Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

34 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They aren't a worry. Points on the board always. The rescheduled games in hand are Newcastle City and Manure and they have as bad of not worse injury depth issues as us and look what happened vs Forest oh and ridiculous amount of games to be played over short period

I agree, I think we can finish above Brighton. I think Liverpool will finish 5th and its between us and spurs for 6th. 

Liverpool seem to have found a bit of form. TAA is playing midfield and Jota is back and scoring 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Top 4 is done imo. United still have 2 games in hand on us and are 6 points ahead

Their run in is also easier than ours: 

• Us & Brighton...both in the next 7 days. So maybe they'll be shattered...
  • Then: West Ham, Wolves, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Fulham

We would need to beat United, Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton. That would have us on 69 points and then hope United don't somehow get 10 points from their last 6 games

4th is sadly not very likely. ManU only need 10 points in 7 matches to be sure to finish above us. But if they continue to play like they did in the second half today, they could lose out on 4th place. I don’t know, but ManU losing out on 4th place would somehow make me happy, and if we are the one that robs them of 4th place, I be laughing for most of the summer.

Most important is that we win on Sunday, and we see where that takes us.

Whilst I would love European football... I was wondering if it really matters to Villa/ the players when it's not Champions League.

Commercially I'm guessing it is of minimal benefit unless CL, and also get the impression that players are no more likely to join us than if we finished 9th - they'll look at the project and the hopes of CL in the future?

Other than fans enjoyment, will it make any notable difference in income/ transfer power between if we come 5th or 9th? Just interested.

Nice looking up finally though.

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I agree, I think we can finish above Brighton. I think Liverpool will finish 5th and its between us and spurs for 6th. 

Liverpool seem to have found a bit of form. TAA is playing midfield and Jota is back and scoring 

Think Liverpool will stick 3-4 past Spurs so their GD should take another hammering regardless what we do in Manchester.

If Spurs had a Leeds or Everton type opponent next I'd worry they'd win that and start building momentum like Liverpool did coming from 2 down at home to Arsenal but a thrashing at Anfield should put a stop to that. Palace and Brentford will be tricky home matches for them to win aswell way they're defending.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think Liverpool will stick 3-4 past Spurs so their GD should take another hammering regardless what we do in Manchester.

If Spurs had a Leeds or Everton type opponent next I'd worry they'd win that and start building momentum like Liverpool did coming from 2 down at home to Arsenal but a thrashing at Anfield should put a stop to that. Palace and Brentford will be tricky home matches for them to win aswell way they're defending.

Pool Spurs draw not the worst result

Looking at the table tonight, (sadly) a familiar pattern seems to be emerging with the top of the table, with the exception that Newcastle have replaced Chelski.  Dippers are coming into form and will probably get fifth.  Our best hope is that Spuds continue their decline, but their fightback tonight will undoubtedly give them some confidence.  I think we're in a straight fight with them for sixth.  Citeh will probably beat Arsenal to the title and it's more-or-less business as usual at the top end.  No doubt that Sky will get their way again courtesy of a few dodgy decisions in favour of the dippers and spuds during the run-in. 

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

Dippers are coming into form and will probably get fifth.  Our best hope is that Spuds continue their decline, but their fightback tonight will undoubtedly give them some confidence.  

Liverpool play Spurs next. Sounds like they both will beat each other

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst I would love European football... I was wondering if it really matters to Villa/ the players when it's not Champions League.

Players will be dying to play to Europa.  Yes some like Emi have played and won bigger things but many haven’t or very little like Konsa, Ollie, Dougie, Buendia etc and even the ones who have will be wanting European football.  Yes CL is the main thing by a long way but I don’t get where the disrespect of Europa comes from.

Commercially I'm guessing it is of minimal benefit

What? It’s good money, not CL money but good money and commercially is great because being a European playing team and the exposure that comes with that.

Other than fans enjoyment, will it make any notable difference in income/ transfer power between if we come 5th or 9th? Just interested.

Yes massively.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Form and refs in their back pocket 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Commercially I'm guessing it is of minimal benefit unless CL, and also get the impression that players are no more likely to join us than if we finished 9th - they'll look at the project and the hopes of CL in the future?

Can I have your ticket for the semi final when we face Benfica or Juventus? 

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I think it matters for sure. Obviously CL is the ultimate but Europa League is a very decent tournament full of huge clubs, and arguably a stronger tournament now that the Conference League has been hived off. 

I'm not sure the Conference League is a huge draw in and of itself, but it would be a good experience for the fans and players as long as it doesn't kill our league form. 

We need 8 points including wins over Spurs and Brighton. We then need to hope Spurs only get 7 points from the Palace, Brentford and Leeds games.

We need Leeds to not be relegated or safe come the final day.