Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Before the game I said to myself if he get 6/7 points from Palace, West Ham & Bournmouth then we should have a fresh look to see if we can finish in the european places.

We have 3 lets see if we can get at least 1 win from the next two, before writing us off.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would be a very exciting final day if we went into it two points off Brighton as I think they're certs to finish in the top 6 based on their quality.

They are four points ahead, two games in hand and a 21 goal better goal difference and a very nice run of games coming up.  The way they are playing we aren’t going to be two points behind them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

They are four points ahead, two games in hand and a 21 goal better goal difference and a very nice run of games coming up.  The way they are playing we aren’t going to be two points behind them.

Yes i agree. Dont mean to sound negative but there is absolutely no chance we are getting europe this year. We aint there yet. As good as emery is he isnt a miracle worker

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

All I want is for us to get to Europe. 

Just like ... West Ham?

I always forget that you can get to Europe and then suck.

giphy.gif

The difference with this is West Ham have Sullivan as owner who when they qualified probably told the team 'well done lads. Here's a tenner each for a pint'. If we got into Europe I think NSWE would really try to maintain it and we'd see some serious spending to build out the squad. Newcastle will do the same

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bournemouth home, Forest home, Leicester away, Brentford away. Those are four matches I think we can/will win in similar manner to today and last week. No frills but defensively solid (we certainly won't be passing around our 18 yard box away to Leicester after what happened at VP). Brentford won't have Toney when we go there.

Then you have the 50/50 games v West Ham, Wolves, Fulham that really could go either way.

Then the 40/60 games at home to Newcastle and Spurs where we could win but probably won't if those teams are at full strength.

And Liverpool, Chelsea and Man. United away majority would gladly take a point as will be backs to the wall.

I think at this point 5 wins and 3/4 draws is about par and will get us to 53/55 points. Six wins or over and it will get very exciting for the closing weeks.

Would be a very exciting final day if we went into it two points off Brighton as I think they're certs to finish in the top 6 based on their quality.

While I think the thought of catching Brighton is a bit beyond us, I think you’re basically bang on with the breakdown of the games/points target.

Although with our current form, it’s funny that I’m looking at the away games at Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool and I’m thinking a point or three is quite feasible but I’m looking at Fulham and Brighton at home and I’m thinking that’s a tough couple of fixtures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I've said before I can see them getting 4th which will be refreshing for league so dosen't feel we'll get close to them. However they still have all of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs away in the run in and Man. City at home so we need to win the games on the weekends they have those fixtures (of course they could get points off some of those fixtures) and see how far we are off them then and win on the final day obviously.

Also got Man. United at home and that is cancelled now as it's on FA cup 6th round weekend so with us being at home to Bournemouth that's a chance to really get close to them and see what they do in their spare games.

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

I could see us eclipsing Brentford and maybe Fulham by the end, assuming they drop off a bit and we improve, but beyond that would require a really exceptional run from us I think

I find it hard to believe Chelsea are going to win 8-10 games in the run in given they're hardly even scoring a goal. Look at their fixtures aswell.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

The difference with this is West Ham have Sullivan as owner who when they qualified probably told the team 'well done lads. Here's a tenner each for a pint'. If we got into Europe I think NSWE would really try to maintain it and we'd see some serious spending to build out the squad. Newcastle will do the same

West Ham was one of the big spenders in the summer, it just that their new signings didn’t work.

If we continue the points return from the matches under Emery for the rest of the season, we will end up with 58 points. Some seasons that have been enough to get into Europe, other seasons not. If we get into Europe we should change our plans for the summer, but it should make it easier to sign the players we want.

• Like 1

Think the Kamara injury ends any small chance we might have had of reaching Europe. Think we will end up at 11th unless Emery has something hidden up his sleeve.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Think the Kamara injury ends any small chance we might have had of reaching Europe. Think we will end up at 11th unless Emery has something hidden up his sleeve.

Depends how long he’s out though.

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Depends how long he’s out though.

Yeah obviously. Seen suggested that it's 6-8 weeks at least so not many games left if it's the latter.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah obviously. Seen suggested that it's 6-8 weeks at least so not many games left if it's the latter.

Hopefully it’s less than a month. Although it’s more of a hope than any other thing. We have West Ham and Bournemouth coming up, if we could grind wins there and he gets back at Leicester or Chelsea then hopefully we gave ourselves a good chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

O.k that's Liverpool to scrub off finishing above...

Hopefully they turn up for Brentford and Fulham at home and Chelsea away like today.

It’s more of Chelsea/Newcastle. I think if we finish above Chlesea or Brighton thn we could go to Europe. Liverpool was going to pull themselves but could’ve go bad for them, and not be that far. 
As much teams in the mix, the better for us. 
Anyway, let’s just see how it goes in the next couple of games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

O.k that's Liverpool to scrub off finishing above...

Already had.

On 25/02/2023 at 22:30, tomsky_11 said:

Also, about four or five games ago I had a go at predicting the remaining results for the teams currently 4th down to us in 11th. I think I had us in 9th on 56 points then.

As of now the remaining predicted results give the following finishing table:

4th Liverpool 67

5th Newcastle 64

6th Spurs 62

7th BHA 61

8th Brentford 54

9th Chelsea 53

10th VILLA 53

11th Fulham 51

I can’t see us getting into Europe this time, so for me it’s about establishing and refining our style of play. With the right recruitment, we can hopefully mount a challenge next season 🤞

• Like 1

Isn't 8th high enough if one of the English clubs wins one of the European trophies? Not sure if I read that somewhere. 

Think something like if Man Utd win Europa and finish 4th then they qualify for the champions League twice, so all qualifications drop down a peg. Same for man city / spurs / Liverpool winning champions league and getting top 4. 

I don't think Fulham or Brentford finish above us so it's just a case of having a better run in than one of Brighton or Chelsea for me.