Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, John said:

I can't see us getting up to 7th this season. I'm very relieved to be looking up rather than down, as we were not too long ago. Top half would be a great achievement in my opinion, given where we were when UE took charge.  My target would be to stay above those below us and to get ahead of Brentford and Fulham. Getting ahead of one or two of the others would be terrific, but it would take one hell of a run-in.  

Agree with this. Can't see much better then a top half finish which would be quite an achievement given where we were when UE took over. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

9th-12th would be a great platform to go into next season with. 

For me it’s about the number of victories we get in the remaining 19 games and I think 10 wins is possible but finishing 9-12th is a good achievement in preparation for next season. 

• Like 1

6 points off Fulham, with a game in hand. I think they're definitely catchable. Brighton always have a mid-season run of poor form so that's another to keep an eye on, though I really doubt we'll finish above them. Brentford it's hard to say. Not to mention we need to likely finish above 1 of Chelsea or Liverpool as well. European football is going to be really tough to achieve this season, even in the form we're in.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

6 points off Fulham, with a game in hand. I think they're definitely catchable. Brighton always have a mid-season run of poor form so that's another to keep an eye on, though I really doubt we'll finish above them. Brentford it's hard to say. Not to mention we need to likely finish above 1 of Chelsea or Liverpool as well. European football is going to be really tough to achieve this season, even in the form we're in.

Agreed. Form has been excellent but performances are not sustainable. Emery has a massive job and he has started wonderfully well - just need a sense of realism about our chances. Good to dream though!

• Like 1

We should be looking at top 10 this season. I would have  taken top 12 and a deeper FA Cup run, but now we have to utilise our free time to build more cohesion for the remaining games and for next season. Hopefully we get a couple of big scalps at VP to see the season out.

I personally want us to beat Arsenal for Unai and Emi, especially how Arsenal fans have treated Martinez since he left the club. And to beat Newcastle, mainly due to that Sob On The Tyne tweet after they beat us, plus it would be nice to dent their European hopes. 

Edited by Villa_Vids

I’m going to completely jinx it now but…

IF Villa beat Southampton on Saturday, we are only 5 points behind Spurs in 5th.

We’ll have played the same amount of games as well. 

Weirdly we’ll stay in 11th position though!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’m going to completely jinx it now but…

IF Villa beat Southampton on Saturday, we are only 5 points behind Spurs in 5th.

We’ll have played the same amount of games as well. 

Weirdly we’ll stay in 11th position though!

Spurs vs Fulham
Liverpool vs Chelsea

Teams above us WILL drop points this weekend. Our chance to close to gap. Need to beat Southampton. 

2 minutes ago, picicata said:

A points deduction for one of the 'Sky 7'?

Hahahahaaaa

I'd agree.  But then Juve have just been deducted 15 points (although probably should have been relegated) so maybe the ESL has upset the powers that be...

I’m not sure that maximum of 5 year contract would hold up in court would it if tested? A restriction on employment like that wouldn’t be upheld.  It’s probably why Chelsea have ignored it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure that maximum of 5 year contract would hold up in court would it if tested? A restriction on employment like that wouldn’t be upheld.  It’s probably why Chelsea have ignored it.

Unfortunately the Sky 7’s lawyers are well prepared and will have done their homework regarding this. 

11 hours ago, messi11 said:

Chelsea surely gonna have a points deduction. So technically we're 10th in the Table now.

FIFA state that 5 year contract unless longer contracts are not in violation of that countries laws. Fabregas, KDB, Grealish et el have all had 6 year contracts. 6 years is rare but not uncommon. 

Secondly "getting around FFP" is a nonsense statement, they are giving these contracts to work within FFP. They also have an eye on the fact that UEFA changed FFP so as clubs now need to only spend 70% of their revenue on players salaries / amortisation. So for a club like Chelsea they need to pivot to a new model and reduce their wage bill. Longer contracts give the players more security so they can accept a lower wage. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and all the other clubs in PL and Europe who also ignored it because it doesn't violate their domestic laws, which is the stated statute of FIFA laws on contract length. Messi got a 7 year contract when he was 19 I believe. 

• Like 2