Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

On 07/02/2023 at 07:39, CVByrne said:

IT was never really possible to get into the top 7. I said 9th was the real target. As the Big 6 + Newcastle and Brighton are not realistically teams we can overhaul. Fulham and Brentford are the two key targets we need to be zoned in on. 

We've three really tough games now City, Arsenal and away at Everton.

It's not beyond reason Everton could be a point behind us after those games 💀

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’ll be closer to relegation than we will be to a European spot. Wolves and Leicester will both catch us. 

Stuff like this I don't get.

Should the players just get a pass for chucking in another end of season like March-May last year which was totally rubbish.

Dosen't exactly spell much hunger or confidence if not many of them are that desperate to prove themselves under UE.

If they can play like they did for first 5-6 games of his reign we can get points off Chelsea and Liverpool and beat Spurs again and 50-55 points should still be realistic and in circumstances that is a pretty good effort.

Just meekly accepting low 40s points tally isn't good enough, that's only another 3 wins really so sooner or later we're going to need to raise standards at this club again rather than be grateful we're not in a serious relegation battle.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Ten hag: “sir Alex told me the premier league begins in march”

There we go, Just need to hang in there until March.

This sounds like some excuse that Steve Bruce has said in the past 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If we best City (that if doing Herculean levels of lifting there), you'd have to think that'd galvanise a real push at this. It'll mean we can beat anyone really. United, Spurs, Brighton, City. We'd just need consistency. Games like Leicester and Wolves at home we have to start stamping out if we want to stand a chance.

• Like 1

I don't think the squad is anything like Unai wants at this moment in time and whilst he will obviously be pushing to win every game he won't be expecting, or be expected to get, a European place.

The summer will see a reshaping of the squad and with a full pre season I would expect us to be aiming for a much more realistic challenge on the top 7

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’ll be closer to relegation than we will be to a European spot. Wolves and Leicester will both catch us. 

With statements like this you can't have much confidence in Unai Emery and obviously don't rate him any higher than Gerrard. Sounds like something a bluenose would say.

Even if Emery just gets 22 points from our final 17 games, we get to 50 points and we won't finish any lower than where are now, 11th, if that happens. That's 1.29 points a game and we're currently averaging 1.33 points a game despite having 11 games of Gerrard ball. Given that 10 of our final 17 games are definitely winnable, we should win at least half of those 10 games and surely will pull off at least a couple more wins on top of that as well as a few draws. So I think it's pretty likely we get to 50 points if not more than that. Another thing to mention is in all of Emery's career he has never won less than 46% of his games as a manager. So a minimum of 7 wins out of our remaining 17 games seems a reasonable expectation.

Also, you seem to overrate Wolves and Leicester. Both are in good runs of form but that won't last all season. If Leicester lose Maddison again they will lose form and only a couple of weeks ago they lost four in a row, we should also have beaten them too if we hadn't given them three goals. Wolves have a very good manager but after their next game have four really difficult games in a row which they may not get many points from.

I really don't get the negativity on here sometimes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We’ve missed a big opportunity by losing to Leicester. Even Newcastle lost points. Hard for us to make up for points against City and Arsenal but hopefully we can beat City tomorrow somehow and keep this going.

We need a big March, at least 7 points from Palace-West Ham-Bournemouth.

Palace and Bournemouth are pretty limited attacking currently and even though West Ham have picked up they're still not scoring that many and hopefully Emery is finally the one who gets us beating them for first time in ages.

I wanted 40 points by time of international break but bar a shock win in next week that's a big ask. 36-38 points is still very possible though and I don't think we'll be that far off some of the teams ahead of us, Brighton-Fulham next weekend for example.

On 11/02/2023 at 20:31, abdulaziz1 said:

We’ve missed a big opportunity by losing to Leicester. Even Newcastle lost points. Hard for us to make up for points against City and Arsenal but hopefully we can beat City tomorrow somehow and keep this going.

A real momentum killer. Seen it so many, many, times at Villa.

To be honest European qualification, was never going to be determined by our games at Citeh and at home to the Gooners, anything we were/are able to get from those two games was always going to be a bonus. Leicester was another matter, that was a game we started favourites to win, but as has so often happened in the past, we failed to do so.

We have 16 games left now. I think a realistic target from those games is 22 points. That would leave us on 50 points at the end of the season, short of the top 7 and European qualification, but in the top half. That would show a marked improvement on our situation, when UE joined the club. I would be very satisfied with that, but that said, 60 points would be nice...

image.jpeg.36e0f831fe9da53396b4026f48eac056.jpeg

• Like 1

50 points and 10th/11th will be it for the season I think. Get the season over ASAP with yet another "Big Summer" ahead, only this time the bloke in charge of it is worth trusting. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and see us have a real bash at 60 points but that's going to take 9 or 10 wins from the remaining games and I don't think we have it in us, barring a miracle (i.e. Diego Carlos coming back and having a monster 2 or 3 months)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wict01 said:

50 points and 10th/11th will be it for the season I think. Get the season over ASAP with yet another "Big Summer" ahead, only this time the bloke in charge of it is worth trusting. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and see us have a real bash at 60 points but that's going to take 9 or 10 wins from the remaining games and I don't think we have it in us, barring a miracle (i.e. Diego Carlos coming back and having a monster 2 or 3 months)

55 points should still be a target I reckon. Seems very optimistic but if we can have a strong March and also get something at Everton then you're 19 points from last 12 games I think so suddenly much more realistic.

• Like 1

First objective: beat last seasons points total (45) and finish higher in the table than 14th

Second objective: exceed 50 points and finish top half for the first time since 2011

Third objective: end the season really strongly and finish on 55-60 points and sneak into 7th

Personally I think the first two are more than doable, even if we get more than 50 points but finish 11th that is still encouraging and we only missed top 10 because the other sides did well. The third is difficult but we are capable, we would need to win all the games we should and win at least a couple of harder fixtures too but we have shown we can do that.