home.  Then they play City who are all conquering at the moment.  

They could’ve just as easily lost against Man U based on the game.  

Playing away at arguably better teams, more inform teams will be harder.  So I disagree it’s a long shot.  

They aren’t favourites by a good margin in each of those games so if they do go on to lose them then they can only get six points before they play us.  

So we have a reasonable chance of beating Wolves and then Spurs at home, so it’s not a long shot in my mind, it’s a reasonable chance.  Fair analysis on each game suggests we still have a reasonable chance of 6th…far from a long shot.

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Brighton just beat a top 4 side and they are a point ahead of us with a vastly superior goal difference and 3 games in hand so yes it's a long shot to finish ahead of them. We are fighting spurs now for 7th imo but yes if we win all our remaining games who knows 

They have two games in hand not three, and those games are away to Newcastle and home to Man City, which they could very well come away with no points from. We then only have to match their results in the other 3 games, and we'll be within touching distance of them when we meet on the final day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They have two games in hand not three, and those games are away to Newcastle and home to Man City, which they could very well come away with no points from. We then only have to match their results in the other 3 games, and we'll be within touching distance of them when we meet on the final day.

Yeah I think that’s the key there. We beat Wolves and Spurs, we’ll be in touching distance most likely. 

One game at a time though. Need to play Wolved smart and blow the doors off Spurs at VP. 

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I get they beat Man U but it was at home in the 98th and it was a penalty.  Great result and makes it harder for us but certainly not long shot based on games to be played.

They play Arsenal and Newcastle away where both teams are incredibly strong at home and have only lost 1 each at home.  Then they play City who are all conquering at the moment.  

They could’ve just as easily lost against Man U based on the game.  

Playing away at arguably better teams, more inform teams will be harder.  So I disagree it’s a long shot.  

They aren’t favourites by a good margin in each of those games so if they do go on to lose them then they can only get six points before they play us.  

So we have a reasonable chance of beating Wolves and then Spurs at home, so it’s not a long shot in my mind, it’s a reasonable chance.  Fair analysis on each game suggests we still have a reasonable chance of 6th…far from a long shot.

Yes you are right if we can take care of our own results we still have a reasonable chance. Win at Wolves is a must and maybe they will drop points against Everton and things look very different 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yes sorry my mistake 

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yeah I think that’s the key there. We beat Wolves and Spurs, we’ll be in touching distance most likely. 

One game at a time though. Need to play Wolved smart and blow the doors off Spurs at VP. 

One game at a time is all we can do.  If we fall short, we fall short.  We've given the teams above us a massive head start, yet we're still in with a shout, 8th would still be a fantastic finish.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

If chelsea get their act together next season it might be easier winning the conference league to get into europa league rather than finishing top 6.

I think that’s going to be true the majority of years in the Prem. This year West Ham are in a PL relegation scrap and still breezed their group in the Conference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

It's just 2 games in hand, and those 2 games are Man City and Newcastle away who between them have lost just 2 home games all season. It's not that cut and dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, if we beat Wolves tomorrow and Spurs lose.

And then we beat Spurs the following weekend.

We'll be six points clear of Spurs with two games to go and with better goal difference?

That'd be nice.

It would also make it hard not to get disappointed if we then didn’t make it to 7th (at least).

At the moment it’s great because I’m just enjoying the ride, didn’t expect to be here so just taking it as it comes. If that scenario you wrote comes to pass I think expectation levels will rise unilaterally.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's just 2 games in hand, and those 2 games are Man City and Newcastle away who between them have lost just 2 home games all season. It's not that cut and dry.

The two games in hand could technically be any of the games they have left.

Why do we keep labelling them as " Against Newcastle and Man City " as some sort of solace?

They are already ahead of us, they could technically lose those two games and still finish ahead of us.

Our best hope is Tottenham

• Thanks 1